iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Water Lube On A CSM

Started by TJB, January 10, 2010, 10:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJB

Howdy Group
I have been trying a lot of different things and learning a lot since I finished my mill back at the end of September. First thing I learned is that I didn't have it finished it after all. I'm starting to wonder if it's ever going to end! The first thing I had to do I was weld some tubing under the tracks to stiffen them because the angle iron I used was too light. I have also been trying different chain angles and raker height. I tried 10 degrees and then 5 degrees, but found I get the best results filing my chains 0 degrees and filing the rakers down 35 thousandths. The saw is ripping through the logs a lot faster and the lumber is coming out quite a bit smoother. I am using a 7/32 file but I read somewhere here that you can use a 3/16 file to put more hook to the tooth and it will cut faster, I plan on trying that next. A couple of weeks ago while I was milling my buddy used a pump up sprayer to spray water on the tip of the bar and it made a surprising difference in how much faster I could saw through the log. When I don't use the water the dust is a lot worse and it bakes on the bar until it has a pretty thick build up. The water worked so well I decided I needed to build a water system. I built a 5 gallon system today, but haven't put it on the mill yet. It's a 5 gallon bucket with a 1/2 inch plastic boiler valve. I drilled a hole through the side of the bucket, put the boiler valve through with a 1/2 faucet lock washer on the inside to hold it. Then drilled a 3/8 hole in a plastic cap and glued in a brass fitting with a 3/8 piece of rubber hose on it. Here's some photos of it.  

TJ Brown
www.tjswoodshop.com

pasbuild

Thanks for sharing the pic's  I'm in need of a new water container and I have a ton of DW buckets  8)
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

thecfarm

Good idea.I would also put another shut on on it too.That way when you get just the flow you want with one and you have to stop you can shut the other one off.No need to adjust the other one just right.Just turn it back on and you are all set to saw again.Might not even need a 5 gallon bucket either,but will need to fill it more.Keep a lid on it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dan_Shade

I'd be concerned about the water causing premature bar and chain wear.  I know some of the Granbergs have auxiliary oilers on the tip of the bar.  I've used them, they seem to help.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

pitotshock

Here is a link from the guys down in Australia who were doing the same thing from about a year ago. Some of them comment on that while the water keeps everything quite cool, washing the bar oil off does take its toll by wearing out chains and bars.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f132/water-cooled-chainsaw-chain-57781/
Stihl MS361, Makita DCS340

TJB

thecfarm, good idea and it does have a lid.

Dan_Shade, I have my oiler turned up wide open and thought about adding another oiler to the bar tip, but I liked what the water did when I tried it. I only plan on milling a half dozen logs a year so I dont think the wear will be much of a factor for me, but I will keep a eye open for it. 
TJ Brown
www.tjswoodshop.com

TJB

Thanks for the link pitotshock, I enjoyed reading it. I checked my bar when I was done that day and didnt notice any less oil, but I will watch for it.
TJ Brown
www.tjswoodshop.com

Captain

TJ what kinds of wood are you cutting?

In all of my time ripping with a CSM / Slabber I've never tried water.  Keep us posted with your results.

Captain

TJB

Howdy Captain
So far all I've cut with this mill is eastern red cedar and cherry. Will be cutting hackberry, persimmon and walnut in the next few weekends as the weather allows, I'll let you know how it works.
TJ
TJ Brown
www.tjswoodshop.com

captain_crunch

I wonder if Kerosene might work it would cool some and cut pitch as well and would flow thru your set up well and had some lube to it. Check with Baileys they had chains altered for this. File 90 deg cutters or they dip and dive and eat bars. Seems like I remember they ground top plate off every 3rd tooth leaveing just the sideplate to clean out sawdust
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!