iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vintage Axe Questions.. I need advice

Started by scottyc, September 25, 2013, 01:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottyc

Hello, I'm new to the forum and i love collecting vintage axes. I started about 3 months ago, I've aquired a 5 1/2 lb Plumb felling axe, A 5' Stinsson 2 man saw and a 4lb Ciollins
My question is, what type/company axes should i keep my eye out for? again purly for collecting.
My second question is, Where and how does someone go abouts ordering a John Neeman axe? I sent a few emails and left a few messages.. Is there a webiste besides his
The minute you think you know it all, is when you stop learning

Weekend_Sawyer

Last I knew he was having some trouble with his website.
There is a knife I am interested in so I'm waiting for his site to be available again.

Welcome aboard Scotty!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Weekend_Sawyer

By the way, did you view the thread above titled It's Hatchet Time
Very interesting.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Raider Bill

Welcome

Forget John Neeman. Nothing but excuses.

This is the place to go for axe's & knifes.

http://www.autinetools.com
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

scottyc

Thanks for the Welcome and the link, Does anyone here collect vintage Axes?

Jeff

I have a few. Not a lot. :)  Plumbs are quite common around here. My favorites here are a Keen Cutter and a Winchester and a Kelly stamped for the C.C.C.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

scottyc

I have to be honest with you, I really like restoring them lol.. My plumb has a mirror finish. I know it's not practical for use but again i just enjoy collecting them, I paid $5.00 for it and $15 for the stinsson 2 man saw.

thecfarm

scottyc,welcome to the forum. I have quite a few vintage axe heads. Theses are all from my Father and his Father. I doubt they are any big names,but they mean a lot to me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

scotty
Welcome to the forum, and we'd sure like to see pics of the restored axes.
I'm looking to learn a few things from this thread.

The thread "It's Hatchet Time" is here
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,67192.0.html

And what would make an axe "vintage" ?? Age, and if so, what age would be the minimum?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

scottyc

I'll post a picture tonight when i get home from work

jueston

i have a pretty big collection of old hammers, mostly from estate sales, but i have a few hatchets too. i don't know why, i just like the idea of the old piece of steal. it seems so much better then one off the shelf at a store.

i also sharpen and polish mine far beyond what is necessary, but it keeps me busy, and i enjoy it.... and then after i make them pretty i just put them up on a wall in the shop(my basement) and never use them... some people(my girlfriend) think its a waste of time, but we all have hobby's....

scottyc

i hear the same thing from my girlfriend :laugh: I'm going to look at a collection of 2 man saws and older axes from a buddy of mine who has been cleaning out farms for estate sales in upstate ny and northern jersey, looking forward to sunday

Jeff

Remember, if you keep all that stuff in the house, someone is going to make you dust. I know. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQr1OwdahFE

loggah

I have quite a few old axes, and hatchets. lots of blacksmith made ones,some winchester hatchets 4 different styles,and a bunch of Marbles safety axes and Marbles cruisers axe, the Marbles are high quality made in Gladstone,Mich. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Jeff

The marbles company is still up there, at least in name.  The older ones are probably one of the highest priced collectable axes you will find in these parts.

loggah

Jeff, The old Marbles stuff is super quality,sights,knives,axes. The newer stuff is made overseas and is really  no where near the quality of the old !!  :( :( Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

snowstorm

if you ever get to maine. go to liberty tool. its in liberty. it may be old used and a little beat up but you never know what you will find there

scottyc

Everyone tells me to go to Maine.. I think i'll take a weekend up there in the spring

Al_Smith

I don't neccessarily collect  old axes but I have a few .Notable I suppose is an old 5 pound splitter that evidently was hand forged according to my ex wives grandfather .I also have my deceased fathers' double bit Plumb which is as old as I am. That axe has only been sharpened with a hand stone for as far back as I can remember and has never sat outside in the rain .Actually you can't sharpened it with a file because the steel is too hard .

WH_Conley

Anybody know anything about Germantown Axe? My brother in law got a hatchet as they were cleaning out an old man's house that lived beside him a few years back and gave it to me. It seems like a quality tool, but, I can find very little on the web.
Bill

scottyc

scottyc

this is a 3.5 lb Plumb in working on now, The one side is done still have some work on the other,

thecfarm

That has a nice shine,finish to it. WOW! Mine are just the old dull kind. Nothing fancy or real good steel like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scottyc

i have a few with a dull finish, I wanted to learn how to get a high finish. I learned it takes alot of elbow grease or i need to buy a polisher :laugh:

beenthere

Good on the pics scotty.  And you polished this with "elbow grease" ? 

Care to tell us what you used for polish, grit, and pad?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!