iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade kitchen cabinets for under $1,000 !

Started by UNCLEBUCK, April 12, 2005, 10:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLEBUCK

Well I started building my shack May 1st 2004 and many people have stopped in and they are impressed with how little I have spent doing everything myself but they all have said wait until you get to the kitchen and I better have 15 or 20 grand set aside just for the kitchen. Maybe I am poor but I wont be over $1,000 dollars in cabinetry . Never done it before but it is very simple and I am using a skil saw,router and a cheap miter box . Please feel free to show any home improvements you all have done yourself that others would have shucked out big bucks on . I have Forestry Forum people for my resources , I dont need money cuz I got you all ! Ya"ll !  ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

UNCLEBUCK

I tried to keep all my pictures lined up but I better leave 2 spaces between them . Hope it isnt to messy !

Brad_S.

Looking good, UB! 8)

It's when you get to putting down the granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances that you'll start running up the bill. ;)
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

UNCLEBUCK

Thanks , yeah I suppose it will look like the set from Hee-Haw when I finish . Maybe thats why my fiance is staying put in Michigan until I am all finished.  ;D

Mark M

Those look good uncle! whatcha make them outta?

UNCLEBUCK

Thanks , I went to buy plywood and instead came home with 9 sheets of melamine its called ,kind of like a particle board except its very slippery and heavy and stiff . The upper cabinets is 1x12 western red cedar and tomorrow I hang them up and make all the doors to hide them white boxes. Ordered euro hinges from grizzly for 2$ a pair ,couldnt find them anywhere else , full lap hinges whatever that is.

pigman

Looking good UncleBuck. 8)  Post more pictures tomorrow when you are completly finished. ;D
I need to replace my 27 year old cheap cabinets when I get a round tuit.  ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

firtol88

http://www.myrtlewoodgallery.com/get_a_round_tuit.htm that one is my favorite but this one http://www.quantumenterprises.co.uk/roundtuit/ claims to be "the original" what ever the case hurry up and get you one. 
8)

By the way nice job on the cabinets.
There's men who drink Guinness, and there's men who drink what's left when we're done with it.

* Note to Democrats, yes please flee to Canada!

isawlogs

Those are looking great ...   8)   Did you get a 35mm drill bit to put the europien hinges , and  dont forget that you are to drill 1/2" deep no more no less .... just a little reminder   ;) 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

UNCLEBUCK

ok isawlogs , i better get me a drill bit . Sounds like a good tip from experience . Thanks . I think I know a dozen people that would qualify for the round tuit gift there firt !

WH_Conley

Unclebuck, don't you dare to send those pictures to my wife.

She would expect me to do some things inside the house.  :D
Bill

asy

Wowwee!!!

Looks fantastic...

Wish I had the know-how to do that..  :(

Bet your fiance's pleased! Hey, when's the wedding???

Quote from: pigman on April 12, 2005, 11:26:44 PM
I need to replace my 27 year old cheap cabinets when I get a round tuit.  ::)

I had a friend when I was in my teens who ALWAYS said he'd do such-and-such when he 'gets around to it'.

So for his birthday I made him a little cushion and embroidered "T-O-I-T" onto it. His mum took one look at it and burst out laughing, she figured it out straight away, and thought it was fantastic.

Took him a couple of hours to come and admit he couldn't figure it out. Wasn't so pleased when I told him what it was, either...

lol

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Buzz-sawyer

hey buck
Lookin good, you inspired me to get on with my cabinet project :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Paschale

Hey Uncle Buck,

Lookin' good!   8)  I noticed your comment under your avatar...I'm thinking pretty soon you're going to have to change that to Norwegian MARRIED farmer!   :D  Need a trombone player for the wedding?   ;)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Larry

Cool UncleBuck! 8)  I made my own cabinets about a year ago...never make the mistake of admitting you made them or you will get requests to do cabinet work from everybody.  Make sure you let us have a look see when ya get all done.

Started making window and door trim yesterday.  Made just enough to do one window...if I like it I'll make the rest.  Already think the vertical casing is to narrow. :-\  After I get it in the window maybe I'll change my mind.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ernie

UncleBuck, The true craftsman 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

It sure is nice to make something that is better than you can buy for any money.  A great accomplishment, keep the pictures coming.

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

beenthere

Larry
You do nice work, which is why they keep asking for your help, I'm sure.

I tend to agree with you that the vertical trim is a bit narrow for the top, but cannot see the total. Because you asked, I'd either narrow the top horizontal valance or widen the side trim.
Very good workmanship in those parts shown.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thedeeredude

Nice work UNCLEBUCK.
Instead of a granite countertop, why not a big maple or cherry slab with some curl in it ;)

redpowerd

these cabinets were built in the shop. all t+g pine. allready regretting not using a harder wood., :-\
we just finished laying the counter after a one month wait. the counter top was the big bill, gotta be pretty. ::) i was going to use old t+g maple flooring.

kitchen is lookin real nice UB!
your about as tight as i am
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

UNCLEBUCK

Hey thanks everybody , Larry that is quality all the way . Red your cabinets look awesome and I get alot of ideas from it . I see home depot has counter top blanks standing up in the air like 12 footers any color for about 60$ . I think I might plop one of those on and big stainless steel sinks for under a 100$ . I got Massachusette maple syrup dripping off both ears this morning that a forum member sent me and I think I go back and eat breakfast twice this morning , what a flavor !  Well off I go to finish cabinets , sure is days where working alone can drive a guy nuts but thank god for talk radio right . Paschale she wont set a wedding date until I finish my shack and she 100% scottish so when she say it she means it . DanG scottish ! Keep your pics coming because I have to do the bathroom vanity next and I suppose if I take the sink out of the old milkhouse she wouldnt approve too much . ;D

UNCLEBUCK

I am wishing I would have bought cabinets now but soon done . Its a brain meltdown figuring out drawer sizes, got all pieces cut and routered and assembling tomorrow . What have I got myself into?  ???

DanG

Buck, run up to yer local Walmart Super Center and git yerself one of them measurin' tapes that rolls up into that little box that ya clip on yer belt. It makes figgerin' out them drawer sizes a whole lot easier. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sprucebunny

Hey, UNCLEBUCK    Your cabinets are great and you're going to have it all done soon ;D

I've been not working on my cabinets for two years now 'cause of the decisions and meltdown thing.
Got the bases and counter and one BIG set of drawers done but can't face all the little doors.

I;m very impressed with your speed and stick-to-it-ness ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

UNCLEBUCK

Thanks s.b. , I had to show this kitchen thing to force myself to push the project along hoping forestry forum folks would bug me to keep after it. I just gettin tired of it and I got 34 heavy boxes of floor tile stacked in the corner waiting to go and need 34 more boxes and I never done floor tile either . Maybe you get the bug to finish when I get done.You sound like you almost done with your cabinets .  I know if I stop I will forget where everything goes if my nephew erases all my pencil marks . DanG I only had to take my boots off twice when calculations got past 10 .  :D

asy

Quote from: sprucebunny on April 15, 2005, 11:04:10 PM
I've been not working on my cabinets for two years now 'cause of the decisions and meltdown thing.
Got the bases and counter and one BIG set of drawers done but can't face all the little doors.

hehehehe...

in our industry it's called:   Analysis Paralysis.

Quote from: UNCLEBUCK on April 15, 2005, 11:25:14 PM
I had to show this kitchen thing to force myself to push the project along hoping forestry forum folks would bug me to keep after it.

Just put a big photo of your Fiancee up on the wall. You know she's not coming until the job's finished!

That should speed you up!  ;D

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Thank You Sponsors!