iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas mill upgrade

Started by Dan_F, September 15, 2008, 01:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_F

I have a 13 hp lucas from 2003 and well its losing power and the engine is on its way out.

I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade to the 18 hp briggs and stratton with the clutch?

Ive heard the gearboxes being different ratios, I replaced the whole gearbox last year. If the ratios are different is there  an engine that anyone knows of that would compensate for the new ratio being different.

What are my options or does anyone have ideas to help me out?

Thanks.
2001 F-350 flatbed dump, JD 550, Kubota L48, Cat 966, Cat D7, Lucas 613, 14 husqvarnas

brdmkr

Dan,

I have no experience with the 613, but I would not think that the gear ratios would differ as the rpm of both engines should be about the same.  I would focus more on the hp rating of the gear box and then on the power transfer from engine to the gear box.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Captain

Speaking from my experience, ratios have more to do with blade size (circumference, blade surface feet per minute) than engine HP. 

Captain

Dan_F

I had the same thoughts about the ratio only having to do with the blade size. I think the next step is to find the hp rating on the gearbox. Who should I contact on that? I wont be around the mill for a week so I cant poke around for a name on the gearbox.
2001 F-350 flatbed dump, JD 550, Kubota L48, Cat 966, Cat D7, Lucas 613, 14 husqvarnas

dudley j

Hi Dan
         Yes you can fit an 18hp to your 6.13 . But you will have to get a few other parts so you can change to 18 hp .
There is no differents ratio in the gear box from 13 hp  to the 18 hp .
Just contact Baileys and they would be able to help you out.
Dudley
lucasmill

Dan_F

I ordered all the necessary parts except the engine.  Does anyone have the model number that I will need? I know its a 1 inch horizontal shaft thats about it.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Dan You can even go from 13 hp to a 27hp koller motor on the 618 I think . one of the Blokes I used to run a mill for when I was younger had one of the first Lucas mills built and it had been upgraded from 16hp  to a 24 honda Im not to sure wether they needed to put a new motor mounting plate and bracket onit tho my personal preferece would be to go as large a motor as you can afford to put on it . Id give Bailys or Lucas an email to confirm what size You can mount in beetwene the rails on the carriage as some of the eirlyer models had a different size carriage on them when they went from 25hp max to 27 hp motors Good luck Mate

Chris McMahon
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!