iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stickers

Started by Woodlandbuddies, November 07, 2018, 12:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodlandbuddies

A friend was using drywall strips he cut on table saw for stickers or spacers for air drying lumber. Is that a good idea?

Ljohnsaw

As in Sheetrock?  I don't think so.  It gets all soggy and falls apart.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

PA_Walnut

No. Bad idea.
Stickers are an important aspect to the process of drying and need to be adequate and proper material.

Is it fence boards or high-grade furniture materials?
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

moodnacreek

Stickers need to be dry, absorbent , breathable and narrow. On white woods like hard maple or w. pine that is to be finished this is very important.  They cannot be a wood that could stain like walnut.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The most common sticker size is 3/4" thick and 1-1/4 to 1-1/2" wide.  Just about any species can be used except walnut and other woods with water soluble chemicals.  Stickers should be dry...under 10% MC for most situations.

1x2 pine that is available at large stores are pretty good and not too expensive.  Just cut to length.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Woodlandbuddies

Ok thanks for the responses. I thought it would fall apart too. It is ash lumber most like to be used for furniture. I have always used pine or cedar or ash except if the pine is not dry it can get moldy.

Thank You Sponsors!