iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do I dispose of Poison Ivy?

Started by OneWithWood, May 12, 2009, 02:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

Last night I felled a large dead tree in the yard of a house I just bought.  The tree is dead.  I think it is the remains of a poplar about 22" dbh and 50' high.  The plan was to drop it and cut it up for firewood.  Once I got it down I noticed that some of the many vines on it are poison ivy.  The PI vines are as thick as my wrist.  Obviously I cannot cut this tree up for firewood but I do need to dispose of it and get it out of the yard.
I thought I might dig a very big hole somewhere and bury it after I cut it up into managable lengths.

Does anyone have a better and less labor intensive way to dispose of this stuff.  The tree is covered with PI, Virginia creeper and grape vines.

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

metalspinner

I hope you do not come down with a sevier case of PI from your work on the tree.

That happened to me one time on a cherry log.   :'(  I ended up getting a steroid shot the PI was so bad.  I through out all the clothes I had on that day.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Ron Scott

~Ron

beenthere

I started to itch just reading about it.

I got into a similar PI vine-wrap around an ash tree last fall. Didn't get the PI bad, but did get some of the chain-saw chips from it on my skin. I unwrapped the vine from the tree, but will still need to be careful when handling the firewood next year.

I'd push it in a pile and burn it when the wind was blowing the smoke away, and be careful not to get into the smoke.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pineywoods

If you choose to burn it, be VERY VERY careful. The smoke is more toxic than handling the plants. Poison Ivy in you lungs  :o nasty. History books say this was the first chemical weapon...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ron Scott

Ditto! on the hazards of burning. If you do burn it, be very sure that there are no neighbors downwind. The resins can also get on you while burning it.
~Ron

DanG

I recommend that you not burn it at all.  Kill the stuff with chemicals, then drag it into the woods and let it rot, or bury it.  The firewood should be ok if you knock all the bark off of it.

You shouldn't need to throw away your clothes.  Laundering them will take care of it, but don't just toss them in the hamper.  Put them in the washer, then take a good shower and you should avoid the poisoning.  I am extremely sensitive to contact poisoning, and have been dealing with it all my life.  I still get it once in a while, but have picked up a few tricks along the way that help me avoid it most of the time. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

Brings up a question..how long is the "poison" (Urushiol) active in a dead plant? Seems there was a discussion about doing some lathe turning of poison ivy, and maybe that isn't active in the dead poison ivy wood.
The claim is the urushiol is active in the sap, so maybe it becomes inactive at some point.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

My understanding is that it can be active even years later in the dead wood.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

John Mc

Another downside of burning: the urushiol can get carried in the smoke and settle out anywhere the wind blows it. You can end up with a rash from just sitting in the grass that was down wind of your fire many days later.

When you wash it off, take a COOL shower. A hot shower opens up your pores, and can drive the urishiol in deeper. Soap is better than just plain water, but remember the active ingredient is an oil, so special poison ivy soap may work better. I've got a friend who swears by showering with  dishwashing liquid... his theory is that since it's formulated to cut grease, it will cut the urishiol oil as well.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Scuba_Dave

I take a bath in Dawn dishwashing liquid when I get PI
That & going in the ocean - saltwater dries it up
Or Salt in the bath

Radar67

I've read that the Urushiol can be active for five years or longer in the dead plants.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

LeeB

I guess I must be lucky. The only time the stuff bothers me is in the spring when it is bloom and then only on abraided skin. Lindy just has to look at it and she breaks out.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

blame

im like LeeB  one of the lucky ones i guess   :)

Ironmower

I just love the stuff :( I like DanG, would just drag it off some where and let mothernature take care of it. I have an old sand-mining pit that I'm allowed too dump organic material in, thats where most of it goes now. After I had my shot for PI when I was a kid, it don't spread on me like it use too 8). I did however just get over a case of PI in place I won't mention, all I'll say is wash your hands before you go take a leak ::) :( People look at ya kinda funny when you're scratchin' there ::)
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

MSUprof

I agree with DanG. The best way is to dispose of poison ivy is to drag it somewhere out of the way or bury it. One thing to consider is regrowth from where the roots are if the vine was still alive. Be prepared to cut/mow it several times or use chemicals to manage it.

Jeff

Welcome to the Forestry Forum MSUprof. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mrcaptainbob

HTere are two products our that are a big help when working around Poison ivy. One is Ivy-Dri and the other is Ivy-Blok, ....one you smear on the infected area and it DOES tame the itch and the spread. The other you smear on before working around the stuff. When done, take a shower and it washes off, taking the poison ivy with it. Most certainly NEVER burtn any poison ivy. A friend lost a bil to that. The guy got some of the smoke in his lungs and three weeks later was in the ground. Personally, I get a small rash that affects me less than 'squito bites. My two sons are not that lucky. They get within a few feet of that stuff and it's steroid time. Bury the vines, or chemically treat them. Just don't ever burn it. Any living creature down wind is a victim....

CLL

kerosene or gas on it will also kill it. I don't get it bad but when I see it start I put one of the above on it and in a couple of days its gone.
Too much work-not enough pay.

red

do a Google Search for Goat soap poison ivy ....

goats will eat the poison ivy and you make soap from the goats milk 

very interesting   and a good cure too
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

OneWithWood

So I cut the tree down.

I took great pains to cover up because I was cutting the vines at shoulder height as well as down low so I could have good access to the tree.  Yep, covered up everything real good - except for that top button on my collar.  Cut up the tree into manageable lengths and hauled the bits into the woods with the FEL.  I put them where I don't think I need to disturb them for a few years.  Hopefully it all rots.
When I finished I rinsed all the tools, saw, and tractor down with clean cold water.  I went in, stripped all my cloths off, put the clothes in the wash and took a shower.
The next morning my neck and forearms were covered with a nice itchy rash  >:(
I guess I picked it up on the forearms when I was loading the washing machine.  Linnea was very happy I took it upon myself to launder those clothes  :D

I have been taking twice daily showers using Tecnu ivy wash.  I can just about sleep through the night now.  I trust by Memorial day the itching will have stopped and I can shave my neck again.  ::)

Tonight I will dose the stumps with Garlon 4.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

beenthere

Ouch
I'm itching just thinking about you.
Have been bucking and splitting ash that a few had PI vines on them, but so far this year (knock on wood) have avoided the dreaded "rash" and blisters (and ITCH).

(scratching smiley here)

south central Wisconsin

Cedarman

The woods across most of Indiana is full of PI.  Adding a bunch of cut vines isn't going to increase the problem.  I have cut many big cedars with thick PI vines.  Chips flying over my arms and on my clothes.  Once in a great while I will get a small rash.  But as a kid, my fingers would swell up so bad I couldn't bend them.  I am much more afraid of tick bites than PI.

OWW, next time you have a bad one, give me a call.  You buy the beer and after cutting the tree, we'll drink the beer.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

DanG

I feel for ya OWW!  I've had the rash 3 times this year already, but it isn't nearly as bad as it was when I was a kid.  A couple of times I had it so bad my eyes were swollen shut.  I think you must build up a resistance over time.  I have no idea where I contacted it this year, but it must have been from smoke in the air, as I've been very careful.  It could have been from mowing, however.

I never use the chainsaw to cut it from a tree.  Always use an axe or machete, so you don't spray it all over yourself.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

tim1234

How long is the Urishol oil active......there were reports that traces of the oil were found on artifacts in egyptian tombs to discourage grave robbers.  You know the curse of the mummy and all.  If you stole something and brokeout in a rash you would think you were being haunted ;)  Tests were done on the oil and it was found to be active.  Once the vine rots the oil will eventually wash away into the soil, but I would not assume any dead PI plant will ever become safe to handle.

OWW....I swear by Zanfel.  Other products may be out there now like some of the Tecnu products, but Zanfel was the only product that would break the chemical bond of the oil with the skin.  You wash with cold water and the zanfel has scrubbies like a facial wash.  You scrub the area, rinse in cold water, repeat if necessary.  The itch stops immediately and the site will start to heal.  Great stuff and it can be found in many drug stores now or at Zanfel.com.   Hope you are feeling better soon.

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

Thank You Sponsors!