iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Shutdown.....UPDATE

Started by Magicman, September 26, 2009, 02:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Another sad day.  Over 100 people were notified when they came to work yesterday that their mill was shutting down.  Been operating since 1043.

I am president of the Lincoln County Forestry Ass'n. and two of them are Directors of the Ass'n.  Both had been working for Columbus Lumber Co. like forever.  They are in their 40's and have families.  They had no previous warning..... >:(

Of course, this doesn't just affect them.  The loggers and truck owners/drivers also.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Papa1stuff

Sure was a sad day for them and many more around the US :(,glad I don't have to depend on a job my my meals!
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Chico

been a lot of good mills fell thru Good businessmen just too much backbone and not enough breast to even survive Sad :(
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Don K

My area has been hit hard too. #or 4 mills have shutdown or slowed production.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Ron Wenrich

You musn't know the right Congressman.  The local mill got a $7.7 million bailout from Uncle Sam.  They didn't want the mill with its 500 employees to go down, so they loaned them money.  Now, they work 1 week out of every 3.  They even laid off the maintenance crew.  Who says political contributions don't work.   ;)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

stonebroke

In NY we call that pay to play

Stonebroke

ellmoe

The local pine mill here just shut down. I understand at even these low prices they couldn't sell but half their production. I'm afraid it's like the singer said, "those jobs aren't coming back". At least not anytime in the new future. With a hundred plus miles to the next production mill, it will be even tougher to be a logger around here.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Chico

Do  you haul to Perry or cross city?
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

ellmoe

I'm not a logger. We've got a small stationary mill operation. From here, loggers will have to go to Palatka (pulp and veneer), Starke (C&S), or Cross City (C&S). Most of the smaller pine and hardwood is actually being hauled south now  about 50 miles to a mulch plant. The few extra dollars for C&S doesn't pay the additional freight. Unfortunately, the mulch mill can only take a limited amount of logs.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

chevytaHOE5674

We have lost many of our local mills recently, it is just a sign of the times I'm afraid.

WDH

Magicman,

I thought about you when I saw the notice on ForestWeb.  The release said the Bank pulled the plug on them.  My company has a big pine mill at Fernwood (McComb) just down the road from you.  Hopefully, we will make it.  Landowners need markets, and as more and more mills shut down, there are fewer options for landowners and loggers.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

The fallout has a much larger footprint than most folks realize.  The local newspaper The Daily Leader had a large article today outlining some of the other industries that are affected.  Things that we don't realize or even think about until we loose an industry.

They are still trying to find a way to re-open.  I hope so.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chico

You are so right Magicman most people don't have a clue all the products made fron\m by products of the operation and the service industries that depend wholly or partly on the parts and services needed to keep mills and loggers etc running 
Chico

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Magicman on September 29, 2009, 09:35:23 PM
The fallout has a much larger footprint than most folks realize.

Trickles down from the mill all the way to the restaurant, and gas stations. Our town's main employer was the mill, and when it closed basically the entire town went into penny save mode, and all businesses felt the squeeze.

Magicman

Good news !!!  The mill has been bought by Rex Lumber LLC, a forestry corporation headquartered in Graceville, Fl.  I understand that they are not going to dismantle the mill, but operate it.

Chico

Magicman

More good news...."Yella Fella" (Great Southern Wood Preserving Inc.) has bought the wood preserving branch of the mill.  They are investing $5M, hiring up to 20 employees, and are planning to be up and running by Feb. 1.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Magic thats great news to hear Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

with larger mills downhere they usually dont sit idle for too long maby 3 to 4 months  if the comany goes under as all the hard works done permits ,ground work ect and they usualy come with a log supply there alwas seems to be someone looking for a larger operation  to purchase  ;) ;D ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

fishpharmer

MM, hey they great news for your region and MS.  Really its good for the US. Any manufacturing business not going offshore is good. 8)

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

GaryinMississippi

Magicman

Quote from: GaryinMississippi on December 10, 2009, 03:28:34 PM
Quote from: Magicman on September 26, 2009, 02:24:23 PM
  Been operating since 1043.

That"s a LOOOOONG time!!!! :o ;D

Wowwwww !!!  You are right.... :o :o :o  Dat's a long time for sure.... :D :D :D  And just think....that's the year that I was born.  No wonder I've been tired lately..... ;D

maple flats

It amazes me that records exist from before 1492 about which sawmill was in business. But on a different front Beretta firearms has been in business over 500 years.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

stonebroke

Yeah the Indians in MS must have been busy to be running a sawmill back then.

Stonebroke

Thank You Sponsors!