iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mounting rear snowblower on front.

Started by Three Maples, December 09, 2014, 01:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North River Energy

Deutz, FTW...
http://youtu.be/zsgvwMYn0N0

The Onan IC series 4cyl gas was not big enough to run this 5ft blower.  Should be 25+hp at rated rpm. Driveline losses and gearing had something to do with it. Will be upgrading to something diesel in the future.
http://youtu.be/bbPjb-Imb04

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Roger2561 on February 10, 2015, 05:51:45 PM
DeerMeadowFarm - From what we've heard it has had a work out with all of the snow you've been getting.  How do you like the pull behind unit?  Due to degenerative disk disease in my neck (very uncomfortable/painful when turning to look back at anything on the 3Pth) I love the front mount Erskine unit.  It'll deposit the snow about 35 feet away.  All of this fluffy stuff flies about 50 feet away.  Roger

I like the pull behind unit very much. For me is was a cheaper alternative to the front mount and I still get to use the bucket. The only time I need to turn around a lot is when I am building our sliding track and I am trying to accurately deposit snow on the side walls of the track.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,81186.0.html

When I have the chute all the way open I can just about hit the wires on the telephone poles with the snow it's throwing. Mostly I keep it one notch down and it'll fling it 50' easy!

Quote from: Piston on February 10, 2015, 07:54:34 PM
I'm also VERY interested to see how it's been working out with all the snow we've been getting.  How much do you find you need to slow down in the heavier storms with deeps snow? 

What is your PTO hp? 

Also, you must have some pictures over the last 16 days of that puppy working! 

I love the idea of the rear pull for the reasons Roger mentioned, not having to kill your neck looking backwards the whole time.  I also like how you can have a compact unit with the option of using the front end loader and snowblower together.

According to Tractor data, the PTO HP is 41. I've really only had to slow down to 3rd gear in low range. It's the whole equation of balancing what you put into it vs. how fast it'll spit it out. I think it could be geared a little higher, but it is what it is. My driveway is 1/3 mile long; I do it in 2 passes down and back up. Around 10 short passes around the barn and driveway. I make a path around the house to the field where I have a stack of logs so I can load my dump truck. Then I spend some (probably way too much) time working on the sliding trail. To clear my driveway and yard takes me an hour. Maybe another 30 to 45 minutes for the path to and around my log pile.

I don't have any pictures, buit I did take a short video the other night, but I'm not sure how to post it here?

beenthere

Put video's on YouTube and then link them to your post.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

DeerMeadowFarm,I have never seen a blower like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DeerMeadowFarm

Holmes

Think like a farmer.

beenthere

Good video... just wasn't long enough  ;D ;D

I gather you use that just on paved drive/road? Any accommodation for gravel, like depth wheels or skids?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

I would guess it has shoes for adjustment. I have mine about an inch high. I than adjust the 3 point to tip it down when I get a coating of packed snow on the driveway. I have it tipped back the first few storms. If we get a warm spell and I lose my snow pack,I tip it back by the 3 point adjudtment. This is on a dirt driveway too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DeerMeadowFarm

It has shoes/skids as well as some square tubing mounted vertical on the back that you can just make out in the rear view picture I posted earlier that I assume you could add some other adjustable height stops? I use it on our paved driveway as well as when I make our sliding trail which is in our hay field.

I'll try to make a longer video next time it snows...  ;)

Joe Hillmann

If you are looking for a cheap and easy way to mount it I've seen set ups like this on up to 45 hp tractors. http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/uploads/1579/chain_drive_reverser.JPG

The one in the picture is mounted on a CA so only 20-25 hp if you were to do something similar you may need heavier chain or two chains. 

It would be a lot cheaper than setting it to run off of hydraulics, and more likely to work on the first try.  I would recommend some shielding on it though.

Thank You Sponsors!