iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging tongs purchase question

Started by davefrommd, October 28, 2003, 03:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davefrommd

We usually wrap a chain around a log and drag & lift it out of the woods with a 3 point hitch with that crane looking implement as I don't know the correct word for that implement.

I would like to buy a logging tong but aren't to sure which one to buy as they have the dragging and lifting one. Is the lifting one worth the extra money and is it of better quality and safer. I noticed one has a hook and the other has a swivel ring. Which one do you think I should buy. This is for personal use for firewood for our home. We cut anywhere from 10-20 trees a year anywhere from 6" to maybe 14" diameter. Most probably around the 12" range. I'd like to hear your suggestions. I did look at the previous posting with all the nice looking pictures. Just not to sure which one to buy. Thanks in advance.  Dave

WV_hillbilly

Dave,

I use a set of dragging tongs like you are suggesting. I have a real short heavy duty lifting boom on my 3 point hitch of my Ford 3000. I  bought a 25 '' set from Bailey's about  $80 - $ 90. I  saw  a set in Northern Hydraulics  today for $60 ish I think for you  a smaller set may serve your needs better. The biggest log I can pull up a slight grade at my place is a 14'  x 20''butt dia. cherry . With that big of log my steering is real light. I need to get some front weights. I will try and take a pic this weekend since I don'thave to work at my day job and will be playing with tractor and saws in the woods.
Hillbilly

Mark M

I just ordered a set from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company. It goes from 4 - 25 inches and cost $65. I think the difference between the lifting and skidding tongs is the lifting tongs have been certified safe for a certain load. Unless you will be lifting the logs up in the air as in log home construction you probably don't need to spend the extra money. I know I didn't.

Mark

davefrommd

Ok, thanks for your input. That explains it a little better. We're using a fairly new newholand 4x4 with about 30-35hp I forget which one. I thought the tongs would be alot better and easier to use then trying to get the chain underneath and around the log. I have the northern, baileys and another catalog. I really appreciate the good help and advice you gave me.  Thanks  again.. Dave

Larry

Dave,
I use tongs, logging arch, and chokers to skid with my Ford 1720 4wd.  The method I use depends on the terrain, the size of the log, and which side of the bed I get up from in the morning.

In your case I would consider the use of a choker cable or chain.  You can get the choker cable from Bailys.  To set either the cable or chain I have a 4' long by 3/8" diameter stainless steel rod.  Has a hook on one end and a 12" long "T" handle on the other end.  The rod has a slight bend in it.  To use it just push it under the log and pull the chain or choker back with the hook on the end.

If you go with tongs sharpen the points and they will work a lot better.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Tom

I use Dixie Skidding tongs.  It's been so long since I bought them that I don't know the nomenclature but I don't know what I would do without them.  Here's how I use them.(have two sets)

I welded a chain hook on the top middle of my bucket on a Ford 1910.  It's a 4wd 28 horse.  I hang the hook from it via a 3 ft. chain.  Sometimes I dangle it below the bucket and sometimes I shorten the chain to about 1 foot and roll the bucket so that I'm actually carrying the log crosswise on the bucket and the skidding hooks hold it there.

I have a "tool bar" that I put on the 3 point hitch arms and hang the skid hook from a clevis that is put in the center hole.

I back up to the log, drop the hook on the log, (you can use a stick to manipulate the hook if need be, I keep one on the hood of the tractor.) and then raise the 3 point hitch just enough put weight on the rear tires and lift the front edge of the log a couple of inches.  It's dangerous to skid quickly because you can upset a tractor if the log catches on a stump or something.

I also have a Backhoe that I use around the mill.  I welded a chain hook on the back of the bucket near the pins and use the 3 foot chain and skid hook to position logs on the ramp at the mill by using the boom like a crane.

I don't think either pair is certified for lifting but I do lift with them but only high enough to unload or load a trailer or to boom the logs from a pile to the ramp.

My favorite is set of Dixies.

Fla._Deadheader

Just for comparison's sake, the major difference between "skid" tongs and "Lift" tongs is how far around the log the tongs will go, and, if the points are nearly facing each other while hanging, (Skid), or if the points are turned upwards while hanging, (lift). Usually, lifting tongs will fold up closer together than skid tongs, also.
  We use lifting tongs on the boat, so we get a better bite around the log and reduce "tearing" of the log where the points pull loose.

Incidently, when I bought the tongs, they came with a hook at the top, so, that is not always an indication which type tongs you are buying. I cut the kook top section off, and we welded a ring in it's place.

I take off the shackle from the cable and pass the cable end through the ring, and then put the shackle back through the cable eye. That allows the cable to "float" through the tongs, in case the log is too big for the tongs, AND, carrying a 30# set of tongs underwater, is NOT fun.

The log we are still digging on is too large for the tongs at 10 feet from the small end. We loop the cable over the end and just slide it down the log as we dive. ::) ;D ;D

We plan on taking pics of this log, which is sticking out of the river about 15' right now. It goes another 14' into the water and HAS to be 10' or more into the sand, YET ::) ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!