iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rear chain keep falling off my skidder

Started by ford62783, March 30, 2010, 06:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ford62783

ok frustration has set in totally now since i got my 240e in jan i have had trouble with my tire chain wanting to walk off around my axel i thought easy they cut it crooked wrong put it on 4 hitches later off ok not tight enough tighten it down good 6 hitches later off ok not tight enough still as tight as it could get 6 hitches tire is off a few encourageing words toward the chain to scare it on still off >:( figure ill fix this by cutting a hole in the rim and running a chain threw haha no low pro 23.1x26 no room for the hole

so my question is how can i keep it on the tire is wore but not that wore and they are single diamond chains ive tried everythin i know to keep it on and im gonna need it at the next job i ran without it all winter but made it a pain on slipery snow does anyone have, had or know a answer for this problem and i hope jeff is proud i didnt even post what i yelled this time lol
timberjack 240e

Jamie_C

Maybe a dumb question but are they the right size chains for your tires ?

When you tighten your chains make sure that the links around the outside and inside side chains are equal when you join them otherwise your chains will have a tendancy to roll off of one side of the tire. Another trick to getting your chains really tight is to get the wheel you are putting the chains on off of the ground, this will allow you to pull all of the slack from the chains.

Are you using a chain tightener or just yanking on them by hand ?

Bobus2003

I dunno if its a necessity or not, but i had got a few Turn-Buckles and i put one on the Backside of the tire goin as close to straight across the rim as possible without iterferance of the axle. Then i do the same on the out side.. It works great to keep the chains on.. I use a Fence stretcher as a chain tightener

DirtForester

If they are too big for your worn tire, you may need to cut out a section so they can be properly tightened.
If it's a good tree, grow it!
www.smithandwessonforums.com

Sawyerfortyish

There is a tightner that is used to get em real tight. You hook it in a link at each end of the chain and use an air inpact wrench to suck up the slack. Also jack up the tire off the ground and let all the air out of it before you tighten. The best way I can describe the tightner is that it looks like an old bumper jack that you would turn by hand to raise the car only in reverse. I see them all the time on ebay for sale

Sawyerfortyish

Do a search on ebay for Item #12252120 this is what I use to tighten my skidder chains

Mark K

I have a similar tool that I built to tighten my chains. I found that my pic chains have to be kept tight or they will walk off. I haven't had much trouble with my fronts but there bear paws and I keep them tight.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Black_Bear

They may have recently cut it, as DirtForester alluded to, but they may not have evened up the inner and outer chain properly. Make sure you have the same number of side chains (inside vs. outside) and same number of links on the outer and inner circle of links.

Tighten that baby down so it makes the rubber groan. 

quietrangr

When I had a pole skidder, I had the same problem, especially with worn tires, and ice chains. I drilled four holes through the wheel, then put a short length of chain up to the tire chain on both sides, put a half inch bolt through the hole, and attached each short chain to the bolt, one on the bolt head side and one on the nut side.

TessiersFarm

I let all the air out of my tractor tires and put the chains on then fill the air back up, helps tighten the whole thing a little better, if they are loaded make sure the valve stem is up.
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

bushmechanic

We had a C5D Tree Farmer forwarder with flotation tires on it and the chain would constantly twist sideways on the tire and the sidewall of the chain would be constantly rubbing on the axle.I got sick of fixing the chains only to have them go right back where they shouldn't be.My solution was that I got four chain links and welded them at ninety degree increments on the bead of the rim,then when I installed the chain I used four shackles and locked the sidewall of the chain to the rim,no more problems with the chain moving on the tire.I did the four links on both sides of the rim,worked for me.I would get a picture but we have since sold that machine,and there may be a picture in my photos,not sure.

Thank You Sponsors!