iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for band saw mill plane

Started by alsayyed, February 08, 2008, 08:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

I hear and I browse through the you tube site many woodworkers have built thiere own band saw mill. And I can see that is working good.
I have searched and could not find any plane on how to construct and build band sam mill.
Dose anybody could direct me to proper site that they sell plane so I could build my own band mill it is cheaper I heard.

Fla._Deadheader

Most difficult part is thinking ahead.

We built a larger style Wood Mizer. We have enough mechanical experience to accomplish this.

A simple manual mill, would be very easy.  NOT to sway your plans, but, I still think a Swing Mill on angle tracks would be best for your very hard logs.

Principal is simple. Engine, right angle gearbox, and extension shaft with hub for the blade. Carriage is the same as a manual bandmill. Just build in PLENTY of adjustment.

A bandmill CAN give you fits getting-keeping the band lined up.

A swing blade is easier to line up, and won't jump off the wheels.

That said, The Bill Rake design is popular, and the Linn Lumber design is popular. Linn sells parts and plans. Linn-lumber.com I think is the website.

Ebay.com offers plans, BUT, BE CAREFUL buying there.

Good luck, and ask plenty of questions. Mistakes are expensive.  ;D :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

alsayyed

thank you for your reply. i will thing of the swing mill plane. I do not like ebay and do not shop of ebay. i would rather shop straight with honest venders.
engine i can find here plenty.

Fla._Deadheader

I don't know of any Swing Mill plans.  I never use plans, anyway.  ::) ;D :D :D

Here's a photo of some parts I started building a Swinger with, then sold, when I moved down here.

Blades and sharpener would be the big cost, besides engine and gearbox.

There is plenty of info available on the FF to get you building, no matter which way you decide to go.  8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

jrokusek

In addition to this forum, you may want to check out http://www.diybandmill.com/.  That forum is dedicated to just homebuilt mills.  Not nearly as active as this forum, however.  Lots of homebuilt pictures to look at!

Thank You Sponsors!