iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hewlett Packard keeps mess'n with me

Started by Rockn H, April 19, 2005, 12:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockn H

We got a new HP scanner, printer.... back in December.  While it is on, the comp is soooo slooowww.  From time to time when we click on the program to scan something, the page comes up all out of place and mixed up, click off and it has messed up the icons on our desktop even.  Well, now HP keeps popping up when we're online wanting permission to poll us and periodically check on what our system has been up to offline ,when we get on line , so they can build software to better meet the needs of us the consumer.  My problem is, everytime they send me this popup, it messes everything up just like their scanner software does.  What is it with HP that my system doesn't like?  Anyone else have these problems? ???

etat

As a totally unprofessional here and may not be the best way but I'd uninstall it from my computer completely.  Then I'd reinstall the printer but this time I would not register it on line or register anything about it to receive any updates.  I'm 'thinking' that should stop it from communicating back and forth with their web site.

And if I'm wrong and I might be hopefully somebody will correct me. Anyways, that's how I do my stuff.  I never set anything for automatic updates. If I want to update something I'd do it myself whenever I take a notion to.  Manually.

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Rockn H

Thanks cktate, when we first got it or rather I should say when we tried to scan with it and saw what it was doing, we uninstalled and reinstalled.  No help.  We never registered, so I guess it did it itself?  Kind of the way their popup sounded, if I gave permission, they would check our activity and not bother us doing it.  The wife has a Computer Information Systems degree, and what does she tell me? Just restart when it does that. ::) :)

Ianab

Sounds like typical HP / Compaq stuff  >:(
They load so many extra utilities / drivers into the system it's a wonder they work at all.

Assuming you are running WinXP run a program called 'msconfig'
This will let you select what items you want to run in the machine startup.
Try disabling a few things starting with HP  ;)
If the scanner or printer dont work any more... go back and turn that bit on again  ::)
You will probably find there is the actual driver needed to make the thing work, then a status monitor to tell you it's working.. then an update checker utility.. than something to check the updater utillity is up to date.. you get the idea  ::)

Usually I find I can turn off about 1/2 the things in an average PCs startup and it will boot faster and run smoother.

You cant get into too much trouble with msconfig, if you break something just go and put the tick back in the box.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

I have a HP printer which isn't 100 % Win XP compatible, but there was an update to the printer driver I installed after I upgraded to Win XP. Once in awhile I'll get an error message that the document failed to print and the only way to remedy the problem is to reboot. I have an even older HP printer that I can plug into the laptop and it'll print flawless. It even uses the same black cartridge as my all-in-one (problem printer), and it can print on sheets 19 inches wide. Also, I can't use that 'Econo' paper in the all-in-one because it's too light and it bunches up.  :'(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Rockn H

Ianab, I'll try that, thanks.
Swampdonkey, it's a 1315v all-in-one.  First thing it says is  cannot establish a connection.  Wait a minute and try again works fine?

GF

The all in ones seem to require alot more system resources to run and poll there hardware devices to verify they are there and operating.  We have a pretty large computer network (1500+) PC's, and people are always wanting the all in ones.  I try to explain they are OK for home use (not that I would even use one). 

If they need to scan I buy them a nice scanner, if they want to print they get connected to a large network printer, if they need to send or receive faxes we connect them the the network fax appliance.  Every once in a while someone insists they have to have one will get them one and usually with a month or two they dont want it.  This is just my opinion.

SwampDonkey

GF,

I use my all-in-one all the time. I don't have a fax on mine, I use the PC for that. But I am always scanning photos and printing layered GIS maps including a MrSID layer. I like the copier to make a quick copy of a small number of pages without having to boot up the PC to do it. As I stated earlier in regards to my all-in-one it's not 100 % compatible with XP, as it has been stated by HP and MS both. A reboot once in awhile is a minor inconvenience for me. I do agree that an all-in-one wouldn't be ideal for a network setting. Be best to have a network capable Color laser and a separate scanner on a dedicated machine. And a fax with your networked office copier/printer (I like the Toshiba's).

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GF

Honestly lately I not sure anything is compatable with Windows XP SP2, including its own updated drivers.  We have a pretty good relationship with Microsoft through our company, so I definitly give them an earfull quit often.  They are learning slowly not to bite the hand that feeds you.

Thank You Sponsors!