iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

making preservative rods

Started by sawdust, September 03, 2007, 12:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawdust

Any one ever try making their own "glass" boron rods? I thought I might try, mix boric acid, borax and copper sulphate together and see I could get them to melt. Cast them into a rod.

any thoughts?

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Don P

I've thought of making paste, I wouldn't want to make it harder to dissolve  ???.

sawdust

good idea, I bet that glycerine would be a good base. Or maybe RV antifreeze.

sd

thecfarm

What are these used for?This is why I don't come on this thread much.I could ask ALOT of questions.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don P

There are crystalline borate rods and pellets that can be inserted in holes drilled in logs or posts or  ??? and then plugged or caulked over. If the moisture content of the wood goes above about 25% they dissolve and diffuse into the wet wood. They are usually used in exposed log ends that are in trouble in a house. I've used them in the logs where I knew the outdoor AC unit would probably splash, in exposed untreated log posts when I couldn't talk the homeowner into ugly green posts, etc. I was saying to sawdust that I think you would be just as good whipping up a paste as trying to make a rod that might not dissolve right later. Could probably pack a hole with powder for that matter. I did see one experiment where they had glass jars full of borate solution with tubes into holes in posts. It might make for some different decor though  ;D.

Dale Hatfield

Don where can these be bought or can i get a monster mix of my own?
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Don P

The latest flavor is "Cobra Rods" I haven't used them, I've used the older Impel rods several times.
http://loghelp.com/restor.html#pguard

Remember they don't begin to melt and diffuse in the wood until the wood they are surrounded by hits fiber saturation point, around 25%. Decay fungi can be present in a wetted surface and many can survive at lower mc's than that. In other words these are a backup plan IMO.

sawdust

Cobra Rods are made by a company called Genics here in Alberta. They also make other products like pole wraps and are developing a crushed product that is being mixed into OSB before it is pressed.

http://genicsinc.com/pdf/Genics_Utility_Pole_Products_CDN_Jan.07.pdf

I finally got all then ingredients to try makin my own version, just havent got around to it yet.
sawdust

Dale Hatfield

Sawdust
I think i would like to have a wet solution to paint on the bottom of my outside carvings. As well as some to place inside the bases.
But it seams that i would want the binder on the rods to disolve before 20 % moisture.
I think that having this disolve before high moisture became a problem would be the answer.
But im clueless really.
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

woodbowl

Quote from: sawdust on September 03, 2007, 12:36:52 PM

Any one ever try making their own "glass" boron rods? I thought I might try, mix boric acid, borax and copper sulphate together and see I could get them to melt. Cast them into a rod.

No, but I mixed solubor in a bucket 1lb/1 gal and didn't get around to spraying the last half bucket and it evaporated. It collected in the bottem and got so hard it busted the bucket. I'll try to get a pic.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

sawdust

There is a recipie somewhere here for making it with antifreeze as the carrier. I have it have to look for it

Thank You Sponsors!