iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Short wood on woodmizer

Started by CLL, February 03, 2007, 09:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLL

Had a man give  me a bunch of 10-16" Cedar, problem is it is 54-62" long. NIce stuff hate to sell it for shaving. All help appreciated. ???
Too much work-not enough pay.

Robert Long

CLL

Sounds like it would make a nice batch of shingles :-\

Robert

Bibbyman

Cedar benches and tables.  Ask Arky how he makes them.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Cedarman

Bibbyman, thanks for flipping the light switch on in my head. Now I see how to level the legs.  Before, I was in the dark on the matter.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

LT40HDD51

Nice, Bibbyman. I love seeing uses like that ;D I once used mine to cut a real deep speaker box down to fit behind the seat of my truck. I was sitting there going "how am I gonna cut the back off that in one clean, straight cut..."  :D
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

Minnesota_boy

How would that cedar hold up in the weather as decking for a dock?  Seems the right length for the width of a dock.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

logwalker

Those are good sizes for most cabinet work. Doors, cases, etc. I could see a nice bunch of wainscoting to be used in a closet. I can also see a cedar chest with those dimensions.
"Saw them and they will go." A nearly famous man once said that. 
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

CLL

Appreciate all the ways of using it, but how do you cut it?

tcsmpsi

Have you tried a forum search on the subject?  Seems I remember a while back some ideas/methods of cutting short logs.

I need either similar information, or as I get a moment (or nine), go and do the search myself.  I can cut down to a 36" length, but have a couple large cedar butts I am wanting to cut that are about 32".  I can think of a couple methods in my mind, but always helps to see know what has worked for others.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

logwalker

I don't understand your problem. If it is 50 to 60" long why doesn't it fit on the mill? What are you running for a mill? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

CLL

Don't want to seem stupid,but, DAHHHHHHHH  I was told by the orange people that about a 6' log was as short as I could cut. I probably didn't explain it real well. What I was wondering was how to hold shorter logs and cut them.

Tom

Most mills cut a min. of 8 feet long.  You can add manual dogs that will allow shorter stuff until you run into a problem of bunk distance.   Then you have to build something.  The problem with real short stuff is that it twists.  When you lose it from the clamp, you are running the risk of damaging the blade and/or the guides, or possibly an individual standing nearby.  It isn't always worth it even if it's possible.

One of the safest ways is to free hand it on a shop bandsaw.

ronwood

I cut my short pieces simular to metalspinner. The 2 plane clamp  system works well to hold the shorter pieces.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

tcsmpsi

Not sure just which mill (other than being WM) you have, CLL, or how it is set up.

My bunks are 30" apart, so I can set a 32" on two of them.  I was considering a similar set up as metalspinner shows and ronwood mentions.

Only, I was considering running a plank on each side of the butt, long enough to engage clamp/dogs on each end (which are about 34" apart at their max., reasonable usefulness).
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

jackpine

I hold real short pieces the way Metalspinner shows but Tom is right, if they have an irregular shape and don't clamp very well they can twist and bind up doing all kinds of nasty things >:( One thing I found that helps is to cut VERY slowly so as not to put much side pressure on the piece.

Bill

CLL

Thanks I think I have the idea now. I really appreciate the help. When you new at this better to ask then do something stupid, especially in my case where you wasn't blessed with all the gray matter you should have. :D

LT40HDD51

Cant remember how short I can cut on mine right offhand, but as long as it hits the 2 middle side supports and you can grab it with the clamp, should be able to saw it. I've done short stuff for guys before, they paid by the hour, not the foot   ;D
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

isawlogs

To do short logs on my LT40HD , I put a 2X4 , 2X6 or a 2X8 against the side supports , clamp the log or peice to it and saw away till I can get a square , or three sided cant , then turn it so the round side is up , pull it forward , so that the front backrest ( metal stub on the mill thats on the front bonk ) can be used take the 2X out , clamp the peice and finish sawing ...
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!