iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New medical requirements for CDL?

Started by Fraxinus, April 15, 2005, 08:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fraxinus

I was talking to one of my tree workers yesterday.  He had been driving TT long hauls out of Ohio but he lost his medical certification due to a change in blood pressure requirements so is back here humping brush into a chipper.  He says it used to be 160/90 but has been lowered to 140/85.  Has anyone else heard this?
Not sure if this might belong on a different board but couldn't figure out which one so put it here.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

dewwood

Yes that is correct, the regs went into effect last fall.  I believe it is 140/90 but could be mistaken.  Here in Indiana they pull your license when your medical is not within compliance and all criteria met. 
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Quartlow

Yep welcome to more of the new fedaral guidelines, hazmat endorsement now requires an extinsive background check
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

rebocardo

I guess my question would be how many people are killed on the roads from people with high blood pressure that passed out etc. vs. how many people were killed by road rage, cutting off trucks, tired drivers forced (one way or the other) to work more then 8 hours driving without a rest, speeding,  etc. Seems kind of PC to me.

firtol88

Funny part is that they were trying to lift restrictions on trucks from mexico. Any idea if they managed to?

Not funny part is in the last two weeks we have had two trucks cross the median on I-10 causing head on wrecks which killed people (LSU student last week and someone just tonight). Maybe not related to anything you mentioned but reason enough to be more selective in issuing liceses
There's men who drink Guinness, and there's men who drink what's left when we're done with it.

* Note to Democrats, yes please flee to Canada!

UNCLEBUCK

Running from Minnesota to California and back I averaged 100 hours time married to the truck in 7 day turns , 80 hours was driving and the other 20 was loading and unloading . Totally illegal but hauling vegetables the truck never stops . The scariest thing on the road I seen was always just a foolish car driver making a quick decision . Usually when I seen a truck rollover from the driver falling asleep was in broad daylight in the afternoon like right after lunch with the sun shining and the driver just didnt get rest. Never fight sleep , a 20 minute hard snoring nap really makes a person feel good. 16 hours non-stop driving is a daily occurance in the produce business but then again their is a very high employee turn over rate . That all seems to have changed the last few years with federal money rebuilding the weigh stations out west so say if I crossed a weigh station in Minnesota and 32 hours later I cross a weigh station in California they can automatically instantly tell when and what scales I crossed and match it to my log book and in California they dont take it lightly and fine the driver very stiff.  I think its a blessing that the feds finally forced enough of these produce hauling companies into running legal because the pressure was and in some cases still is to make sure that their vegetables get to their destinations asap.  A dot physical you will not pass with a blood pressure on the low side of 91 , it must be 90 .  140/90
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

asy

Quote from: rebocardo on April 15, 2005, 10:05:00 PM
I guess my question would be how many people are killed on the roads from people with high blood pressure that passed out etc. vs. how many people were killed by road rage, cutting off trucks, tired drivers forced (one way or the other) to work more then 8 hours driving without a rest, speeding, etc. Seems kind of PC to me.

True, it does seem silly, however, they can test for blood pressure, unfortunately they have not yet developed a test for stupidity.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Thank You Sponsors!