iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

just wondering what brand saw everyone uses

Started by 567paloggger, August 07, 2009, 10:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

567paloggger

hey guys just was wondering what saws everyone was using and how much are they cutting with it a year i personally use huskys

tyb525

Not sure if this is the best thread topic ::) To each his own, mine are in my signature
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

MOwoodchopper

Nothing wrong with the topic!

I run dolmar , husky, stihl in that order.

I use them a lot! Sharpen all my own chains and fix my own saws and everyone else's who stop by.
Also cut wood for customers and who ever else needs help. And my father in law, brother in law, and other brother in law and myself heat with wood only!
STIHL 084
STIHL 026 X2
STIHL 015
HUSQVARNA 372XP
DOLKITA 7900
DOLMAR 6800
DOLMAR 5105

ladylake

Echo, Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, Solo, Cub Cadet (Efco) and they all work good except for the 30cc Stihl and Solo which are real gutless.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

Just pick a brand at random,chances are I have one . :D
That aside most of my cutting is done with mid sized Stihls .On rare occasions I might break out a large McCulloch , Husqvarna or Homelite .

Meadows Miller

Gday

Im a Husky and Jonsered man myself and allways have been mate  ;) ;D 8) 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

madhatte

At work it's all Stihls, because it's easier to maintain a fleet of the same line.  At home I have some variety. 

Husky-Fan

I think my screen name says it all-but Husky for me 8) I cut about 10 cords a year with my 372 and 346(new) ;D

nhlogga

Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

GASoline71

Work saws are Stihl.

But I collect mainly Homelites, McCullochs, Jonsereds... and pretty much anything else that finds it's way to my shop.

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

John Bartley

Well, having been a Stihl dealer it was pretty hard to resist the pricing :D  I have an MS361 and that's it - the whole fleet, but I refuse to burn wood for heat, so it doesn't work too hard.  My first big saw was a Husqy TP480 back in the early '80's, and it cut and cut, and cut, and......it was a good saw. We lived in Northern Ontario and we burned 15 bush cords every year just to stay warm and for cooking - all we had was Poplar, Birch and Spruces.

cheers

john
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Hilltop366

I got a Sachs Dolmar 115 since 1989, I kept it from my Kawasaki / Dolmar shop when I closed in 89, I have changed the starter/flywheel the coil and a carb kit or two, It didn't get used much the first few years now I use it to cut my fire wood (might be 5 cords/year) I don't really keep track and a little for my Dad.
The reason I started selling Dolmars was my brother was using partner 5000 full time (They would last about 10 months with repairs, the other guy he was cutting with was getting the same out of Huskys) Then switched to a Dolmar 113 used it for 2 years and was still running then got a Dolmar 120 used it for a year and a half still working good and quit working in the woods used it for a few more blocking firewood finally the coil quit still had lots of compression.

rebocardo

Stihl for my smaller saws, Husky and Stihls for my larger saws. I do not bother with the off brands (Poulan, Homelite, etc.) any more because of the vibration compared with Sthil and Husky.

567paloggger

i have 3 huskys and a new dolmar i dont really care for that much its ok but was thinking on buying a 361 stihl everyone says there pretty good and i cut wood full time so was thinking on trying one out

maple flats

I have 2 Huskey's, both med size saws. They work good but i did have a recurring problem with a muffler bolt on the smaller one (350). I tried loctite but the heat apparently was too much and it didn't help, the bolt kept coming loose. I had to drill it out and install a locking helicoil. Then i took a 10/32 threaded rod (high grade) and installed it. Now my tightening nuts are on the surface and I have had no further problems. My wood is not carefully measured but between the house, sugarhouse and sawmill trimming they get a good workout. For the sugarhouse alone I cut over 10 FULL cords and then split it wrist sized to burn as fast as possible.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

567paloggger

ive learned many years ago when buying a saw go with a pro model ive done the residential saws and they dont hold up for me

alderman

Most of my saws are branded Shindaiwa.  Not the most popular but they've proven to be pretty reliable.

Cut4fun

Quote from: 567paloggger on August 08, 2009, 10:56:15 PM
i have 3 huskys and a new dolmar i dont really care for that much its ok but was thinking on buying a 361 stihl everyone says there pretty good and i cut wood full time so was thinking on trying one out

Depends on limbing, bucking or the wood to be cut on what brand I grab out of the stable. Not saw biased at all.
Now I just happen to know where a used muffler modded 361 is. Nope not mine, already sent my used one to TX. Since I had a woods ported 357xp and a 365 special too.

John Mc

Quote from: 567paloggger on August 08, 2009, 10:56:15 PM
i have 3 huskys and a new dolmar ...

How does the vibration damping compare on the Huskys vs the Dolmar? I've not had a chance to use a Dolmar yet. A friend is considering a Dolmar 5100, but servicing dealers are spotty around here -- that and the need to "try before you buy" are holding him back.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

simonmeridew

some people like Fords, some like Chevys. Same with saws. Stick with the main brands the dealers in your area sell, those guys are your friends, whether you know it or not. Like others have said, Stihl, Husky, Johnny are good
simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

Al_Smith

Quote from: simonmeridew on August 09, 2009, 07:42:06 PM
Like others have said, Stihl, Husky, Johnny are good
simonmeridew
You pretty much nailed it on the head .Brands don't make a hill of beans .

I'll bet I've cut more cords with a Mac  PM 610 and a Poulan S-25 than most people have cut in their life time . No big deal,whatever works ,works . 8)

Bruce Hopf

Up until a year ago, I was strictly a user of McCulloch chain saws (Mac 1-10, Mac 10-10 Automatic, Pro Mac 60, Pro Mac 700, and Mini Macs 30, and 35), for cutting my fire wood.
But for health reasons (bad back), I had to switch to a lighter, and faster cutting saws.
I went with an 044, that I completely rebuilt from piston, cylinder, main bearings, seal and gasket kit, carburetor repair kit, an 034, that had to have the rings changed, and an 024, that had a major oil leak from the bar oil tank (turned out to be just a bad seal on the oil cap).
These Stihl chainsaws I mainly cut my fire wood with, but like to get the McCullough chain saws out once in a while. I'm also in the process of getting a pair of Strunk chain saws up and running (if I can find carburetor rebuild kits for them. Tillotson H repair kits). One is a Busy Beaver, and the other is a SpeeDemon. Bruce.
McCulloch
1-Pro Mac 60, 1-Pro Mac 700, 2-Mac 10-10 automatic's, 2-Mini Mac 30's, 2-Mac 110's, 2-Mini Mac 35's, 1-Mac 140 with Automatic chain sharpener, 1-Pro Mac 10-10, 2-Eagar Beaver 2.0's, 1-Mac 1-10
Stihl
2-044's, 2-034,s 2-024's, 1-064, 1-084
Strunk
1-Busy Beaver, 1-SpeeDemon Special

htpd43

5 jonsered (2137/2150/2054/625 II/2165) and 3 stihl (011avt/026/056av magnum II) saws
would love to buy a dolmar - 2 actually the 5100 and the 7900
cut about 10 cords/yr
j'red -2137/2150/2054/625II/2165
stihl -011avt/026/056av magII
kubota L35/2 trailers/chevy 1500/ford350 dump
lindig log splitter & lots of other goodies

John Mc

Primarily a Husqvarna 357XP and a Jonsered 2152. Cutting mainly hardwoods for firewood... rarely run into something that can't be accomplished with a 16" bar, so that's what I have on both. When I need something bigger, I've been known to borrow my father-in-law's Stihl 044 (I'm not in good enough shape to lug that around all day).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ga. bow-man

4 Stihls
Switch from Poulan to Stihl in about 30 years ago, boy was that a step up.
We have a great local Stihl dealer for parts and service that I've
always used. Prices may be a little high but he keeps them running.   

567paloggger

yea my next saw i want to try out is a stihl ms 361

01crewcab

I've run Husky's since the mid 70"s. But I've stood behind several old Stihls-041, 051. 075 and 045's, and an 090g. Even made a couple of cuts with a Jonsereds w/42" bar ;D
2100(2),480, 281, 181,372XPW, 460,435,350,61(4),51-Huskys
49SP, 630Super(3),670's(4), 830, 920, 930 Jonsered's
S-XL925 Homelite
SP125C, 790, 250, 1010 Macs
27Ton Troybilt Splitter
NRA Life Endowment Member
Viet Nam Vet

inspectorwoody

I run a little bit of everything!  ;)

Good old Homelites,John Deere,Echo,Jonsered,Stihl,Efco,Makita. Ran a few Mac's too.

timber tramp

At work Stihl, at home Stihl & Husky.          :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

Ed

Stihl.....Husky.....J-red.....
Slightly favor my Stihls, each brand has its good and bad points.

I'll cut 50-75 face cord of wood per year, plus salvage logging to support my woodworking habit.

Ed

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Ron Scott

~Ron

Wallys World

I have a Stihl 024 Super and a Stihl 056. Both saws work great. I purchased the 056 back in 1980 and it is still going strong. I use Poulans when doing brush and shrub removal jobs. This kind of work can be nasty with all kinds of debris around. If I trash one, oh well....
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

tonto

Stihl MS441 and MS260. They compliment each other nicely. Tonto.
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

MN Ripper

Echo CS-670, CS-330T, & Stihl 028 WB.  I enjoy using them all but seem to go for the 670 the most.
Echo CS-670, CS-330T, Stihl 028 WB

thecfarm

I have a 372XPG Husky.Like those heated handles when there is snow on the ground. I use it all for fire wood now.I probably cut 20 cord a year with it now.I usually have it in my hands at least once a week.I cut a little each day and go on to another project.I cut a lot of small stuff with it too.Trying to claim back a grown up pasture.Just might get it done if I live for another 100 years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Well now ,not bragging but I've got an old David Bradley that came over on the Mayflower that most likely would be the envy of most saw operaters .

No anti vib is needed because it weighs about 40 pounds .It will gnaw through anything but of course is not real fast about it . :D Slooooooooow.

I suppose I might use it more often but I would rather preserve it for another 50 years . 8)

olyman

as my avatar implys--olympyks. i still sell em. but also have a 920 jons,a homey,a clinton, and the animal,a 090 stihl..also have just found and put together 4 oly 999's,the ones gypo talks about. hes a certified nut in canada. and a logger full time.

timber tramp

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 13, 2009, 09:35:13 AM
Well now ,not bragging but I've got an old David Bradley that came over on the Mayflower that most likely would be the envy of most saw operaters .

No anti vib is needed because it weighs about 40 pounds .It will gnaw through anything but of course is not real fast about it . :D Slooooooooow.

I suppose I might use it more often but I would rather preserve it for another 50 years . 8)

No envy here Al.  ;)  Can you put up a pic?               :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

Al_Smith

No but I wish I could figure out how to publish a picture .

I have no trouble on forums that use V bullitin but on others like this I would stand a better chance of walking on water than get a picture to take ..I'm just too stupid I guess . :D

Any way the saw is a slow heavy old rascal and quit honestly I only fiddle with it because of its' antique qualities .It would take a crazy man to use that thing for very long .I'm some dumb not plumb dumb . ;)

TRI955

Howdy all, new guy here. It all started for me with a 3400 poulan, then I went Stihl 026 & 440. Got upset with the local dealer and dumped the Stihl's for Shindaiwa's, I think I,ve had almost all of them, still have a few. Wanted a good 50cc saw, so picked up a Jred 2153 and WOW!! So now I'm a Jonsered fan....

Mike
Jonsered 2153 & 2171

John Woodworth

I also have a old gear drive David Bradley, in their day were a good saw and you don't see many around.

Today all Stihl, have 11 Stihl saws of diffrent sizes and ages as well as a Stihl back pack leaf blower, Sthil weedeater with cultivator and hedge clipper attachments and a Stihl Hedge clipper.

The only off brand saw I have is a Husky I bought for a topping saw and is the biggest piece of junk I've ever had, allmost threw it out from up in the tree several times.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Al_Smith

The DB's were just a better deal than using a whip saw .There were certainly better saws made during that time period but those are about bullit proof,just slower than a snail .

Those antiques are fun to restore and fiddle with but being one who knows first hand they are not something you want to run if there is much cutting to do . Unless of course you desire to give your body a work out  at the same time while cutting some wood .Kind of  like killing two birds with one stone in a way of speaking . :D

SawTroll

Quote from: 567paloggger on August 07, 2009, 10:36:20 PM
hey guys just was wondering what saws everyone was using and how much are they cutting with it a year i personally use huskys

So do I - but one of my favourites is the MS361.... 8) :D :D

The other favourite is the NE346xp - it has been cutting well into the Stihls earlier domain lately...... ;D :D :D

My 5100S isn't cutting into any other saws domain - I don't find it too exiting, but it still is a good saw.
Information collector.

ErikC

I am a stihl fan, got it from dad who is also. I have ran a husky a few times but like the stihl better for some reason. 260, 290, 039, 044 and 460 in the shed right now. I have even had good luck with the homeowner line(290 and  039)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

nikocker

Greetings everyone -
I'm new here, just found the website. I'm a fan of Huskys. Always have been as I think their ergonomics are great. . . at least for me. Love the performance of my NE346XP as well as my 372XP.

Thanks  - - - Al   smiley_beertoast

Magicman

028 and 310 Stihl's, but I do still have a couple of Homelite XL 12's.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John Woodworth

Al: had forgot about the old David Bradley until you mentioned yours, thought I might get the old girl running again, are carb kits and points still around for them? Also I rember using 30 wt. oil in the saw mix, seems like it was 1 quart to 5 gallons of gas, does that sound rite to you?
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

cb6048

Quote from: Husky-Fan on August 08, 2009, 04:01:48 PM
I think my screen name says it all-but Husky for me 8) I cut about 10 cords a year with my 372 and 346(new) ;D

I just love my 346xp!
when hell freezes over I'll snowmobile there too

James P.

First saw I ever owned was a stihl , and I daily use an  015  14 in, 028 super 18 in, 038 av 28 in.
James P.

fishpharmer

Welcome to the forum Nikocker!

I really like Stihl, got a MS361 that got me thru Katrina damage without a hitch.

Also, have a Solo that gave me 20 years of home/farm/firewood use without problems. 

I have a great Stihl dealer.

What I see in this thread so far is that there are alot of good saw brands available.   

Even if Stihl is the best :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Meadows Miller

Gday
Quote from: fishpharmer on September 09, 2009, 05:00:19 PM
Welcome to the forum Nikocker!

I really like Stihl, got a MS361 that got me thru Katrina damage without a hitch.

Also, have a Solo that gave me 20 years of home/farm/firewood use without problems. 

I have a great Stihl dealer.

What I see in this thread so far is that there are alot of good saw brands available.  

Even if Stihl is the best :D

I dont know about that one James  ;) I Thought Husky was that Best Mate  ??? ;) :D :D  :D  8)

Like Dads Drilled into me since i could listen   ;) is that  most saws are only as good as their Owner is to them  ;) ;D 8) Some are Just better left on the Shelf  ;)

He liked Macs untill thay stoped building them in the USA    ??? :) ::)  :( His dad got him one on his last big falling job in 89 when his husky blewup Puppa went and got him this cheap mac on his way up to get a load of logs to save dad the time he'd loose apparently  ;) :D and dad spent 7 hours up on the landing troubble shooting trying to get the thing to run  :o :) ::)turned aruond cracked it big time Put the bar cover back on and belted the thing repeatedly up against a tree then drove his 15 ton Kato over it  :( >:( :o :) ::) Next Morning he had a new Husky

Regards Chris

John Mc

Quote from: Meadows Miller on September 09, 2009, 07:38:41 PM
most saws are only as good as their Owner is to them  ;) ;D 8) Some are Just better left on the Shelf  ;)

Would that be some owners, or some saws are better left on the shelf (or both)? :D

John Mc

Meadows Miller

:D :D :D :D John I think that can go both ways Mate  ;) :D :D You should have seen some of the saws ppl have brought in to me asking to sort out why its not working too well for them  :o :) :) ??? ::) ::) What the Hell have you done to it  :o ;) :D :D ::)

That little mac that dad had for a whole 8 hrs Was when he and the ecavator opperator were expeacted to get atleast 3to4 28 ton semi loads out a day  :) Thats Alot of wood in 12" to 24" Dbh trees  ;) and like he said to puppa when he got there with this Elcheapo $500 saw expecting him to keep up  :o You Can Take that Bloody thing Back to the shop or the mill  and ill go get a decent one ???  :( ::) Like dad said things would have been Fine if the Bloody thing would have just runn rite for him  ::) ::) He spent about $1100 on the husky  ;)
Puppa thought for afew years that the tree had lent back pinching the bar then when they pushed it over it had gotten crushed when the tree spunn of the stump  ;)  Dad let it him in on it at a family Bbq  ;) :D Puppa What!!! and Dad Well the thing cost us a day which was about $5ks lost production  ;) Puppas last reply was well i spose so  ;) :D :D :D

bossltr

Howdy I'm new here and having a blast so far readin'
Names' Brian Rodgers been workin in the woods for 30 plus years
NOTE FROM ADMIN>NO OFF SITE PHOTOS ALLOWED. PHOTOS MUST BE IN YOUR FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY! READ THE FORESTRY FORUM RULES!
I am so glad to have found this place.
Thanks for havin me.
Started out with Mac1010, 610s,  numerous Homelites, Sach Dolmar, stolen on a trip to town, bummer, got a 036 Stihl as a replacement, for workin Ponderosa Pine, and a little Jonsereds which I rebuilt the engine on, crap twenty years ago because of a wrist pin failure Jonserds gave me all the parts for free, so that was cool, use the little saw for New Mexico small Pinon and Cedar, my bro has an 026 & 036 Stihl as well as a big Husky for this Alaska Mill:
NOTE FROM ADMIN>NO OFF SITE PHOTOS ALLOWED. PHOTOS MUST BE IN YOUR FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY! READ THE FORESTRY FORUM RULES!
Brian Rodgers
http://outfitnm.com My renewable energy website

fishpharmer

Brian,

Welcome to Forestry Forum. 

Nice pictures.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

beenthere

Brian
Welcome to the forum. Spent some time in Western New Mexico in the ponderosa and D fir country on the Gila Nat'l Forest. Great summer near Reserve. Your area reminds me a lot of that time. Beautiful.

Look forward to hearing more about your interests in biofuels, forestry, and making sawdust.

So's we don't lose them, your pics in your gallery here would be great too.  :)

Saves us from having red X's in little boxes.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

Quote from: John Woodworth on August 27, 2009, 08:38:25 PM
Al: had forgot about the old David Bradley until you mentioned yours, thought I might get the old girl running again, are carb kits and points still around for them? Also I rember using 30 wt. oil in the saw mix, seems like it was 1 quart to 5 gallons of gas, does that sound rite to you?
Sorry I missed this question .The carb is just a standard Tillotson model HL ,kits are available and actually better than the old .Here of late they are using better materials that hold up better to the ethanal type gasolines they are forcing us to use .

The points I doubt ever go bad although for reasons unknown everyone seems to want to change them  ???. The DB's used a Phelon type ignition used on boat motors such as Mercurys and older Homelite chainsaw engines . If anything the points might need a little polishing up at the most . Occasionaly the condenser might be faulty or rarely the coil .

Fact is ,as I type I myself need a Phelon coil for an old Lombard that also uses a power products AH-47 engine,same as the DB .

bossltr

Thanks everyone
No need to worry about the red X's with my images, they are all linked to my website and knock on wood, that site has been around for as long as the Internet has 8)
I went looking for the place to create my photo album here, and it didn't pop out at me.
Brian
Brian Rodgers
http://outfitnm.com My renewable energy website

Jeff

Quote from: bossltr on September 13, 2009, 08:44:33 AM
Thanks everyone
No need to worry about the red X's with my images, they are all linked to my website and knock on wood, that site has been around for as long as the Internet has 8)
I went looking for the place to create my photo album here, and it didn't pop out at me.
Brian

Once again, in public this time, read the forum rules.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Al_Smith

Well Bossltr  you might have a website as old as dirt but you aren't going to change these guys .So you either do things the way they want or else you post no pictures .Just the way it is .

I gave up a long time ago .I don't tell people how to run a web site because it's none on my business .

Obviously there are easier ways to post pictures but because of whatever reason they prefer to do things another way of which I have no comment about because it's not my site . I kind of figure in my own little life of posting on several sites if someone wanted to see any of my stuff they could hunt me down on the web under the same user name . ;) --I'm real easy to find .

Toolman

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Thank You Sponsors!