iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidder Dilemma

Started by SliverPicker, February 12, 2014, 01:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SliverPicker

I recently purchased a C5 from a guy in Michigan.  I was told it was a 1985 C5D.  Well, to make a long story short it turns out, after talking to John at  Davco in Maine the skidder is actually a 1976 or 1977 C5?. 

Is this grounds to try to retroactively negotiate the price? 
Yooper by trade.

mad murdock

Man that is a tough one!  If the negotiated price was set and agreed upon more by its manufactured year rather than condition of the machine as a whole, then it may be worth a try, IMO.  I gauge worth of older iron soley on condition machine, regardless of how old it is.  Kind of how aircraft are treated. Year of manufacture is a minor consideration. What matters is condition of the component parts, how much time on the engine since overhaul, %rubber left, trans and final drive condition, hydraulics condition and function, and winch status and operation. The year it was built is really a minor issue unless the seller is touting that as a reason to ask what he is asking, make sense?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

SliverPicker

Makes sense.  The fact that the machine is a whole decade older than what it was sold as has me a bit concerned.  Parts availability is a big deal when your machine gets to be 40 years old. 
Yooper by trade.

Corley5

There's probably not much difference between a 1975 and 1985 C5  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

mad murdock

Yeah parts availability will be very similar things didn't change a lot until they started putting a lot of electronics on machinery in the early 90s and beyond. The older tree farmers have always been component machines. Parts availability is pretty easy
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

SliverPicker

Quote from: Corley5 on February 12, 2014, 03:52:15 PM
There's probably not much difference between a 1975 and 1985 C5  :)

No difference except for 10 years of wear and tear.  I hear ya.  Parts seem to be about the same.
Yooper by trade.

rockwall

So what is the condition of the machine?

David-L

Do you have  a bill of sale that says 1985. if you do I think you could negotiate no matter the condition good or bad. Just MO.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

loggah

I,m thinking the older machine will have a Cotta transfer case which is next to impossible to get parts for, also if  he cant get the year right i would wonder what else wasn't quite right !!!!! It would be a deal breaker for me big time !!!!! Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Decked

I bought a brand new out of the box 540D in Nov. '86. Nowhere on any document was the year listed, everything went by the serial number ???

SliverPicker

Quote from: David-L on February 12, 2014, 05:37:07 PM
Do you have  a bill of sale that says 1985. if you do I think you could negotiate no matter the condition good or bad. Just MO.

David l

Bill of sale says 1985.  John at Davco checked the serial number on the engine.  The 5 cylinder Deutz came off of the assembly line on October 1st 1976.  The transmission in the machine is a New Process 4590.  Davco says mid-70's.  Cotta transfer case model 1610 with P101363-4 PTO.
Yooper by trade.

loggah

I know even 10 years ago getting those Cotta transfer case parts was a P.I.T.A. !!!
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

David-L

these used machines can make your wallet soar quick. did you ask the seller yet why the machine was misrepresented if it was a sight unseen buy except looking at it on the internet. 10 years is alot in my book even if it's in good condition. follow it out, see what he says.

David l

SliverPicker

I haven't talked to the seller yet.  I just got the year of the engine yesterday at noon.  I am sure the seller truly thought he was selling a 1985, but I'm not sure what information he was using to determine the year.

I hope transfer case parts aren't too difficult to get.  I think it needs a shift fork for L/H.

I am going to call the seller tomorrow morning. 
Yooper by trade.

mad murdock

P/Loggah, are there other 2 speed gear boxes that can be mated up to the drive train? or is that more of a pain?

loggah

The newer tree farmers like i had ,1986 C6 had a different transfer case all together i believe can -car ,not really sure i never had to replace anything in it,welded steel case. The problem with the transfer cases in tree farmers  is they are not only high-low range,they also have reverse in them, and the winch drive. Don

Reddog

So the motor is a 1977. Most likely didn't make it to TF until late 77 or early 78.
Then how long until it was used in production?
The late 70's early 80's was a very lean time in midwest logging.
Good chance it sat on a dealers lot for a few years.
Grapples were not used in that area much before the mid to late 80's.

I would say if the machine is tight and runs good, count you blessings on a long distance purchase of a logging antique.

HiTech

I bought a skidder from the Internet. Was told it had a bad motor. Got it trucked home and the motor was good. I did find a few things wrong. Had to replace one front spindle and bearings/seals. Found the front differential was the non locking type. Put a locker in. Later found out that they put non locking front differentials in at the factory, for what reason I don't know. lol Cut the original roll cage off and built a good one. I was just happy the machine was tight and I don't think it saw much if any hard use. I did have to build a skid plate for the front and back pumpkins. I do not know why these machines don't come with them. I couldn't imagine bouncing over rocks without one. Ya it is rocky here. When you take a chance of buying without actually looking at a machine other than internet pictures you count your blessings when just small things are wrong. That skidder will last me the rest of my life and probably someone else's if they take care of it.

MEloggah

Was this skidder the grapple on eBay? It had my attention but I didn't like the c5 grapple myself. It limited the skidder to small hitches with those small sorting grapples. With the majority of the wood I cut being 24" butts or bigger I want more then two trees behind me each hitch. I like to use those duetz engines for what they were built for. PULLIN!

SliverPicker

Yeah it was on ebay.  The grapple was added years after the skidder was built.  At the elevation this thing will be used that sorting grapple will probably be plenty big.  You lose 3.5% horsepower for every 1000 feet above sea level.  You lose 3.5% if the engine is tuned perfectly.  If not you lose more.  I will be using the skidder between 8000 and 10,000 feet elevation.

Loggah is correct about the tranfer case having F/R, L/H and a PTO for the winch.  Its a Cotta 1610.

I talked to the seller yesterday.  No consensus was reached.  I am going to collect more info. and call him back next week.
Yooper by trade.

MEloggah

I think you will be surprised what those duetz will pull. Granted I'm at sea level but the smallest one we had was a 4cyl duetz and I would fill all 7 sliders with 20-30" tree length white pine, winch up, put her in 2nd and march away. One I got onto somewhat flat ground I could grab 3rd and continue on my way. Our 5cyl TFers would pull even that much harder. You'll be happy.

David-L

Also not bad on fuel, the 353 in the TJ 225D is better on fuel but wont pull as much wood as my 225A TJ with a 5L912 Duetz did.. Kinda miss it.

David l

SliverPicker

I've got a gear or shift fork to change in the transfer case, if I can get the parts, and a bunch of oil seals to do in the axles and transmission and transfer case.  Since I am going to have to pull the TC to get to the gear/fork I am going to put all new bearings in the case (Davco recommendation). The motor flat out purrs.  I have literally not heard a single bad word about the Duetz engines.   The hydraulics are strong and quick to react.  Blade cylinders both need to be repacked.  I haven't pulled any wood with this Tree Farmer yet, but I have plowed a few tons of snow.

The tires are round and hold air.  Lots of cuts.  Some cuts in the sidewalls up to 18" long, but no bulges.  18.4 X 34.  I got a quote yesterday for $1890 for Firestones installed, tubes extra.  I hope the tires on the machine last long enough to earn enough dough for a new set.

Is anyone familiar with the New Process 4590 transmission?  Loggah?  I've been told the main shaft can be a weak point.
Center pins need bushings.  No line boring needed thankfully.  Cradle bushings seem a little loose, but not very bad.

Spent 6 hours yesterday power washing off 38 years worth of crud.  There won't be any dust from that spot in the driveway when summer comes.

Yooper by trade.

rockwall

Looks like you got a good one! Your tires will probably last a long, long time.

David-L

looks straight, once the bugs are out of it you will be happy for sure. Thing is they don't make these small machines anymore and  that gives cause to fix it up cause they hold there value.

David l

barbender

Chain her up, those tires will be just fine. A small grapple machine like that is a rare find for sure, like David said. I would much prefer the Duetz engine over a screaming Detroit, I haven't ran one in a skidder but my experience with them in other equipment is that they are trouble free fuel misers.
Too many irons in the fire

loggah

I never had any problems with the transmission ,clutch, or basically any driveline problems with my C6 i had. I did loose one front planetary ,but i was pushing a root, rock rake while that happened. I do know Tree Farmer said basically not to winch in low gear, im not sure if that created a transmission problem ,or a winch driveline problem. ;D Two things you should make sure work, the light switch that signals when your fan belt breaks, activated by a spring loaded idler pulley. The other one is the light that tells you the brake micro lock is on. A friend of mine who had  C6 and C7 tree farmer Skidders ,had two front shafts out of the transfer case broken because operators tried to take off with the disc parking brake on,twist the shaft right off !!!!! Don

MEloggah

David that's a Beaty of a tj!

X2 on the tires. I've run far worse for far longer. Tight chains and go for it. We had a flat on the 640 wed. Broke down the sidewall right on the landing with the winch cable, three ratchet straps from the outside of the chain and had the old tube out, new one in and full of air in less then an hr. Those little 18.4/34s seem like a cake walk after wrestling around with 24.5/32s lol ever want to sell that TF lemme know!

Stephen Alford

Hey Loggah, when you say "not to winch in low gear" are you referring to the Can-ar or cotta transfer case ? or was the issue with a particular type of winch ? Thank-you for taking the time to share your knowledge and experiences. 
   If its any help I have had the transfer case out before. The easiest way for me working alone was to cut a circular hole in the roof using a plumb line then lowered  a chain through. Once it was lifted put a piece of plywood under it ,then danced it out the door. Put a gromit with some caulking when done. Truth be known there is a hole over the transmission as well.   :D  A friend of mine priced up a used awasso (tf42),3000 hours, perkins engine.....38000.00$   :-\   
logon

mad murdock

Nice TF for sure!! And deutz power to boot even better 8) I hope it works well for you. Should be a sweet machine.

sandersen

Unfortunately there's an old saying in the law called "caveat emptor"  or... in english... "let buyer beware."  In other words, buyers purchase at their own risk.  But I hope it works out for you.
"Make every step count."

SliverPicker

I have a friend who is a long time cop.  He used to be a fraud investigator.  He says the law is on my side here.  It is the responsibility of the seller to accurately represent what it is he is selling.  That said I don't for one minute think the seller intentionally misstated the year of this skidder.  My only contention here is that when I was hunting for a machine I was dead set against getting a skidder that was older than a 1985.  If I had know it was a '76 or '77 I would not even have considered it.  Now I own it and I paid several $1000 too much.  I was dead set against anything older than an '85 because of potential issues concerning parts availability.

Loggah, thanks.  I will check both of those lights. The light for the micro lock is gone.  I might have to rig up a new one.  I've already taken off twice with the brake on.  It's a drum brake and it's out of adjustment so my drive shaft is still intact. ::)
Yooper by trade.

MEloggah

The  "year"  wouldn't scare me one bit on those tree farmers until you get down around 72ish. You cut a hole in the roof?!! :) a chain through the doors and across the canopy is how we have always done it. Too bad to butcher her all up.

sandersen

I think you hit on the key issue when you said the seller did not intend to deceive but truly didn't know himself...no intention means no fraud because that is what you  would have to prove for fraud.  The skidder itself looks real nice though.  The best bet might be to reason with him for a partial refund and appeal to his common decency...rather than talking about the law and fraud etc...which might put him on the defensive...kill him with kindness and let's hope he's a fair fella.  I just bought an old timberjack  and the seller said "he thought" it was a 1969 or 1970...turns out it was a 1966 230C.  Best of luck   
"Make every step count."

barbender

I honestly think you should have ran the serial #'s before you bought it, I don't know how much you paid but whether it is an '85 or '75 the price is usually dependent completely on condition with equipment that old.

Stephen Alford

MEloggah, I do not consider a 1& 1/2''dia hole cut with a hole saw "butcherin"  . I use an  overhead electric crane to manipulate  the removal.

logon

MEloggah

I pictured this being done on the landing since that's where I would have fixed it.  Ain't worth the trucking fees both ways to me. Figured it was done with cutting torches. Either way I still wouldn't have cut a hole in my canopy. IDE def patch that hole for sure though! After a rain or snow the last thing IDE want is nasty black water down my neck lol

loggah

The not winching in first gear was in a C6 with a 5 speed transmission, your c5 only has a 4 speed i believe ,so shouldn't be a problem. The drum brake will probably slip under power so your driveline may be safe. I know the disc breaks will twist the shaft!! :o I helped paul pull out his transfer case a few times and we just slung a chain over the cab ,and took it out with a chain hoist.

Reddog

Quote from: barbender on February 16, 2014, 12:43:53 PM
I honestly think you should have ran the serial #'s before you bought it, I don't know how much you paid but whether it is an '85 or '75 the price is usually dependent completely on condition with equipment that old.

Yup! 

tlandrum

if the skidder was mis represented on ebay then you have grounds for a full refund.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

MEloggah

You really should get your money back and hand him back the keys. That way I can buy it from him.

SliverPicker

Quote from: MEloggah on February 16, 2014, 07:06:31 PM
You really should get your money back and hand him back the keys. That way I can buy it from him.

:snowball: :D
Yooper by trade.

SliverPicker

I'm not accusing anyone of fraud.  I think words were put I'm my mouth there.

There is a 1977 TF for sale three hours from where I bought this one.  No grapple, but good tires.  353 and different axles.  It is listed for $6000 less than what I paid for a 1976.
Yooper by trade.

mad murdock

Quote from: SliverPicker on February 17, 2014, 10:56:14 AM
I'm not accusing anyone of fraud.  I think words were put I'm my mouth there.

There is a 1977 TF for sale three hours from where I bought this one.  No grapple, but good tires.  353 and different axles.  It is listed for $6000 less than what I paid for a 1976.
Not really a apples to apples comparison, IMO, the grapple on yours is worth a fair bit more than the straight cable machine.  Unless of course the grapple and associated hydraulics were in a serious state of disrepair.

MEloggah

Not to mention the duetz!!

SliverPicker

Don't you think the tires are worth more than the grapple?  I've found a few (4) Escos for sale complete for $2500-3000.  50% tires are worth more than that.  No?  Of course there's the Duetz to consider too.

Anyway, I am waiting on Cotta to tell me the year of the transfer case then I will call the seller again.
Yooper by trade.

Reddog

You do realize back in that time frame there was no "Just in time Deliveries" in manufacturing.

Stuff sat in inventory or transit for years until it was used up. So any build date you find for the sub parts are just that for the parts not the machine.

Also equipment doesn't have titles. So if referencing a year it is the year it was sold, not built.

You would need to find a Dealer record of when the machine was sold new.

SliverPicker

I understand what you are saying, but the components are 9 years older than what they where sold as.  The machine certainly didn't sit in a dealer's lot for 9 years before being sold.  9 years in the life of a skidder can be a lot of years.

Besides just-in-time manufacturing existed back then as well.  Time always has been money.  I couldn't tell you if j-i-t was used with Tree Farmer skidders.  Maybe not.
Yooper by trade.

SliverPicker

I just got an email from Cotta.  The transfer case was manufactured in January of 1974.
Yooper by trade.

Reddog

Well are you ready for when the seller tells you to return the skidder?

SliverPicker

It'll only cost him $3100 to ship it back.
Yooper by trade.

loggah

I know if that guy that owned it before ever broke a part, or any of the driveline he knew what year the machine was just to replace the part. not sure on the older tree farmers but my 86  the first 2 numbers of the serial number were the year, and its stamped on the frame in the pivot area.

Reddog

Quote from: SliverPicker on February 18, 2014, 10:25:04 AM
It'll only cost him $3100 to ship it back.

If you have paid in full then no, you would need to return it at your cost for the refund.

If he is the lean holder on it then yes, he would need to start repossession filings to recover it. In which case he would need to cover those costs.

MEloggah

Silver, why in the heck wouldn't you want that machine? The year don't mean squat. Quite whining and go cut wood!

An no, those tires wouldn't be worth much to me. I would run tires chisled out of granite before I ever run an 18.4/34 ever again.

1270d

i must have missed the whining part

SliverPicker

I never said I didn't want the skidder.  I don't agree that the year doesn't mean anything.  There's 9 years of wear and tear that I didn't know about when I bought it.  This skidder has a finite life and I paid for 9 years worth that I'm not going to get.  This thing is going to be my sole source of income.  If I had know it was a 1976/77 I never would have bought it.  I'll keep it and run the wheels off of it, but I want a little refund since it is 9 years older than what the seller told me it was.

As far as hauling some wood; I will as soon as the snow melts.  Depending on elevation there is 4'-16' on the ground right now. 

I didn't think I was whining.  I just posted my dilemma here to get some different perspectives.  I'm glad I did.  I've learned something from every comment.

8)

Yooper by trade.

mad murdock

Well SP, despite the let down, i do hope it works out well for you. Those deutz powered TF's really are sweet machines, and with a grapple and winch, that is one sweet setup, worth keeping around IMO, best of luck to you. Can't wait to see some action shots of it working!!

Jeff

Lets just hope your wife or girl friend hasn't slipped up on her age. This is a true story.   I should probably have gotten some sort of rebate out of my mom.. Turns out, that when the recorder of such records came around in the late 1920's to get caught up on the birthins, some how they goofed up my mom's and my aunt's birthdates.  Mom found out in her 50's she was actually a year older than what the records recorded.  We were deceived!   Seems it was quite common for such mistakes to be made when people were just living their life and doing the best they could do, until someone came around and demanded they put to record the things that some times we just don't find the need to commit to memory.    Seems like you got a decent machine and being older to those of us that have been around that stuff all of our lives is not a bad thing at all.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

timberlinetree

Sometimes you just have to be happy with what you have.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

David-L

Looks like a straight machine, Fix the issues and run it. I beleive that the quality of steel and castings and componentry goes downhill every year. look at it that way and you have won. Old well built iron waiting to be revived.
Jeff, My mother who still calls me all the time has been 85 for the last five years and she wont' take any other answer.
                                                   David l

Dave Shepard

My great-grandfather was recorded as a girl on his birth certificate. :D

I guess you can be upset that it wasn't the year you thought it was. Return it for a full refund if you aren't happy about it.

Just because some thing is a certain year, doesn't mean it has that many hours of wear and tear. It's the hours that count. Also, 1,000 hours from a bad operator is like 4,000 from a good one. I have a 1968 International Loadstar 1800 with 6,200 miles on it. I think it's worn 6,200 miles, not 200,000 just because it's 46 years old.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SliverPicker

The drama factor here is actually quite low.  It may not sound that way when reading it here.

I'm keeping the machine.  The reason I originally posted this saga was to see from some of you guys with the stiff whiskers if the extra years are that big of a deal or not.  The consensus seems to be that its not that much of a concern.  I'm still mostly undecided on that.  I have reservations about parts availability going forward, but at this point it is what it is.

Thanks for all the input.  There's a ton of knowledge lurking behind these keyboards.

It looks like I may have a skid-only job starting this spring.  I should be able to pay this machine off in just a few months if things go well.
Yooper by trade.

barbender

SliverPicker, I can understand you being a bit miffed over this, but I think the bottom line is you got a solid machine that should serve you well. Those skidders didn't change much in those 10 years (obviously, or you would have known the year just looking at it). As others stated, 10 years of age doesn't necessarily mean 10 years of wear and tear, and I'll state again once machinery gets past a certain age value is entirely dependant on condition, not model year. My main concern would be the Cotta transfer case, but now in the age of the web, it may be easier to get parts for than it was 10 years ago. I've given my .02 twice now so that makes .04 :)

jwilly3879

Fellow I worked with in the 90's had a 1976 TF with 5 cylinder Deutz and 18.4x34's on it. Plate on machine said don't winch in 1st gear. The only problems he had was keeping planetaries in it. If they weren't breaking they were being stolen on the landing. That machine is still running and pulling wood.

SliverPicker

This one says not to winch in first gear also.
Yooper by trade.

rockwall

I like your attitude, "it is what it is."  or lately mine is " It will all work out."

SliverPicker

Quote from: jwilly3879 on February 20, 2014, 01:25:58 PM
Fellow I worked with in the 90's had a 1976 TF with 5 cylinder Deutz and 18.4x34's on it. Plate on machine said don't winch in 1st gear. The only problems he had was keeping planetaries in it. If they weren't breaking they were being stolen on the landing. That machine is still running and pulling wood.

Do you know which axles it had?
Yooper by trade.

Stephen Alford

Hey Silverpicker,is the "do not winch in first gear" posted on the transmission,transfer case or winch  ? I know you said you had the cotta 1610.  Wanted to mention that the reason the transfer case was taken out was to repair the brakes.  Working below the machine has always been a safety issue for me.

logon

barbender

I just modified my last post, where I wrote "skidders" my phone's auto spell changed it to "snuffers" ::) Just in case anyone was wondering what in the world I was talking about :)

rockwall

I like snuffers, I think I'll start calling skidders- snuffers! Hey is that a 230 or 240 snuffer? I have to get a new filter for my snuffer.

jwilly3879

I believe the axles said can-car on them but it was a long time ago. Hard to believe someone would steal them but they did leave the axle shafts. The last time we worked on them I stamped index marks on the covers and hubs and we did find the pieces but the police said that those marks were not enough to identify the parts so we were screwed. They said if those parts came up missing we would be arrested.

SliverPicker

Quote from: Stephen Alford on February 20, 2014, 08:49:55 PM
   Hey Silverpicker,is the "do not winch in first gear" posted on the transmission,transfer case or winch  ? I know you said you had the cotta 1610.  Wanted to mention that the reason the transfer case was taken out was to repair the brakes.  Working below the machine has always been a safety issue for me.

The " do not winch..." Is on the dashboard near the shifter.  It's a factory decal.

I have Can Car axles on this thing.  They have Rockwell logos cast into the housings.

You were talking about snuffers.  I thought maybe you worked for the mafia.
Yooper by trade.

barbender

I gotta turn that autospell off :D

SliverPicker

Talked to the seller today.  Got 'er dun.  I got a few bucks off and he still sold the skidder for a price befitting its condition.

Now if only this butt-cheek deep snow would run down the cricks and be gone.
Yooper by trade.

barbender

It sounds like it worked out well ;)

SliverPicker

Yooper by trade.

Thank You Sponsors!