iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood mizer lt40 engine upgrade

Started by timbrr63, November 30, 2013, 10:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbrr63

Hello everyone, question about upgrading the engine on my 1st generation lt40. currently it has the original 16hp kohler,(with only 318 hours!) which by the by is grossly under powered. Was seriously considering doing An engine swap. Anyone out there successfully swapped for more ponies, and with what engine?

mmartone

Me and another guy have changed to kawasaki liquid cooled v twins, mine is 22hp. Nice smooth quiet engine, available with more HP, bought mine local on CL.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

MM

Be careful on the size of engine you put on your mill. Weight could cause a failure with the up/down system.
M.L. Morrow
812/614-1825

timbrr63

Hopefully weight will not be a major factor, as the one lung kohler is probably about the same weight as a modern twin in the 20 to 25 hp range.

RayMO

Just replaced the 24 HP Onan on my 92 lt40 HD with a 25 HP Kohler V twin with no problems and it has plenty of power to do the job.
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

timbrr63

Thanks Raymo, just what I wanted to hear! My lt40 was mfg. In 1983 so the retro-fit may be a little more challenging. So starts the search for a twin!

Jimmy Mc

Here is a link to a good place to buy replacement engines. I have bought from them and they are great to work with.

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/?gclid=CKbu69eajrsCFbQWMgodXiQAUw

Jimmy
Jimmy McIntosh, HF band mill

hunz

I have been wondering myself what a good engine size is for the woodmizers. I have been eyeing that new lt-35, but with only a 25hp engine I am a little nervous I will be disappointed with the cut quality with any decent speed in large pine and hardwoods. I assume anyone with experience with many different engine HP's could help. I also fear that the 25 HP Kohler will soon be downgraded HP wise as I received a mailer from TK explaining Kohler was altering the way they calculated HP ratings which would lower numbers. I currently saw with a 24hp Honda and wish for more......
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

thecfarm

timbrr63,welcome to the forum. I might of read it wrong,a 1983  mill with only 318 hours on it.   ???
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

timbrr63

Thanks for the welcome thecfarm! Nope you read it correctly,  my dad bought it new in83 used it very little and then sat for 25 yrs before I acquired the mill.

thecfarm

Is your Dad still around to enjoy the mill? What's all the lumber going to be used for?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

timbrr63

Yup my pop is still with us, going strong at 80! I am a self employed cabinetmaker so, most of what I saw is kiln dried and used in the shop.as of late, ihave done several custom mantle and fireplace surround parts jobs.

Magicman

Hello timbrr63, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

timbrr63

Hello magicman! And thank you for the warm welcome! :)

ladylake

Welcome, what part on Mn are you at.     Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

timbrr63

Hey Steve,  I am in the chisago lakes area hour n.e. of the t.c.

mmartone

My mill is an 86 model, I think I used one of the original holes, had to drill the other 3.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

pineywoods

Timbrr, I swapped the 18 hp briggs on my 95 mill for a 25 hp kawasaki. Like mm says, watch the weight. Adding a bigger motor to the up/down mechanics won't work too well, you don't have enough electrical capacity. If the up-down mechanism needs a little help, I posted a thread on adding a couple of garage door springs. No cutting or welding on the mill, drill one 1/4 inch hole.  do a search on "faster up for older woodmizers."
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

timbrr63

Thanks to all who took the time to respond and offer their advice. Time to "hot rod" ol' trusty the vintage lt40!   ;D

timbrr63

Thank You Sponsors!