iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much would you bid...

Started by Mr Mom, March 13, 2006, 12:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Mom

The vol fire dept in the next town are going to bid off a 1978 dodge one ton truck.
     Do not know the miles very little i would think. Has a contractors box on it with what looks like homemade ladder rack. The body looks good from the road. might need paint job later down the road.
     Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

flip

First ?? would be what ya wan it for?  Miles?  Engine size, type of trans.?

Me, probably not over $2000.

Flip
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Mr Mom

Flip   I do alot of odd jobs around and the contractor box would help.
     The 1 ton would come in handy when there is logs to haul or firewood that need hauled away.
     The miles should not be that much because it was in the dept. It was their grass truck i think.
     Engine size would not mater because i dont drive very far. Trans does not mater because i can drive both and so can my wife.
     I like the older dodges too. My first truck was a 1974 dodge truck.

Thanks alot Mr Mom

Furby

While it may not matter to you, the size/type of engine and tranny sure affect price of the truck.
No point in spending $2k on something worth $500.
I'd try and find out as much as you can about it if I were you.
Go take a look at it, if they are selling it, they won't have a problem with you looking it over and asking questions.
They probly have all the sevice records for it and would let you take it to a garage to have it looked over. ;)

Mr Mom

Furby   good point. I will have to stop and look at it closer.
     The auction is next month sometime. I think my wife said at the end. It is a sealed bid.

Thanks alot Mr Mom

shopteacher

I'd try to find a blue book value for it as a start.  I looked up my 98 F150 and trade in was listed at about 1800.00. 
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

SwampDonkey

I wouldn't give more than $500 for a truck that old. Even if there aren't many miles there can be problems just the same. And I'm no mechanic. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thurlow

Sounds like you're looking for a work truck;  engine size, type of transmission, springs, tires, etc;  all those things matter.   I've driven nothing but Dodges since 1966; never had a bad one and the current one has better than 200,000 miles on it, but it can really make a difference how they're equipped, as to whether it'll do what you want it to do.......
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Mr Mom

The problem is that i dont do alot of stuff like you guy do.
     I will not be pulling a big mill or tractors but there is times that i need a ton of gravel or need to haul somthing heavy. I cant seeing going out to buy a new one ton when i dont haul alot of weight all the time.
     I am stuck between a roch and a hard place.
     I have firewood at three places that i cant get beacuse i dont have a truck.

Thanks alot Mr Mom

etat

If it was me I'd assume the truck would probably not bring more than 5  to 6 hundred dollars, and i'd assume somebody else might bid the 500  (depending upon condition) and if i wanted it I'd bid 535.00 and not a penny more.   Those types of trucks at a auction usually go cheap. 
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Vermonter

Any chance this was a military M880?
New homestead

Mr Mom

Vermonter    I dont know. I think that it just a regular one ton but dont know.
     Tomarrow I will call see if i can get any more infor on the truck.

Thanks alot Mr Mom   

rebocardo

Some one ton work trucks

http://www.boyceequipment.com/

click on the the yellow chevy and see the 78 Dodge 4x4 below it.

isassi

Kind of reminds me of a Dodge I found on E-bay a few years ago. It was a fire and rescue truck, 4WD, 400 V8, less then 2000 miles. Starting bid: $1800, and no bidders 6 days into the sale. I called the guy and could tell he thought no one would bid on it. Offered to let me have it for $1500 and close the auction. Super smart me said I'll think about it. Day seven he dropped the starting bid to $500 with no reserve, and fox that I am (smarter then most), I waitied til the last few minutes to bid. End of story was, the bid at $500 came is with 5 minutes to close, and the auction ended with a high bid of $6155. All this in four minutes. That was my first E-bay lesson about bid snipers and lots of folks wait to bid or have a auto bid software to hit something at the end like that.

Depending on miles, and overall condition, I bet you will have to pay in excess of $2000 for it unless it is a rust wreck. Only good thing is a sealed bid means no one gets the fever like a live auction does.  ;)

Mr Mom

Joasis     it is not a rust wreck look pretty good form the road. Might have to take a closer look and some pictures.
     Rebocardo   Thanks for the site now i want a 5 ton truck.  :D :D :D

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

SwampDonkey

I always wait till near the end of an auction to bid as well, but I only place my max bid and if I get outbid I usually figure they paid to much. And alot of times I'm right because the 'loser' (in this case someone that outbid his wits) will usually back out of the auction. Seen it happen at least 10 times in my limited ebaying.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Vermonter

If you're looking for old Dodge parts (M880), or for 2.5 or 5 ton trucks, check out Saturn Surplus
I had a M884 radio rig, 1977, 27000 original miles.  Great truck, finally solved the fuel problems with an electric pump.  I don't think anyone could have used a truck harder than I did that one.  It's in retirement in the hills, plows one driveway a year now.

If you're into sniping, try easysnipe.com
I've never used it, but lots of my buyers have.  They let you use it for free, and the closer to the close you want your bid, the more they charge.
New homestead

isassi

Something to be said for E-bay and bid sniping. I don't do it, I bid what I think it's worth, and thats it, no more. I hate bid sniping, but that is how it works. One thing I like about the yesterdays tractors auction is the fact that the auction ends 20 minutes after the last bid is placed on the ending day. Sure does defeat the bid snipers. I wouldn't mind if E-bay set it up so when you bid, the bid actually increased the full amount, rather then proxy bidding.

tnlogger

joasis I know how you feel about that I've lost some good deals I thought I had buy bid sniping  ;)
gene

UNCLEBUCK

Yes I would agree with C about this truck !  Sealed bids on small town municipal items usually go very cheap . C knows his auction stuff  >:(        ;D ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

etat

I always bid snipe too, that is unless I'm buying a valuable christmas CD or something like that!    ;D
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

beenthere

Quote from: joasis on March 14, 2006, 07:32:44 PM
........., I bid what I think it's worth, and thats it, no more. .............defeat the bid snipers. I wouldn't mind if E-bay set it up so when you bid, the bid actually increased the full amount, rather then proxy bidding.

joasis
Would you go to an auction and jump raise the bid clear up to the price "you think it is worth"? I wouldn't.  Or would you keep that 'secret' in your mind, without anyone else knowing just how high you are willing to bid?   ???  I do, and think that is how eBay proxy bidding works.

I guess I don't see where bid sniping is so bad, as I put in a proxy bid at the amount I am willing to pay, and often if I remember, put that proxy in at the last few seconds.     If I win the bid for less, I am happy that I saved some money. If someone snipes me for a higher bid, then I cannot be upset. They were willing to pay more for the item, than I was.  
In fact, that is one thing that I like the best about eBay 'shopping'. Bid sniping does add an unknown to the bidding. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isassi

Very good point, beenthere. No one would go to a regular auction and high bid beyond an asking bid...unless you are clearing out the small fry. I have, when I wanted something badly, raised the bid by large jumps to get out another bidder who is nickel and diming it up. He wants it, he is gonna pay for it.  :D Another point: A regular auction ends with the best and highest bid, which is the last bid. Bid sniping, when done electronically, eliminates someone like me, on a dial up modem, from even considering raising my bid in the nano second four other bidders place. I have been watching items, and have a comfortable margin above the bid, and in the last 15 seconds, loose it to a sniper or programmed bid. But oh well...if I didn't get along with E-bay, I wouldn't buy online and I do a lot. My feedback is perfect and would be more, but I don't leave feedback til I recieve it first ::) We all have differing opinions, and I respect all others...even about sniping. Sometimes it is even funny to read the bid history and see some guy peck away at a bid til he gets it, then get blown away by a sniper...just like real life.  :D

Reminds me of a story I heard last week about our local real estate/auctioneer guru.  He was conducting an auction of a farm, and the guy everyone thought would be the buyer was bidding it up, when another guy, a cousin of the auctioneer, began bidding and the price went way up. The original bidder quit....turned away and walked to his truck. The cousin had a sick look on his face and it was obvious to everyone the guru just bought the property when he was only trying to run the price higher for a larger commission...there is a little justice out there  :D

Mr Mom

I think i will bid $2500 and just let it ride. I have untill the 21 of april. By then i could get a closer look at it.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Saki

One item you might want to consider is how a fire truck is used. My father in law got one that he is going to have to overhaul. Most of the time the truck sits until there is a need for it, then it is fired up by any one of several operators, run like a tornado up to the fire while the engine is cold, and then may idle there for hours. Definitely not the best of operating condidtions. Do your research, look it over, and when you decide what you would be willing to give, stick withthat amount. Wish you the best of luck on your purchase. Saki

Thank You Sponsors!