iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood shed

Started by pifan, February 03, 2005, 11:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pifan

I am thinking of building a wood shed this summer and with all of the experience on here i decided to ask all of you for your input I am thinking about 10 by16 lean to type but i am open to change ive got lots of room to put it but the wife holds the check book ;D

Mongo

Any unused windows or doors in the back of your house? Saw a woodshed on one of the home improvement channels that butted up against a window that didn't have a view etc anyway, a small door in place of the window allowed wood to be moved directly into the house without have to trudge through the snow carrying it.

chet

These are shots of da first load of wood headed into my woodshed a couple of years ago. The last pic shows the double doors on the end of da shed. They allow me to back right up to where I'm piling.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

palmerstreeservice

When thinking about the size of your shed remember....

No one ever says they wish they would have made the building smaller....

No matter how big you make it, it won't be big enough!

Mongo

Also, make sure you can keep 2 seperate woodpiles so you can make do first in/first out. Don't want to have the back tier end up sitting there for 10 years because you never quite get back to it before refilling the shed.

palmerstreeservice

After reading mongo's I was thinking about ours.  We actually have ours separated wet and dry.   We take down alot of live trees so we have wet wood to deal with too, not sure if you will but may want to consider that.

pifan

that is anice looking shed how big is it and what did you use for a roof also would green wood dry inside

jgoodhart

Make it big enough to hold 2 years worth of wood that way you have dry wood and the other half can be filled in the fall with wet wood for the next year.

RSteiner

I have built two wood sheds in the 30 years we have been burning wood.  The first was moved to make way for the barn built on the site and the second was built off the back of the barn, both were about 10X16 in size.

The first was a stand alone in which I could put about 2 years of wood.  I had different sections to make it easier to pile the wood so I could burn the first in wood first.  Another nice feature was a seperate area where I could pile small diameter wood and soft wood for fire starting.

One danger with wood sheds is the storage feature factor when the shed is empty in the spring.  My wood shed now is mostly filled with stuff that needs a home out of the elements.  The back porch now becomes a wood shed in the winter months, it does hold 3 cords of wood nicely and is right outside the back door where the stove is located.

If you do not have a storage shed build two sheds one for wood and one for the other stuff.  The more ventilation or air flow you can get through the building the better.  Wood gives off a lot of mositure as it dries and air flow dries wood quicker.  If you can have doors that can be open for filling and drying but closed in the winter that is a nice feature.

If you have a dirt floor treatment for bugs, especially black ants where I live, is necessary.  Pallets work well on dirt to promote air flow.  The distance you have to move wood by hand to stack it needs to be as short as possible for obvious reasons.

Enjoy your shed and building experience.

Randy
Randy

chet

Pifan,
The shed is 36x14 and has a metal roof. Yes the wood probably dries out slower, but I really prefer burning greener wood in the outdoor furnace. If you were to use the wood the following year I'm sure it would be dry enough.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

hiya

I need to build one this year, I'm going to make the siding like a corn crib. Beveled ix3's with about i inch between them. That way air can flow through and dry the wood better. with a door at each end.That way I can take the first wood out first.
Richard
RichardinMd.

DanG

We don't have a wood burner right now, but will when the new house is built.  I'm thinking of stacking firewood on pallets as it is split, and putting them in the barn.  To take it to the house, I can just pick up the whole pallet with the front end loader and set it on the porch.  Make sure you can get a tractor with a loader into the shed, just in case you get lazy like me in yer old age. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WH_Conley

DanG, Bingo. I built racks that will fit on 6x16 trailer, I traded and got a couple of those trailers, set racks where you are working the wood, fill em and use loader to movem, set close togather and cover with cheap tarps. Or line trailer end to end with them, makes a big load as they are 5 feet tall, a lot of wood and cover. Winter time back whole trailer to basement steps. I have a wood box in basement 2 ft deep and 8ft long, on wheels, 2 people can fill it in a few minutes and it will last several days. The cheap tarps will last a year or two. I figure at the cost of roofing will cover the tarps for years to come and don't have the trouble RSteiner does, have that already.
Bill

BW_Williams

I removed my woodshed from the house (it was a useless carport originally) after responding to a fire up the road that took a guys house when a fire got started in the woodpile.  Our stand alone shed is 12'x16' and would hold 2 years wood if I wasn't drying slabs, lumber and storing bikes in one end of it!  Both ends are accessable, with the plan load wet wood in one end, alternating each year.  We have an apple bin on the porch and that lasts about a week.  Good luck, BWW 
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Thank You Sponsors!