iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new planer

Started by jimparamedic, October 22, 2011, 09:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimparamedic

set up my 20" thickness planer to run off an old briggs engine. there was no name on the planer works good

jueston

looks like some good old machinery, glad to see it running again...

Larry

I got a similar machine out of a carriage shop that dated back to the period when folks were riding covered wagons out west.  The owner said the machine was best for softwood with two knives and the cutting angle.  I got it running and changed the cutting angle on the knives to run hardwood.  It left little scallops, I guess because I didn't have the speed right.  Didn't know much about planers at the time and didn't keep the machine long.

I remember 15 years ago replacement knives were somewhere in the $300 range.  I doubt you could find anybody to make a set today because of product liability.  Those bolts holding the knives are 100 years or older.  Probably fatigued making the machine unsafe to use.  New bolts are special made, hard to find, and cost most than knives.  I can't see any kind of hood to retain a thrown knife.  I don't see a pressure bar or chip breaker.  Kick backs are very possible especially if you run more than one board at a time.

Best use for that machine is yard art...maybe a mail box holder.  It's just way to dangerous to run and you will find out it really doesn't do that good of job.

Just don't like seeing blood. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

jimparamedic

I've had the planer about ten year. bought it off a family that said there dad bought it when he built thier house back in the 30's. it is a thickness planer and is use on green wood or semi green to bring ruff cut boards to the same thickness. has worked good for me. But I know its limits and don't try to do more than what was made for.Old equipment is my thing.

5quarter

Great machinery. I would try to find out the rated rpm, or at least find the lowest rpm that still gives you the desired result. I think that as long as you don't run the rpms too high and don't try to hog off too much at once and keep it well lubricated, you should be fine. I love old machines almost as much as I love new machines... ;D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Quebecnewf

I went down the same road . Bought an old planer (for too much money but I was worried it would end up in the dump) got an old BS motor from a friend . Set it up at the mill and it works great. Planed a whole bunch of firring strips just yesterday.

Mine is a three sided planer . I am still trying to get some T&G knives made for it by a local guy. He has been busy and I am in no big rush

Here is the missus running some wood

Here it is set up in the doorway of the workshop for a test run before I took it to the mill site
Quebecnewf

jimparamedic

great machine hate to tell what I paid for mine. well you could say I stoll it ai $100

mometal77

Pb blaster works wonders on these old pieces
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

HuZzEy

my grand father has the exact same planer we still use it we run it off the crank pulley on his JD model B I'll ask him some Q's about he might know alot about them

HuZzEy

my grand father thinks his was made by american sawmill

Knute

Is that engine an old model 19. I ran my belsaw planer for 30 years with a model 19.

Thank You Sponsors!