iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winter is coming......you can bet on it!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, August 30, 2011, 06:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Got caught up on my White Oak sawing today. Got another trailer load coming tomorrow. Sooooo.....decided to cut firewood on the LT40.
It was 92 degrees today but at least I was in the shade sawing firewood.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ARKANSAWYER

I once had a portable sawing job and the guy had about a dozen logs when I showed up.  He wanted them cut in half then cut in half again.  After I sawed the first one he started chopping them into 16" pieces.  When I finished the next log I asked him why he was having me saw these if he was just making firewood.  He looked up and asked "Have  you ever split elm"?  I sawed up the rest.
ARKANSAWYER

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hey Ark, I have never split ELM, but I'm assuming it must be like sweet gum! Good story about the Elm. :D

forestry mick

The most perfect firewood ever! split on a sawmill! 8)

red oaks lumber

ya buddy come up here this winter then you'll know what winter is ;D you'll need to put that mizer in overdrive to keep up with the guy throwing wood in the stove :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Now that IS funny Red Oak! smiley_clapping

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GeneH

I've thought about doin' that, and I believe I will. Think it'll hurt to burn through with some blades with missing teeth?

Coon

Don't saw spruce or aspen green for firewood as it seems to take double the time to dry.  Spruce is alot worse to deal with than the aspen.  We tried this on a circular mill ONCE and will never do it again.  It seems as if it closed the pours of the wood so the moisture couldnt escape.  Have heard about this a coouple of time besides it happening to us.   ??? 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Jemclimber

Hey Coon,  was it stacked or piled?  I could see if it was stacked it would probably fit tight unlike split wood, but if it was piled it shouldn't matter.  I and a few of my friends around here burn some soft wood (conifers), but most people around here through it out because "You can't burn pine (pine-what most homeowners call all conifers) it will cause creosote in an instant and burn your house down". I sometimes try to explain wet wood is the cause, but usually in vain.  It doesn't last very long in the stove but starts easily and is great when it's not to cold out and you just want a small fire to take the chill out and not cook you out of the house.
lt15

Coon

We sawed the logs into about quarters and such when the logs were green, then bucked with the chainsaws and piled to dry as if we had split it just like firewood.  There was plenty of air space between the pieces in the pile and it was piled where there was sufficient airflow.   ???
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

ARKANSAWYER

You can lose a good wedge in Elm and never get it back.  Gum and syckamore is others that are hard to split.
  In the fall and spring I burn ERC to heat the stove up and the house but not keep coals all day long.  At 50 degrees we need just to put the chill out but when it warms up during the day we do not want the house hot.  ERC burns hot and fast and does not make coals.
ARKANSAWYER

SwampDonkey

There is nicer firewood to be made from other species easier to deal with than elm, and produce a lot more btu's.  All I recall doing with it was letting it fall down and turn to soil. It rots very quick on the ground in the woods. :D 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jemclimber

Elm is tough to split, but when I was much younger, you know like last week :D, I had this disease that would not let me leave ANY valuable wood behind. Three to four years burning supply might be enough to take the pressure off of having enough firewood around.  And even then I could sell everything else so I couldn't just leave money laying on the ground to rot. Now that I have an easy to use bandmill every tree looks like valuable boards just waiting to be made so I guess the disease is growing.  :)
lt15

SwampDonkey

When there is no market for it, it has no value. Sawed, split or whatever, you won't sell much elm around here.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

shelbycharger400

i have a bunch of elm i saved from splittin ... for flooring :)

its kinda odd... you go to menards, home depot..ect... they have pine, oak, walnut, and maple,  but no red elm .  very few places have ash either.

SwampDonkey

Only place I can get ash is at the flooring plant or someone sawing with a portable. The hardwood mills here saw maple and birch and some beech. The beech would be mainly ties. And it's funny, they took out all the railway in this county years ago, used to be a spur line within 5 miles of here 25 years ago. Walking trails? Heck who's walking? They have been over taken by ATV and dirt bikes. ;)

Jemclimber

Lots of people here have fireplaces and the only wood most won't burn is conifers, or pine as everyone that doesn't know calls all conifers. Mix in elm with everything else and call it hardwood.  The only wood that gets separated to be sold for more money is cherry. Probably because it looks and smells nice sitting next to the fireplace and very seldom actually gets burned.
lt15

zopi

Nothing wrong with burning pine....just have to take care of the flues....folks around here fuss at me about it...I tell em I come from out west, where sometimes that is all the firewood you can get.....
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

SwampDonkey

Prefer hardwood here to burn. Just cleaned the shop stove pipes and there wasn't anything more than a palm full of soot in 4 feet of pipe and maybe enough to fill the bottom of the pale from the 24 foot flu.  :) Only burn 1.5 cords in there all winter, small space to heat and insulated well. Never freezes in the shop.

Thank You Sponsors!