BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxie

I saw one of those last night!   :o
Say when

doctorb

SD

I agree.  There is nothing more haunting, and Canadian, than a bunch of loons sounding off after dark.  I love the Red-Tail, but the Loon is a special character, like most Canadians I know. ;)
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

If you ever get up to Jeff's place, you can here one or two loons in the lake nearby.  ;)

My uncle lives nearby the head pond of the river and we here them (usually one) early in the mornings during the summer.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

miking

Made a reservation for a birding tour in Kingsville Texas yesterday for my wife and I. Anybody been on this trip or done any south Texas birding?
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

Jeff

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 15, 2011, 07:41:12 PM
If you ever get up to Jeff's place, you can here one or two loons in the lake nearby.  ;)

My uncle lives nearby the head pond of the river and we here them (usually one) early in the mornings during the summer.

We are surrounded by lakes, and our home is under several flyways between some of the lakes. Pretty much every morning and evening while the Loons are north, you will hear them, and see them if you look, as they fly directly over the house. When ever I hear a loon, I think of the movie "On Golden Pond" and Katherine Hepburn's imitation of the loons.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yTwD7U_XV4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWCZ2mqGfIE
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

I think of "The Great Outdoors" for some reason.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

Speaking of birds!

I looked out the back window this morning and in the back corner of the little field behind the house there was a Blue Heron hunched up in the tree-line absorbing what little heat he could from the sun.

We had +4°F at 7:00 AM.

We went to town this afternoon and when we got back the Blue Heron was gone.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

I see them here until mid November, then they pack it in and head south. The last one I saw was 3 weeks ago on the shore of a brook.

Got down to 2F here this morning. That's quite a drop from the 30's and 40's we had for weeks.

nas

Quote from: doctorb on December 15, 2011, 06:00:33 PM
SD

I agree.  There is nothing more haunting, and Canadian, than a bunch of loons sounding off after dark.  I love the Red-Tail, but the Loon is a special character, like most Canadians I know. ;)
Hey!! I represent that comment >:( :-[ :-\ 8)

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

chain

Quote from: miking on December 18, 2011, 08:30:33 AM
Made a reservation for a birding tour in Kingsville Texas yesterday for my wife and I. Anybody been on this trip or done any south Texas birding?

My bird adviser [bil] advised me he and his son had toured down near Harlingen, Brownsville, Rio Grande Valley area several years back. He says a great area for rare Central American species as well as western U.S. birds. He mentioned seeing a 'Crane Hawk' and the Vermillion Flycatcher, alias.. 'little coal of fire'. Have a great time & Merry Christmas!

thecfarm

I have 4 ponds close by me,that can be seen from the road common to see a couple loons in any of the ponds. We lived close to one growing up and my brother could do a good loon call.
I put out some bird food a good month ago and have not seen a bird come to it,no chickadees,finches,nut hatches,nothing. Just like there is a blanket over The C Farm feeder. We always use to get a steady flow of something.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

miking

Quote from: chain on December 18, 2011, 11:00:22 PM
Quote from: miking on December 18, 2011, 08:30:33 AM

My bird adviser [bil] advised me he and his son had toured down near Harlingen, Brownsville, Rio Grande Valley area several years back. He says a great area for rare Central American species as well as western U.S. birds. He mentioned seeing a 'Crane Hawk' and the Vermillion Flycatcher, alias.. 'little coal of fire'. Have a great time & Merry Christmas!

Thanks. I got a few birding brochures from the Kingsville area talking about the great stuff we will likely see, but all brochures say that, lol. I do know that there are several border-area-only hawks I would like to see and a bunch of songbirds as well as the whooping crane festival just north of Kingsville in Feb. We'll be early for that, but the birds should be there anyway.BY the way, there were 5 whooping cranes sighting just north of me last week.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

SwampDonkey

With an open mild fall there seems to be lots for the birds to eat. I see lots of chickadees, blue jays, doves, buntings, finches, junco and so on in the yard and I never feed the birds. I saw a robin a week ago.

sandhills

SD, what kind of doves?  We have mourning doves or "turtle doves" around here but they usually disappear with the first frost, I'm suprised you'd have them this late in the year.

chain

As for as doves go we have more and more Eurasian-collared doves each year. They're more hardy than I ever thought they could be and tough it out during the ice and snows staying around nearly all winter. The mourning doves will, on occasion, get caught in a long, sub-freezing spell and die by the hundreds.

I've been feeding several with cracked-corn and sunflowers, they're a beautiful dove.

SwampDonkey

Sandhills, we have morning doves year around as well as rock doves. Put out a bird feeder around here and both will show up. I see the doves on the gravel shoulder of roads all winter. The morning doves roost in the spruce behind the house, they are in pairs. Starlings stay here all winter to, wish they would go extinct.

sandhills

We have had a new dove move in in the last couple years, I wonder if it's the eurasian-collared dove that you are talking about chain, looks a lot like a mourning dove (maybe a little lighter colored) but about the size of a pigeon ???  They stay here year around, SwampDonkey, you seem to think the same of starlings as I do  ;) we get them by the millions during the winter, especially around feedyards.

Kansas

Its quite a sight to see starlings around a feedlot. Friend of mine that has one once tried to poison them. K State university told him how much they were eating in feed a year. He finally gave up; with other feedlots in the area, if he did kill his, all the others would move in. Kind of sad when I go out there and you might see a 1000 lb fat calf sitting down, with half a dozen starlings sitting on him, including one perched on his head. They have also gotten so thick that 2 or 3 times a year they sit so close on the power lines to his feed mill that they short across where the transformer is, and pop the line fuse.

chain

Quote from: sandhills on December 20, 2011, 01:25:38 AM
We have had a new dove move in in the last couple years, I wonder if it's the eurasian-collared dove that you are talking about chain, looks a lot like a mourning dove (maybe a little lighter colored) but about the size of a pigeon ???  They stay here year around, SwampDonkey, you seem to think the same of starlings as I do  ;) we get them by the millions during the winter, especially around feedyards.

The collared dove will have the tell-tale dark,"ring-around-the collar" of his neck. MDC has included these doves in the bag limit as well as white-winged and common turtle dove.

Speaking of nusiance fowl, we have tens of thousands, even maybe hundreds of thousands of 'Sky Carp' feeding in all the flooded rice-fields..sky-carp..are snow geese, looked upon by most wheat farmers as a nusiance, almost unlimited bag possession on them as in early spring the geese turn to the wheat pulling it up by the roots. But on the plus side, a farmer may have tens of thousands of geese feeding in his field..that's alot of free fertilizer! ;D

Autocar

Sence were not feeding sunflower seeds this winter are bird feeding is pretty sad. Ive been buying regular bird seed and have seen a couple of nut hatchers bluejays woodpeckers but mostly regular old barn sparrows. I blame alot of it on our farming country, all the fence lines are gone and cover is getting to be something of the past. I rather have the tree lined creeks and fence rows but Iam afarid its all but over around here  :(
Bill

miking

Same here. I went on our Christmas bird count last weekend and we only came up with ~ 40 species, none of them particularly unusual and I was counting in rural country. Mostly we picked up crows and starlings with surprisingly few house sparrows. We are starting to seed more Eurasian tree sparrows here as well as collared doves although I saw none on the count. Your comment about fence rows reminded me about bobwhite's, which we haven't seen or heard around here for years.

Autocar

We lost almost all game birds and rabbits in 1978 from a blizzard and they never did come back. Pretty sad but not alot a fellow can do about it.
Bill

Patty

We have lost our pheasant due to harsh winters these past 10 years or so. Back in the 70's & 80's, pheasant were plentiful....but the winters were very mild back then. This year we are having a very mild winter, temps in the 40's F and no rain or snow. This should help the pheasants unless we get a lot of rain in the spring.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Onthesauk

Another email from my Sister, north of Ketchikan:

"the big news here is i watched an eagle/octopus battle a couple days ago. i looked out the window and saw an eagle at tideline right up to the beach with something he was picking at. got the binoculars and it was an octopus! and a big one, orange, arms maybe the length of my mine. when i moved to the window the eagle must have spotted me, spooked and he eventually flew off. then the octopus kind of re-grouped, got himself right-side up again and moved on. i suspect he had a headache from the eagle's pecking. octopus (octopi??) are common here at depths, but i've never seen one in the shallows." 
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

sandhills

Well now, there's something you don't see everyday, especially in Nebraska  ;D.

Thank You Sponsors!