iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rockler woodworking

Started by southdakotasolo, January 30, 2018, 04:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southdakotasolo

purchased a sjobergs work bench from rockler woodworking and when it arrived it was bowed about 1/8 inch across its width. contacted rockler and so far have been given no good word as to what they are going to do about it. they first asked if I would plane it down or sand it down to level. are they joking. when you pay good money for a product you do not expect to have to fix it. have heard nothing for a week. are they another EDITED BY ADMIN the customer co. just asking.

starmac

I am not sure what edited by the admin means, but hopefully they will make it right. You are right, a guy should not have to fix anything new, but quality sucks all across the board anymore it seems sometimes.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Jeff

It means he used a disguised profanity, which if it would have been completely spelled out, grounds for getting banned.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

starmac

Gotcha, duh, I was thinking it was something to do with rockler company.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Don P

I can see it a couple of ways. A 1" thick beech top, that's a little flimsy for a workbench. It looks pretty much like an Ikea type product. I have no doubt they did a fine job drying and manufacturing it but then it was shipped here through and into an unknown humidity and it moved as any wood will do when the moisture content changes. They've kind of set themselves and you up for a bad experience. If you and enough people complain they will pull it and only offer heavier, more expensive workbenches. Sort of a double edged solution. One question that would relate to whether a replacement would do the same thing, what is the average relative humidity in your shop right now and is it controlled through the year? I couldn't expect that top to remain stable in my shop, the humidity varies too much. I'd have to put some serious framing under it that would hold it flat yet allow it to expand and contract.

low_48

Does the bottom of the slab have the same amount of finish as the top surface? When there is an imbalance between the two surfaces, one will take on moisture at a different rate. That gives you the cup. It may settle out.

Brad_bb

So why don't you just return it?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!