iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone Here Live Full Time In An RV And Work?

Started by Chris Travels, November 25, 2016, 11:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Travels

Hey everyone! Thank you for checking my post. My name is Chris and I am considering a career in forestry. I have been researching online articles/this board for some time now and it seems as though I would really enjoy this field of work.

I wanted to reach out and ask if anyone in this career is living and working full time in an RV. For example, while searching potential jobs, I continuously find 1-4 week long assignments throughout the West Coast. It seems to me, and please correct me if I am wrong, that one could travel the country picking up work assigments. I am currently living and traveling full time in an RV now working as a video producer and social media marketer. However, I am looking for a mix of working online and getting out into the wild. Additionally, I do not want a lifelong career as a video producer or marketer, this work is simply not fullfilling. I feel as though forestry is a career that I would be fulfilled by.

Is this a naive view into the field or do you feel as though this would be possible? Any insights or experiences, personal or vicarious, would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Sixacresand

We have retired friends that sold their house/place and are now full time RVers. They regularly post pictures of their current front yard.  The life style works for them but I'm sure it is not without challenges.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Ljohnsaw

Just a thought.  Are you open to the idea of getting whatever it takes to be a lumber grader?  I'm on the west coast and it seems that there are NO lumber graders in California available for hire.  They all are working for the mills.  Seems like a conflict of interest to me, but I digress.  I did some looking around and the closest was up in Oregon.  It would cost me a minimum of $600 for a day's work.  That seems like pretty good pay and with an RV as a place to stay, your expenses would sure be lower.  I'm not saying you could make this a full time gig, but it could fill in the gaps.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Don P

A grader either works for a mill or for the overseeing grading agencies, both want a long term full time employee. My wife and I worked on the road living in an rv, building log homes for a dozen or so years. We came in and settled down when it was time to be caregivers. I enjoyed it most of the time, we got to travel around and see the country and yet plop down into a community for several months and get a real feel for it. We also planted trees for a number of years out of the camper, just pull up on the logging deck and a few hundred acres of arrowheads were ours for the finding.

Chris Travels

Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 26, 2016, 01:27:42 PM
Just a thought.  Are you open to the idea of getting whatever it takes to be a lumber grader?  I'm on the west coast and it seems that there are NO lumber graders in California available for hire.  They all are working for the mills.  Seems like a conflict of interest to me, but I digress.  I did some looking around and the closest was up in Oregon.  It would cost me a minimum of $600 for a day's work.  That seems like pretty good pay and with an RV as a place to stay, your expenses would sure be lower.  I'm not saying you could make this a full time gig, but it could fill in the gaps.

This is an interesting aspect of my search. One of the benefits I am noticing with the forester profession is flexibility with the degree. I would for certain get my grader creational if I continue forward. I am still having a very hard time finding anyone who has done the rv lifestyle as a forester. I may try calling the USFS and trying to connect with someone there.

Chris

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Chris Travels on November 27, 2016, 09:02:03 PM

This is an interesting aspect of my search. One of the benefits I am noticing with the forester profession is flexibility with the degree. I would for certain get my grader credential if I continue forward. I am still having a very hard time finding anyone who has done the rv lifestyle as a forester. I may try calling the USFS and trying to connect with someone there.

Chris

Chris, I just noticed your profile and that you already are a full-time RVer (even though you stated that in your OP - I miss little things like that... ::)).  So, I'm assuming you like the lifestyle.  What's the issue?  Finding work?  Where/how you chose to live shouldn't be an issue with your employer.  Having the ability to live comfortably close to your work site and/or job assignments would be great!  Your potential employer should be grateful that they wouldn't have to put you up in a hotel for travel assignments!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Chris Travels

Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 27, 2016, 09:19:44 PM
Quote from: Chris Travels on November 27, 2016, 09:02:03 PM

This is an interesting aspect of my search. One of the benefits I am noticing with the forester profession is flexibility with the degree. I would for certain get my grader credential if I continue forward. I am still having a very hard time finding anyone who has done the rv lifestyle as a forester. I may try calling the USFS and trying to connect with someone there.

Chris

Chris, I just noticed your profile and that you already are a full-time RVer (even though you stated that in your OP - I miss little things like that... ::)).  So, I'm assuming you like the lifestyle.  What's the issue?  Finding work?  Where/how you chose to live shouldn't be an issue with your employer.  Having the ability to live comfortably close to your work site and/or job assignments would be great!  Your potential employer should be grateful that they wouldn't have to put you up in a hotel for travel assignments!

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I absolutely love the lifestyle and that is why I am looking into forestry. I want a career that I can grow in, enjoy and be fulfilled. Believe it or not, it is actually EXTREMELY hard to find a job that pays well and is totally mobile other than web development/software design. Not that those careers are not something I have considered, I just do not want to sit in front of my computer all day. Forestry brings in the outdoor aspect, flexibility and pay that I desire. Finding an employer that would hire me for work along the West coast would be ideal, the USFS seems to be a good option from what I am finding.

Alas, like I mentioned before, my only option to find a solid answer seems to be a series of phone calls. I will start calling around the USFS tomorrow.

Chris

Chris Travels

I wanted to report in and let anyone know who may search this topic so I can share my findings.

Working for the USFS is the best option for long term assignments. They typically do not hire short term due to federal hiring practices. So, unless I wanted to stay in one spot for long periods of time, this was not for me.

Working state by state is a different matter. For example, if I wanted to do forestry tech work I could be hired on for a short term assignment. There are not many short term assignments like I was looking for (1-4 weeks) but there are 3 month long assignments.

Two aspects I need to get figured out:

1- How will the upcoming administration deal with the State Park System?

2- Do I get my bachelors or associates. I already have a bachelors so both would be a two year process.

Chris

Thank You Sponsors!