iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air Drying on Pallet Racks

Started by Tom the Sawyer, May 28, 2017, 10:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodnacreek

I also don't think you could get enough weight on if you are air drying hardwood. What I do is cover the ends of the piles with most anything to keep out the water, sun and wind. To my way of thinking the sides should not be obstructed with anything [for green lumber]. The only thing I have seen shade cloth used for was pine logs being kept wet in hot weather. Putting timbers on drying piles is something I don't do any more as packs of 1x work better. I sure would love to have those racks you built for dry lumber.

Andries

Y'know, if Tom found that his lumber would benefit from some top down gravity application, he could keep one weighted lumber pallet for the very top.
Scrap iron, concrete slabs or coffin lids, whatever.
He'd be able to shuffle his lumber pallets in the rack, then place the heavy "topper" onto the pile.

Looks very good Tom, well done.
As YH says: "taking steps to save steps !"   :)
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

YellowHammer

I was looking at your picture in reply 22, you have a real nice place.  Every bit of infrastructure you add will be a great benefit in the long run.
Good job.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

scsmith42

Looking great Tom!  Thanks for taking us along with you on your journey.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

firefighter ontheside

Got my pallet racks today.  I have enough for 4 sections wth 2 levels each.  I paid $23 total for these at an auction.  Had to dismantle myself, but I think it was a great deal.  These should be heavy duty enough I think.  Not sure about the color, but I take what I can get.  Now I have to figure out where to set them up.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Tom the Sawyer

That is a wonderful deal.  My set was about $800 as I recall.  If outside, make sure you bolt them down.  That tall and narrow, with the shade cloth on, they can move in high winds (until you get them loaded down).  :o
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

doc henderson

I had a car trailer full of it and did not use it, so gave it back to my cousin.  Very well done Tom.  I may have to rethink.  Or if he still has not used it, it would be free to someone.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tmbrcruiser

Tom, how did you anchor the shade cloth? I build a drying shed and left both sides open then covered with shade cloth. One side I don't access lumber from so fixing the cloth with narrow boards works. The other side I used cable and rollers along the headers. Problem is the wind, blows the cloth like crazy.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

tmbrcruiser

Should have added looks GREAT!
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Don P

That looks good! I've got several set up in the shop at the sawmill loaded with stickered wood. I loaded a couple more shelves a week or so ago with 4/4 red oak to dry. Years ago Lowes was moving and had an auction. I went with the intention of buying a few shelves. Well they were selling it by the row, so I bid on a row and got it for what I thought was a good price. Apparently I then went into my happy place and was nodding to myself cause the next thing I heard, yup, I had won the next row too :D. Mamma was not happy!

Tom the Sawyer

The shade cloth comes with grommets every 2 feet.  Inside the roof framing I used large screw hooks to hang the shade cloth.  At this point, the bottom corners are restrained by bungee cords through 8x8x16 cement blocks.  Since the back would not be accessed, that shade cloth section is 36' long (32' run + 4' to cover the end).  If I need to access sections frequently, I may rig up a roll-up system for the front, 3, sections.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.

Stephen1

I am bringing up this agin as I am looking to purchase shade cloth for drying sheds. I not only need it for the summer to keep the sun off but more so now to keep the snow off. 
Where and what kind of shade cloth is everyone using?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

firefighter ontheside

Ive bought several off of Amazon that I use to shade my deck.  They hang from the roof and hang down to the deck rail.  There are quite a few sizes available.  I just saw one 8x16 for around $45.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Tom the Sawyer

I got mine from a greenhouse supply company, available in custom sizes with grommets every two feet.  My pallet rack is oriented facing east and west.  On the east and north sides I used 30% fabric to increase air flow.  There are trees to the east so there isn't much sunlight to contend with.  On the west and south sides where there is more sun exposure, I used 80% shade cloth.

Thank You Sponsors!