iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shenandoah Valley: Rocky Mount Wildfire Grows to 3,000 Acres

Started by submarinesailor, April 19, 2016, 08:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

submarinesailor

I know that this isn't a LARGE fire like you guys out west can have, but this is a large fire for Shenandoah National Park (Skyline Drive), making it bad news. The good news for us is that the fire is on the south side of US33. Hopefully US33 will make for a good fire break if it tries to move north towards my place.

According to what I read and if I understand it correctly, the Park Service is letting it burn as long is it does come near any buildings. If it does, then they will go into a "maximum suppression mode." Remember, fire is a natural thing and new life will come up in the aftermath.  I wonder if Phorester is in the middle if this?

Hopefully it will die out when the rains come in on Friday. Lets hope the winds don't go crazy between now and than.

Here is a link to a map of the fire location and area burned:: http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/.../p.../2016_04_17-20.00.52.676-CDT.pdf

justallan1

Quote from: submarinesailor on April 19, 2016, 08:15:18 PM
I know that this isn't a LARGE fire like you guys out west can have

This may sound strange, but big fires come from small fires. ;D None of them are any fun and every last one of them have the potential to be a disaster.
Before these last couple of storms we've had I was starting to think we were going to have it bad this year, I'm hopping it stays wet for another month.
I sure hope everything works out for you guys too.

Thank You Sponsors!