iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Oak 4/4 cost?

Started by rambo, March 04, 2013, 08:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rambo

What are you charging per board foot for 4/4 x 16' kiln dried Red oak? ???

drobertson

rambo, I don't sell kd lumber, what I know it depends on grade for starters, and next, possibly how much volume there is, and finally, if it is small quantities, however much someone is willing to pay,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

rambo

FAS and 1000 board feet if that helps to answer my question. Thanks.

drobertson

rambo, you could be sitting on a lil mint there, not knowing your total investment, and what you need to get out of the lot, but I would venture to say, if it all went, at least 2K bucks for starters, if you have wider boards than say 8-10"'s  it should go up to possibly 3K, and if they are S2S, or S4S it just depends on the buyer,  you have something to work with for sure, I would say just don't give it away,, knowing you won't just had to say it,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

rambo

David,
Thanks for the feedback. I am hoping to get $2.10 and up. Wider widths I hope fetch a little more.
rambo

drobertson

sounds reasonable to me, I was'nt sure either, but thinking you are in the ball park, if you divide it up the price should go up in my opinion,  you should find a woodworker that is looking for a stash, the only draw back if any is the length, many folks don't have the room to store 16' inside, just an observation,  hope all goes well for you man,  good job on getting it done,

NMFP

Find a millwork shop that produces moulding and sell it to them.  Its very difficult at times to come up with long length for base and crown and this may work for a millwork guy.  We used to have a difficult time finding 16' oak, especially wide widths so you could have some premium material, depending on color, grade and so on.

rambo

Great Idea. I will sniff around a little and see what I can come up with.

tyb525

On the same topic, do any of you increase the price per bf on wider boards, such as 10-12" versus 4-8"? I have about 300bf of red oak I'm looking to sell but I have several FAS boards 12" wide, I'm thinking I should charge more per bf for those versus the narrower boards, or seperate them and sell them individually.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

rambo

Add $0.20 for 10" to 12"

Add $0.40 for 12' and wider.

hackberry jake

Good thing you guys don't live in northwest Arkansas. I sell everything for .55-.65 from 4" to 20". Maybe I need to hire a truck and send you boys some lumber to peddle for me :) of course this is 8' stuff fresh off the saw. I guess 16' kd would have to bring a premium.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

tyb525

I hope you're not selling high quality hardwoods for that price :o I bet you could get more money out of some of the better lumber just by air drying it and marketing it towards those that use it, woodworkers, trim shops, etc. Air drying wouldn't take too much more work, just stack and sticker. Of course space is sometimes at a premium I know.

I'd venture to guess you sell the green boards to farmers?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

hackberry jake

Nope, the stuff I cut gets used for flooring in semi trailers.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

dgdrls

Local shop gets 4.25 B.F. for Red Oak.
Kiln Dried he gets his materials from a Conn. mill

http://www.memphishardwoodlumber.com/hardwoods.html

DGDrls

WDH

Ty,

I add $.50/BF for 10" and over.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rambo

DGDrls,
I checked out that price list. Those prices are double what it sells for around here. :o

WDH

It depends a lot on if you are talking tractor trailer loads at wholesale or small quantities at retail.  The price depends on the customer.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

CalebL

Quote from: hackberry jake on March 05, 2013, 05:06:37 PM
Good thing you guys don't live in northwest Arkansas. I sell everything for .55-.65 from 4" to 20". Maybe I need to hire a truck and send you boys some lumber to peddle for me :) of course this is 8' stuff fresh off the saw. I guess 16' kd would have to bring a premium.

You need to raise your price.  I'm getting $1 bf for red oak.  $1.25 for white. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

hackberry jake

Quote from: CalebL on March 05, 2013, 10:13:01 PM

Do you sell all you can produce? I guess what I am asking is, is this a limited market to local buyers?

rambo

Jake,
I am not from your neck of the woods but your prices do seem a bit low. ::)

tyb525

It's not my business how you run your business, I'd just hate to see you work yourself broke. That is, you might be have all the work you can handle, but if you aren't charging enough you'll still be broke, and even more worn out.

A couple years a go I figured it cost me around $.35/bf just to saw a log on my manual mill. That didn't include log handling or stacking the lumber afterwards, and only paying myself around $10/hr.

hackberry jake

I know the price is low and I could get more. And tyb, I prolly made around $10 an hr when I cut the oak but that is a long story. I have a day job and I don't get to mill very often. I haven't been milling up a storm because I think I can make a killing at .65 a bf that's for sure. It's just the only unlimited market I know of... Well that and ties.

dgdrls

Quote from: rambo on March 05, 2013, 09:27:36 PM
DGDrls,
I checked out that price list. Those prices are double what it sells for around here. :o

He is a specialty shop and actually stays busy, lots of trim and custom interior wood.
Anyway,  it's what the market will bear, no reason to believe your time, effort and materials
are any less valuable than those found at your local mill or custom hardwood shop.
Part time or full time shouldn't be a price factor from my perspective.
DGDrls

Cedarman

Just read on a wood manufacturing site that red oak prices are headed up.  Demand in China increasing and US flooring demand is increasing.  Supply limited by low output from mills.  Sounds like the time to be checking markets and looking for those that are short on red oak.
I talked to a logger last night who said a standing timber sale with 80% oak and 20% poplar sold closed bid for $.80 per foot.  He said timber prices have really went up. 
You hardwood guys may be in for an upward ride.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

CalebL

Quote from: hackberry jake on March 05, 2013, 11:23:41 PM
Quote from: CalebL on March 05, 2013, 10:13:01 PM

Do you sell all you can produce? I guess what I am asking is, is this a limited market to local buyers?

I don't have any extra laying around if that is what you mean.  It seems someone is always buying it as fast as I can cut it.  Especially the white oak.
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

Thank You Sponsors!