iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Neighbors

Started by Peter Drouin, May 24, 2017, 06:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Pete,

I'll trade you a pair of fawns for pair of fox kits. :D

At one point all three fawns tried to nurse the same doe and she did not seem to mind. I don't think they are triplets. She might be the mother of twins and grandmother to the third one.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Yes they will readily nurse and also adopt other fawns.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I have not seen a fawn in years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Magicman on June 19, 2018, 01:46:06 PM
Yes they will readily nurse and also adopt other fawns.
I guess it was 14-15 years ago friends gave us a newborn fawn about the size of a cat he found beside a road killed doe. We had goats and raised her on goat milk which was a near perfect match to deer milk I guess. We called DNR for a permit and they would not give us one and told us to turn her loose where other deer were around. (They gave us a permit about that time for my son's baby raccoon but not for the deer). Our deer was free to go here but still came for a bottle. Our German Exchange student was out with Spot videoing her doing her Bambi routine. An old doe came and jumped the fence at a regular crossing above and behind our goat barn. Spot went over to meet her and sniff noses then came back and grabbed Neelee (Nee lah) pants legs as if to say "Goodbye" then followed the doe who went back and jumped the fence. Spot crawled through the field fence and followed the doe. Neelee got it all on video then came home crying because the little deer left. We told her that was okay as we just wanted her to be safe.

Two days later my wife and a neighbor kid walked the fence after a storm to check for limbs or trees on the fence. As they approached the house they heard a squeaking and looked up to see Spot running all spraddle legged running to them. The old doe would take her along but not feed her - but she may not have been nursing at the time as Neelee did not see a fawn with her when she jumped the fence. After that Spot stayed around our house for her bottle although the would readily go play with the wild deer. During antlerless season I jumped a yearling doe in the pasture and shot it. Spot jumped up about 30' away. I felt really bad about shooting her friend in front of her and would not have shot her if I'd known Spot was there. She followed me home and I gave her a fortune cookie and she forgave me. We kept an orange collar on her so we or our  neighbors did not shoot her by mistake. She stayed with us till she was a little over a year old then she just disappeared. I assume coyotes or wild dogs caught her because she was too dependable to come visit us.

Quote from: thecfarm on June 19, 2018, 01:52:43 PMI have not seen a fawn in years.
Sounds to me like you are living in an ecologically deprived area. Have you thought about moving? ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

Moving?  Down South?  Heaven Forbid :D.  The Grits Demons would torment him :).  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Can't. I still have more rocks to dig.  ;D
The deer are here. I see some. I've been seeing a lone one when I bring a load of rocks to cross a wet hole.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

The little guy got cot by a coyote I think. 

When I went to the mill and walked around the building I saw just a flag running away from me into the woods.
Coyote,  :rifle:
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WV Sawmiller

Peter,

I'm sorry for your loss. I really liked looking at the fox kits. I hope the rest fare better and you can get Mr. Wiley in your crosshairs real soon.
Howard Green

Peter Drouin

Don't see this too often, 3 of them.

See mom in the back.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WV Sawmiller

Peter,

Great picture. I bet there was another doe nearby. I first thought the 3 here at my place last week were triplets but then saw the second doe and all 3 did try to nurse the same doe. 

We often see 3 or 4 bedded down in the same area where the mom's left them. It is great fun watching them play and prance around.
Howard Green

thecfarm

Peter Drouin

There might be another mom around.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WV Sawmiller

Deer are coming out of the woods to my house daily. Will have 4-5 every day withing bow shot range of the house. Spotted fawns running and playing. One doe this afternoon was in the creek then feeding on the steep bank between the creek and the road. Then 30-40 minutes later I looked out and a pair of does feeding around my woodshed and around the tops and limbs I have dragged down but not cut up yet. I don't know where they parked their fawns but I am sure they were close.

That bank is awful steep but she makes it look easy to stand on.

I need to weedeat this bank and along the creek but the deer are enjoying the growth so much I have delayed this task.

Around my woodshed and future firewood. I wish that left deer would go ahead and eat that poison ivy on that dead ash.

I love watching deer scratch their ear with their hooves.
Howard Green

Peter Drouin

Nice pix. I leave some of my yard uncut too.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Don P

One of the two legged neighbors straightlined a corner on the state road above the sawmill just as I was coming up the mountain, I bought my old Chevy back for $117. Her mother put me in the ditch more than once right after she got her license too. I guess my reactions are slowing :D.

There are some bats that use the shop and spend the days up under the ridge. Their poop annoys me but other than that they do keep the bugs down. This is the third year in a row where owls have moved in right about the time I'm thinking I need to move the bats along.

Saturday I had one above me while I was working, since then it has been a pair.

Look under that rag just behind the kraft paper

They are hiding out from one another. I noticed this afternoon there must have been a truce, everyone was panting and trying to just stay cool. Rather amazing anyone is staying in there. I'm in a respirator and making noise, dust and fumes and this whole other drama is going on around, what is my small world anyway  :D

Peter Drouin

Maybe you can put up some bat houses out in your yard, that might get them out of there.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WV Sawmiller

I should do the same thing with the bat houses. We sometimes get them here under the eaves of the house and behind drain pipes and such. I always leave them as I like the insect control aspect.

I never get owls in my barn but wish they would come help control the mice who like to clean up the feed bins and such. We have them on the ridges all around and especially behind the house. Sometimes they start a regular conversation talking back and forth. It amazes me the different sounds they produce. I love to hear them arguing that way.
Howard Green

Don P

Well, it got crowded in there today. I got down to the shop about 1:30 and there were 4 owls in there. I just came up to the house and they had hung out in there all day. Its starting to feel like a Hitchcock movie  :D

Don P

Got a couple more pics of them today, one came out fairly decent. I was down to the last of the paint and just had a final coat on the hood to do, and blew it bigtime, orange peel, fisheye and tiger stripes, every possible defect, well until one of the owls looked down and pooped on it :D.

He's sitting on the veggie racetrack for the farmers market. I'll need to sand it and put a coat of poly on it before it gets used this year, the mold stripes are where the "wheels" got the wood wet and added food for the mold to get hold of. The kids get a kick out of building veggie racecars and running them down the track.

Peter Drouin

That's cool. Not the poop part. :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

My game eye was off target.  :D :D
But I do have a small Bear out there.  smiley_beertoast smiley_biggrin01
A&P saw Mill LLC.

samandothers

Don,
Recon the owl did not give a hoot about your paint.

Peter,
Nice bear butt!

Peter Drouin

I went to feed them today, Not that they need it this time of the year.

They were laying down in the grass.
Is that you daddy?

I'm comming.

Me too.

Is that you?  :D

I love my kids.
smiley_biggrin01
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

He's been watching me for a week now.