iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

24 years..........

Started by boman1, April 16, 2009, 07:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boman1

....after 24 years working for the same company.They came in my office and said it was time for a change. I worked as a service manager for an automotive dealership. I actually was the only manager in the dealership that was hitting the forecasted numbers. No loyalty to great employees anymore! Anyway......I purchased a Woodmizer LT40 Super mill and edger about 2 months ago and set them up at my brother and dads circle mill cutting specialty timbers and ties. I had two guys hired to run them, ......to make a long story short I have been working it myself for the last couple of weeks.Its great to get to work with my dad and brother every day. We(my family) have tightened our spending and I think we can actually make a full time living with the little mill. I havent been this stress free in a number of years. I will keep you updated as we go. My brother and I went on trip today to pick up new customers. It seems like we are beginning to see a little bit of life in the SE Texas area. I pray we all are going to get more business...........

bck

Good luck bowman. The view out the office window should look better at the sawmill.  8)

EZ

A real good friend of mine went threw the same thing and was doing the same as you. 23 yrs as a manager in a dealership.
Started teaching school and just loves it.
Good luck with your new life and enjoy.

EZ

Chuck White

Welcome to the forums boman1.

You'll do just fine. 
If you ever have questions or suggestions, you can come here.
Lots of info and good people here.

Take care
Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MaddiesDad

I was just down in Houston TX earlier this month.  LOVE that area, around Livingston, etc.  It's really starting to pick up around there.  The chip market isn't but the lumber market is.

Tom

I understand the stress relief and time with family.  It's a win/win solution.

We're here only once and corporate America can bind you down to the point that you forget how to live.  You're right about the loyalty, it's one way.   So, now that you've broken away, the sun will begin to shine again.

It sounds like an interesting niche you have at the mill.  Get the camera out.  :)

ErikC

I guess if that's how things are, your better off without them anyway. If things go well for you with the mill that's great too. Dad runs my mill with me a lot of the time and we have a pretty good time at it. When we sit there looking at that log deck turning into a lumber pile at lunch he says  "beats working for a living anyway"   :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

boman1

Thanks for all the kind words. Maddiesdad...we are located in Moscow TX about 15 miles from Livingston.The chip market is down right now and the lumber does seem to be picking up a little bit.
I can honestly say I havent worked so hard in a long long time......lol. I am loving every minute of it!I will post some pics hopefully next week. I have been sawing a couple of days then edging the lumber......I have a stack to edge 25 yards wide and 6 feet high. The view outside the office window IS so much better!

Thank You Sponsors!