iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidder chains question

Started by xalexjx, February 15, 2013, 02:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xalexjx

I have a C5 tree farmer with the 353 detriot and 18.4x26's on it, curently running it without chains on the back, cant find any used so was looking at new ice chains for it. Got some prices and 1/2 is $820 shipped 9/16 is $1200 shipped and 5/8 is close to 1500. Only cutting wood on the days off and weekends, would 1/2" chains on the back be worth running or would you guys suggest larger. Thanks Alex
Logging and Processed Firewood

Bill_G

It depends alot on the type of ground , is it really rocky ? For years I ran Clark 664s and only ran ring chains on the front and in winter I would put cross chains on the rear . But to answer your question , the beefier the chain the longer they last .

xalexjx

more mud then rocky, most of the use will be during the winter. We have on average 2-3 ft snow. I was just worried bout breaking 1/2 chains when loaded pulling logs and turning sharp..

lumberjack48

I would get the 9/16, for the 350 more you get 4 times the chains.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

xalexjx

Bill_G

Yes I agree , spend the extra .

PAFaller

Spend the extra money and get at least the 9/16 theyll last a lot longer and offset that cost. If you are only running on weekends that set will last you multiple years Im sure. What kind of chains are you looking at? Id stay away from the made in China stuff, they arent worth the money either.
It ain't easy...

Stephen Alford

Welcome to the forum xalexjx.  I have found the C5 a little light on the backend especially when backing up slope.  This is the first reason I run the chains on the rear. The heavier the better, like the lads stated.  Does not cure the problem but helps. The tires should be loaded  but they are in bad shape.  I like the studded ice chains. They appear to big for the wheels , however I like them out over the side. In snow and blowdown  she will climb over a log when she rubs against it rather than spin. The other reason for putting them on the back is  I should have fixed steps into the machine with better positioned handles.  With the snow and mud sometimes you slip climbing in or out. The rubber tire doesn't leave the same marks on  your face the studded chains do.  :D   Not to sound like an ol nay sayer but for me chatter snow is the toughest on the machine.

logon

xalexjx

well 9/16's it is, mostly for turning backing up and backing over logs. the ones i am looking at are through tire chains required the american chains series.

thanks again for the advise

treefarmer87

if I had the money id get them for my c6, but im saving for a grapple conversion :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

David-L

TRC are great chains and I recently went with the 5/8's single diamond at $1,300 with free shipping and a real nice jacket to boot. Same chain as Babac American made and were super easy to put on. If looking at used chains bring a saw file 7/32's and take a couple of swipes on the cleat or across the U hook, If you get a groove and lots of shavings most likely china steel. Then you always offer much less for them. Good luck, and I am glad I went with the 5/8's 100lbs more per chain than the 9/16/s.

Caveman
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Thank You Sponsors!