iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kevin, our Admin

Started by Tom, October 08, 2006, 12:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Not everybody knows, but Kevin is an experienced and well trained climber.  He works on Line Right of Ways, mostly.  Today he was in the top of a tall White pine that was growing close to a couple of buildings.  He was rigging the limbs down and the trunk is to follow.  Here was his view from way up in the pine.  Yep, he's a pretty good picture taker too. :)

We're pretty lucky to have this kind of talent on the Forum.
He's good with Chainsaw information too. :)

Timburr

Kevin's lucky too.  There are only a few people who can experience that unique, privileged view from the tree tops, especially in the fall.   Are you envious Arnold, Ansel or whatever your name is?  :D

I particularly like pic. # 2.  The pine branches frame in the lake to a tee
Sense is not common

SwampDonkey

Looks to be in the same neighborhood he took that white pine down and across the ice this past winter. I think he was going to mill some boards to.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

The worst I fear from those big white pine around buildings is broken limbs. Never see too many getting uprooted, but they have big limbs than can do some damage to buildings or cars parked below. Ice build up along with wind is probably the worst fear.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kevin

That pine just had some limbs removed and I knocked the deadwood out of it and cleaned up some broken stubs.
I got the pine done and started in on a cedar but the winds were too strong to top it without a rope, it was late in the day and I was getting tired so I went back today to even higher wind gusts  :-\ but got a rope in the top of it and worked the tree down.
Swampy, you nailed it.., very good!
Same lake about 1/2 mile from the pine removal last winter.
I was back there today and will be back there tomorrow.
Thanks Tom.

Norm

Oh now tell the truth...you back talked the wifey and she treed ya. ;D

Kevin

Norm, when the lady settled our business she said now take that home to your wife  :D

I said ya, you'll be all right.  :D

Kevin

I'll try and get a picture of a red oak tomorrow if it's still standing.
Worst one I've seen to date.
We are expecting high winds this week so it may not last long.

Kevin

beenthere

That last pic shows what looks like a head of a canine (coyote, wolf, or dog) stuck in the tree.
Don't suppose he was jus passin through...... ::)
Have to wonder what holds 'em trees up sometimes.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kevin

There must be a little compression wood on the front of that .  ;D

OneWithWood

Looks to me like you are tempting fate and trying to get that tree to come down all by itself by parking your truck there  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Kevin

I'm uphill of the lean but there is a garage and parking spot beyond the truck.
That's where the carnage will occur.

Murf

That looks a lot like da view I get to enjoy out da front of da airey-plane....... ;D

'Cept the branches are usually a little further down ....... I hope.  ::)

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

SwampDonkey

They got porkupine problems to? I've seen porkys hull leaves and stuff up inside them for a winter lodge, especially near maple and yellow birch. Had one that held up in an old junk car the relatives left here on a rock pile. It got at a nice sugar maple a couple years ago and climbed up to the top and chewed the bark off the limbs in the upper crown. I live a good 1/2 mile from any woods, fields all around. Darn thing.  >:(

Kevin

Sounds like you could use a fisher or two Swampy.

SwampDonkey

Haven't seen any locally for at least 10 years. There was a spruce stand down the road along a stream (they were tall trees, like white pine and veneer sized) before they cut it, and we would see one once in awhile there. Now what I've never seen here near home untill last winter are river otters. I used to see them on the main river, but not small streams and not running over land. Not many people trap fir now, so we are seeing more critters I never saw much of when growing up.

Tom

A student pilot once asked his instructor, "If I'm flying in the middle of the night and get caught in a storm and my instruments go out, what do I do?"

"Turn your landing lights on and........ if you don't like what you see, turn them back off", said the instructor.  :P

SwampDonkey

Getting off topic as usual, but over the years when talking with the old timers who had sheep they said they never used to ever see a bear. Then they got thick around settlements and attacked the sheep, so they had bounties on them. I hardly see a sheep farm now and I can't even buy wool clothes around here.  I think I can get wool socks from Quebec, but they want almost $30 a pair. ::)

leweee

eh ? Kevin... you give that hollow oak a dirt nap yet ? ;D

Any pics of the carnage? :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Kevin

I would drop that if the incentive was right. ;D

I'm pretty sure they are going to let it take the natural course and free fall.
I can't see it making it past the end of November with the winds we will soon be getting.

Kevin

I got a phone call last night and had it on the ground at 10:00 this morning.
Everything went well and we saved a bunch of trees from collateral damage.

That brings this story to an end.  ;D

Tom

That's threading the needle.

Come on, Kevin.  Tell us how you did it.  :P :)

Kevin

Tom, the tree gods were with me.  :D
It's all about putting the holding wood where you need it, remove the rest and hope for the best.
It helps to throw in a wedge or two, too.

Thank You Sponsors!