iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Over the years

Started by Den Socling, September 01, 2016, 10:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

I'm reviewing some past schedules. I want to write a perfect schedule for a customer who will be custom drying 16/4 Sinker Cypress. Looking through old schedules I have found some interesting notes. For example, I've dried White Pine and Poplar together with no problem. I've dried pine in 36 hours to under 10%. But here is one you may be interested in. I found a wet spot in 10/4 Black Walnut. My Wagner read 9.8% and my Delmhorst read 5.1% in the very same spot. For me, it's hard anymore to get excited about a wet spot. Cypress is a strange one. I found a note where one board read 11% and right next to that spot it read 27%!

Magicman

Sinker Cypress is subject to much more than the "normal" growth moisture.  There is absorbed moisture that enters through shake, limb rot as well as decayed portions.  I would expect your readings.

Has it air dried for a couple of years?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Den Socling

No. We always get it freshly cut from a company in Florida. I believe I read one time that the sinker Cypress was bacterially infected which made the MC very high and that made them sink.

Magicman

I have sawed much Sinker Cypress and probably all of it exhibited some of the symptoms that I described above.  I have had water to run out of logs that had been extracted for several years.  I do not see how you could have avoided air drying.  Sinker Cypress
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Den Socling

Yes, you are right. I just meant that they saw, dead pack and ship it to us.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Bacteria do indeed cause these water pockets in cypress.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Den Socling

Finally got another load of this stuff behind me. It was 12,500 bf of 16/4 Sunken Cypress.

Correction: 12,500 pounds not bf.

Den Socling

And the truck driver was a Russian who said he was driving non-stop to Florida and then non-stop back up to Syracuse. Sure doesn't sound safe to me. He barely knew any English. When I asked him for the BOL, his reply was "sheeper, sheeper!"  ::)

Thank You Sponsors!