iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grouse

Started by stumpy, October 19, 2013, 08:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

Hey jeff(or anyone in the UP) I have a place up near Eagle River, WI.  Last two years we've noticed an increased number of spruce grouse. According to the DNR, they are not known to be this far south. Do you see them up by you?  Are they more common than Ruffed grouse?  Are the legal to hunt up there?
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

chevytaHOE5674

I don't ever remember seeing one in all of my travels and woods work UP here. On the other hand I see ruffed grouse all the time. Now that the leaves have dropped its time to do a little bird hunting in my spare time.

Quote from: Mchigan DNRSpruce grouse are fully protected in Michigan and, because they are rare, are listed on the Special Concern list

SwampDonkey

No limit on them here in NB that I know of. They are in the softwoods. I sometimes work in an area where they are quite thick. I have not seen any this year, but we have been in mixed and hardwood ground where the ruffies stay. I have found them on their nest in other years during spring time and you can actually pick the hen up like a chicken. They are not all that wild. I've always left them alone when hunting, the meat isn't that good.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

There is a pretty good population of Spruce Grouse on the East End of the U.P. from what I have observed. I had them around my property a few years back, but where you see them is around the farmland more.  We have a healthy Ruffed Grouse population, and I see them almost every time I go hunting. We have some sharptails as well. Still very few deer.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

colincb183

I don't think you can hunt them.  I remember seeing a warning in the small game hunting regulation book for Iron, Vilas, Oneida and maybe a few other counties not to shoot them.  There was also a guide to help tell the difference between ruffed and spruce grouse.

SwampDonkey

Was just checking our 2013 regulations here in NB and you can still bag 6 a day, same as ruffed grouse. Most hunters just leave them be.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sandhills

Never heard of spruce grouse before, I'll take a grouse, prairie chicken, or pheasant anyday over a regular chicken though.  When cooked right you can't beat 'em. 

stumpy

Spruce grouse are very easy to identify.  First they are alot darker, almost black compares to ruffed.  Also, they have a distinctive red spot by their eye.  I spoke with a warden and he says they are not usually found in Wisconsin and are illegal to shoot.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Ron Scott

Have seen a lot of them on NF lands in the eastern UP when I worked on the old Marquette and Hiawatha National Forests 1961-1967.
~Ron

Ken

Our spruce partridge are quite plentiful in some areas.  Although they are pretty they are certainly not the brightest birds.  They may fly away from you but tend to land in a tree about 10' feet away.  Not nearly as tasty as ruffed grouse.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

DDDfarmer

We don't chase spruce hens, leave them be.  If I come up to one just walk past and keep looking for a partridge.  The meat is not as good as partridge but not terrible either. has a evergreen flavour if I remember right, been a few years since I accidently shot one. Nice part about having a good scope on my .22.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

SwampDonkey

I was just looking at their range and they are mostly in Canada and central Alaska anyway. I see lots of them when traversing the woods in Deersdale and near Napadogan. Never see any where I live because the forest is more hardwood. I was marking out a 150 acre commercial thinning once in Deersdale and the woods was full of them. They would only fly a few feet away and sit and look at ya. Just have to be in the right habitat for them.

Thank You Sponsors!