iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl Chainsaw Recommendations

Started by nbjohann, October 21, 2016, 11:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nbjohann

First of all, I'm glad to be a part of this site. I have been browsing and doing searches and have had a lot of my questions answered.

As the title suggests, I am in the market to purchase a new saw. Stihl has the best dealers and service in my area so I will be going with that brand. I heat with wood and need a saw to take care of my firewood needs. I live in a heavily wooded area and can usually get access to free butt ends from the local loggers.

I want a saw that has all the power I will ever need. I have used the Farm Boss saws for all the cutting I have ever done but it has its shortcomings. I plan to run a 20" bar or a 25" bar. I would most likely keep the 25" on the saw most of the time. I am left handed and it seems the wrap handle would be best suited for me (I have used saws with the standard handle for 15 years but if I am spending the money it might as well be the most comfortable it can be).

I am between the MS 362 R C-M and the MS 461 R. My goal is to purchase a saw that will last me for many years to come without any major repairs. I understand the tradeoff of power and weight between the two. The electronics on the 362 doesn't scare me as I haven't heard anything too bad about it. I do not need to purchase the saw at this exact moment and will wait if Stihl is releasing something that will be better than either of these two saws. Does anyone have some insight on any new pro saws in the 60-70cc range that may be coming out?

Sorry for the long winded post. I didn't want it to be another "which saw should I buy?" post without putting in all the details.

rburg

If you are going to keep a 25" bar on it most of the time, I think the 461 would be a better choice

khntr85

Well sir, I was in your same position maybe 6-10 month ago....I wanted to buy a saw that would basically last me forever and have enough power to pull a 25" bar easily....I bought the ms461 and in no way could be any happier.... I have a 20" and a 25" bar for it, and it will pull the 25" in any hardwood just fine!!!

I may also add that I have a ms362 (standard carb), and I use it with a 20" bar all the timehowever, I personally would never put my 25" bar on it... now obviously if it was my only saw and it was for one cut, well then MAYBE.... I just don't think it would have enough ass to wear the 25" all the time.... just my 2-pennies!!!

HolmenTree

Either saw excellent choice.  The newly upgraded  MS362 has tons of good reviews and when keeping the chain sharp it will handle a 25" 3/8 RSC chain just fine.
MS461 all the saw you will ever need. Both these saw designs are time proven reliability tested going back as far as 32 years when the 034 was introduced.

Waiting to buy a brand new totally redesigned saw may not be the best thing in your interest.
As good as their field tested and carefully put into production, they still lack the long term longevity that saws like the 036, 044 and 046 have evolved with years of upgrades into the saws they are today.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

btulloh

I'm running an MS362 and use a 25" bar about half the time.  It is a good saw and handles the 25" bar pretty well, but I would go with the bigger saw if you're going to need the longer bar most of the time. 

I really appreciate the lighter weight of the 362 and it does what I need but it's not a 461.
HM126

sandsawmill14

i agree with holmen  :) getting the latest greatest thing is not always the best ;) especially for a firewood guy because for one thing your warranty (for what its worth) will run out and the saw not even have a months run time on it  :)  if you can stand the weight of the 461 you will love the saw they are good dependable saws with plenty of power smiley_thumbsup  i am not saying a 461 is to heavy for its size it is just a big saw ;)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

SawTroll

Both are of course good saws, it really depends on what size of saw you need.

A few points to be aware of though:

- both have an inboard clutch, which may seem convenient, but has disadvantages regarding the handling of the saws + some mechanical disadvantages

- the 362 has a plastic handlebar, enough to avoid it imo (but most don't care). At least make sure you get the newest weight-reduced version

- the 461 has an antiquated rubber AV system, so avoid that one if you are even remotely vibe sensitive - and it is about to be replaced by the 462.
Information collector.

Ada Shaker

I like the 362 but sometimes wish it had a little more grunt when getting into bigger wood. Lots of revs though which I think is what these saws rely on these days.
If you have access to plenty of but ends from loggers you may consider the bigger saw, as but ends tend to but a little larger in diameter and a little harder to cut as they generally have higer mineral content ( inground dirt blown in from wind/rain), in the base of the tree. One of the reasons why stump grinders came into beign. As the tree grows in girth they tend to take in these extra minerals along with any fence posts they may encounter. :D
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

WoodBurner19

Hey SawTroll.  When do you think the 462's will be available in the US? Thanks
MS 270 C   MS 461,  Remodeling Contractor, Married, 2 kids, 2004 Dodge Deisel, 2013 4X4 KingQuad, Stihl saws, 35 ton 4way Splitter.

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

khntr85

Quote from: SawTroll on October 22, 2016, 06:29:40 AM
Both are of course good saws, it really depends on what size of saw you need.

A few points to be aware of though:

- both have an inboard clutch, which may seem convenient, but has disadvantages regarding the handling of the saws + some mechanical disadvantages

- the 362 has a plastic handlebar, enough to avoid it imo (but most don't care). At least make sure you get the newest weight-reduced version

- the 461 has an antiquated rubber AV system, so avoid that one if you are even remotely vibe sensitive - and it is about to be replaced by the 462.

Well saw troll has probably forgotten more than I know about saws.... but as far as vibration goes, I think the ms461 is smooth personally.... I have used many kinds of blowers, trimmers, and chainsaws....I have a ms362 that has the spring AV and I feel the same after running it or the 461 for 4-6 hours.... obviously I can tell the wieght difference in that time, but I like the "stiffer" AV on the 461....this is just my opinion, not trying to ruffle any feathers here lol!!!

sandsawmill14

i havent noticed the vibe being bad on the 461 either BUT i dont run it all day and i am NOT sensitive to vibrations at all :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

khntr85

To be honest with you, my left hand goes "tingling" when I use a trimmer for 15 minutes or more.... I think it's just the constant angle of my arm.... also if I blow leaves for a long time it will happen....it's funny but chainsaws do it the least to me....

timberjack 240a

With a 25" I'd go 461. That's my primary felling saw and it's great. 362 is a great saw as well.  I assume you're cutting hardwood, and if it's end cuts and butt chunks left behind by loggers, you will be happy with the extra grunt the 461 has
When all else fails, cut it and see what happens.
2016 kenworth t800, rotobec elite, timberjack 240a, deere 450j, kobelco 70sr, mahindra 4035, to many saws to count

khntr85

Quote from: timberjack 240a on October 29, 2016, 04:45:15 PM
With a 25" I'd go 461. That's my primary felling saw and it's great. 362 is a great saw as well.  I assume you're cutting hardwood, and if it's end cuts and butt chunks left behind by loggers, you will be happy with the extra grunt the 461 has
Hey how long have you been running the ms461 as you felling saw...what size bar do you usually have on it....have you had any issues with it at all... I know I don't have that many hours on mine, but I love it none the less..mine is like a *DanG light saber with the 25" bar!!!!

khntr85

Her is my ms461 with a 25" bar about to break this big red oak butt down... and she did it in quick fashion!!!!

timberjack 240a

I've been running it for about a year and a half with a 25". Real reliable saw, no issues. I went in on a deal with a few guys for 5 new ones with 25" bars. I was running a ms460 at the time and loved that so I bought 2 of the 5 ms461. Still run the 460 and still have a 461 in the box. The other three of the five were bought by some guys who are not to easy on saws and they have had no issues either. Over all great running and cutting saw.
When all else fails, cut it and see what happens.
2016 kenworth t800, rotobec elite, timberjack 240a, deere 450j, kobelco 70sr, mahindra 4035, to many saws to count

khntr85

Quote from: timberjack 240a on October 30, 2016, 08:54:07 PM
I've been running it for about a year and a half with a 25". Real reliable saw, no issues. I went in on a deal with a few guys for 5 new ones with 25" bars. I was running a ms460 at the time and loved that so I bought 2 of the 5 ms461. Still run the 460 and still have a 461 in the box. The other three of the five were bought by some guys who are not to easy on saws and they have had no issues either. Over all great running and cutting saw.
Wow, thanks for that info...... I think guys like you that are using the saws daily are the people that should be taken seriously....you take a guy that depends on a saw to feed his family, he will tell you straight up if it's worth owning!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!