iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wolf attack kills two dogs in idaho

Started by Dan_Shade, June 09, 2006, 08:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asy

Fred, that's exactly what I thought, on the part of the hunting for food guys.

It's the 'sport' or 'trophy' hunting I was wondering about.

And yeah, I agree on freshly caught meat, loooooooove skippy.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

crtreedude

I have never been much into getting the biggest animal - but it doesn't bother me...

If they like tough meat, well, I am happy to take the more tender ones.

Perhaps it is like a trophy - or women and shoes... (couldn't resist)

Now there is a mystery I will never figure out. Why, just yesterday Amy and Ana were commenting on the style of the rubber boots Amy just got.  ::)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

asy

Quote from: crtreedude on June 14, 2006, 07:32:17 AM
Perhaps it is like a trophy - or women and shoes... (couldn't resist)

Now, I know this is off topic, but I feel compelled to reply.

I, asy, own the following pairs of shoes:

1 x pair of short Ugg Boots (for winter round-the-house wear).

1 x pair of rubber thongs (called flip flops there, I do NOT own any rubber underwear that I will admit to).

1 x pair of steel toed Yakka Workboots.

1 x pair of Runners (you call 'em 'trainers, I think)

1 x pair of el-cheapo neoprene type sandals for shopping in heat.

1 x pair of leather clogs. These are my good going out shoes, I wear them for work, meeteings, and even when I was bridesmaid at a wedding.

I'm sorry if that's too many pairs.

Must admit, having a size 13 foot doesn't go well when you try to buy pretty shoes, so all mine are mens shoes, except the runners, found huge-hoofs in ladies size!

crtreedude

There isn't enough space on the forum for Amy's shoes, even after thinning out for moving international... At least that is what I think.

asy

Gosh darn it, I missed a couple...

Also, I own a pair of clog-style slippers (also mens)

And a number of pairs of 'womens shoes' but they are all in boxes under the house. When I find them I'll either donate them or ebay them, depending on how I feel at the time. They've been in boxes at least 5 years, so will see what they're like when I find them.

thurlow

Quote from: asy on June 14, 2006, 03:13:45 AM
OK...

I don't understand what the thing is with killing for sport.

Iasy :D

Well, asy, I'm as country/red neck/good ole boy as you can get; I've hunted for better than 50 years, but I've never understood the killing for sport either.  Just don't get it.  I own a closet-full of guns, but have never shot anything that......1.  I couldn't eat;  2.  needed (according to me) killing i.e. dogs chasing cattle, etc.  Have suscribed to numerous hunting/fishing/shooting magazines through the years;  have always been amused (not the best word, but I don't have a better one) at the guys who go to Africa  and pay big bucks to kill a horse (zebra) in the name of  sport.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

crtreedude

As we head off topic and go toward food... Required after a certain amount of postings.

One thing that has always amused me is that when I fish, I am fishing to eat something. Bluegill, perch, something tasty for sure. (don't know what that is here yet - but I will find out!)

Anyway, I used to have a minnow pound with crawfish too, I will set the trap the night before and have like 8 dozen fathead minnows and probably a couple of dozen crawfish - time to fish.

My little 14 foot boat and I would go fishing - often with a friend. The friend in question was always after the biggest fish he could get. Had probably 500 dollars of lures, etc, etc.

I would just set there all day, hauling in big perch and smallmouth bass. He would usually be skunked.

He learned real early never to say anything about "Only fishing for the big ones" because usually sometime in the day I would score something big - like a 13 lb lake trout, 6 lb smallmouth, 5 lb brown trout. Everything likes meat!

Used to drive him nuts!

I have caught so many lunker fish on a ultralight rig with minnows that I have lost count, and tons of food!

We had an ongoing bet for lunch - first fish, biggest fish, most fish - win two - and the other guys bought lunch for you.

I never lost.  ;D

Bro. Noble

MOre than the meat,  it's the challange.

I used to love to deer hunt till I learned how and now it's no fun.
I used to love to quail hunt and love to eat them, but now there are too few quail and I don't have the heart to shoot one if I see some.

I used to love to dove hunt because they are hard to hit,  but I don't like to ear them, so I quit.

I used to love to turkey hunt cause they are a challange as well as good eating,  but I'm in the milkbarn during the best turkey hunting hours.

I blast away at ferel cats, dogs, crows, armadillos, and groundhogs,  with no guilty feelings.  The crows are a challange 8)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

crtreedude

No Bro. Noble - it is a chance to say that you are busy - when you aren't!

If you bring home some fish - well, you are the hero!

Jeff

Another reason to hunt is to manage a population. One reason we hunt bear. Without the hunts the bear population becomes a problem. Your better off letting hunters pay to hunt then the tax payers having to pay hunters to reduce a population of problem animals.

You can also take it down to its primal level. One animal's use for another. Hunting is not near as gruesome as natural predation. Just think of the last moments of the dogs in the story that started this thread.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

crtreedude

That is a very good point Jeff - hunting is a very effective means of managing wildlife - and actually bringing it back.

As strange as it may seem - the people at fault for having so many deer now are hunters - without them, deer would have probably gone the way of the buffalo. But, people spending for licenses to hunt bucks provided the funds, and the game wardens to bring back deer.

So when Bambi munches your garden - you know who to blame...  ;D

Tom

Fred, You're a quick study.  YOu are beginning to sound a lot like my Florida warning posts.  :D

asy

Mmmmmmm deeeeeeer.....

Loooooooove a good venison roast...  <asy salivates>

I think I'm getting to understand a little more.

Thanks guys.

crtreedude

Tom, you should see my comments on a forum I co-manage on Costa Rica...

My mom always said I learn quickly...

gary

Asy I'll try and explain throphy hunting for you  as it pertains to deer hunting.  Some people like to spend alot of time in the woods before hunting season starts.  They are there watching the animals all year long.  They learn where they feed and sleep. They will  also know where the deer are with the bigger racks.  They will pick out one deer and that is the only one that they will shoot,  they will let all the other deer walk past them hoping that the deer makes it through that season to grow a little older,wiser and bigger. 
Some people don't really want to shoot a deer (cause then the work begins) but they enjoy being in the woods at that time of the year. So they will let all but the really big deer walk past them ( they just like to see the deer). I hunt with what I call the heart patient club ( 4 out of 10 of us has a heart condtion) they wont shoot a deer  unless someone else will take it or it is a trophy buck. I make sure their is someone close to them to get their deer to the truck for them.myself I am a meat hunter. I shoot the first deer that I can. I do have a trophy buck and a few ducks hanging on my walls. I shot the buck 5 minutes after hunting started it was the first deer I saw that day. I have some pictures of some of my mounts in my gallery if you would like to see them.

asy

Thanks for that Gary.

I had a look at the nice hat rack in your gallery ;)  Did you eat the rest of it?

I guess my question was also with regard to the hunter types that go to Africa/India and kill a Lion/Tiger (or other endangered beastie) just so they can say they did (seems to me).  I don't guess I'll ever understand that, but would love to hear 'why' from their point of view.

gary

crtreedude

Bill

Asy -

You've heard alot good explanations here so I probably don't need to add this but its one of those little trivia things.

I like Teddy Roosevelt - not that I knew him as he was a little ahead of me. Its his deeds that stand out. ( oh I'm gettin to the point I just take time to git there )  He hunted for meat but I believe he also went for trophies. He was pretty much ahead of the curve - 100 yrs ago no less - on land use also - locked up more in Nat'l Parks/Forests - singlehandedly - than any other President. He wanted to preserve some/alot of the american wilderness for the future. He also had a nasty reputation for shooting alot of game. And I'm sure that you heard the story about how his hunting party killed a mother bear but when they found a cub he insisted on saving the cub and we came to have the "Teddy Bear " from that concern for animals. I'm under the impression that all the game they got was eaten ( or cured for later use ) . But he also hunted under contract. Some of his famous African safari's were funded by museums for exhibits for their displays. Now I personally am not a trophy hunter - not even a very good hunter - and I'm not saying all trophy hunters are good or bad - more like I'm saying I think there are good and bad of everything - it seems to me that its whats inside a person that counts.

BTW - His house in Oyster Bay NY is pretty neat - his wife allowed him his trophies/mementoes but  had her space without the exhibits for entertaining. Now then his place out west ( Medora ND I believe ) well he was a bachelor then.

FWIW   I believe what they say about him - he woulda been a great man even if he had not been President, especially if you look at him in the context of the values of his own time. And I'm old fashioned enough to believe that his cliche "Square Deal" ought to mean something.

gary

I killed a fly once it tasted so bad that now I wont kill them

SwampDonkey

There are also those hunters that carry a gun in the pickup, but it never leaves the case all season. It's just a chance, or excuse, to get away from the rat race , or someone ;) ,for a few days with no intensions of shooting game. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norwiscutter

Hunting, in my mind has very little to do with the actual shooting of the game and more to do with all that goes into it.  For me, it is mainly the comradery. The preperation, the shopping for equipment, the stories, hunting camp, the snow storms, etc. all are the things I look forward too.  Some of the best memories I have of my brother that I lost this summer are of the times that we had together doing hunting related activities. I love eating wild game and am willing to hunt any animal as long as I am also willing to eat it. I don't think I have ever seen any meat in this area go to waste from a hunter that was only looking for a hide or antlers. All the hunters that I have known that don't like the meat always make sure it finds it's way to someone that does.  Here, if you don't want your deer for some reason, it can be donated to the local food pantry.  I just find it amazing some times the negative perception some people have of an activity that serves so many good purposes.
I really think the perception that hunters shoot animals and leave them in the woods is a result of the anti gun/anti hunting establishment spreading misinforation on to people that don't know any better.  Not saying that these kind of people don't exist, but I can say that of the hundreds of people that I have met around the country while undertaking hunting related activities, I have yet to meet anyone that would act in such a maner.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

beenthere

NORWISCUTTER
(hey, that's interesting.  Hit the tab key and the message is posted.  Now I'll finish it  :) )

What you said I agree with 100%.  The 'hunt' is all those things and more.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!