iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Today's junkyard find.

Started by Kbeitz, January 09, 2017, 03:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

Quote from: loggah on January 04, 2018, 06:36:33 AM
Looks like a good day of "SHOPPING" ,just amazing what gets junked.Within the last month i got a Onan aircooled 4 cylinder generator 15KW 3 phase or 10KW 1 phase. I also got a little giant no.2 manual steel sheer and punch, and also a fisher 200 lb anvil. Lastly i got 2 of the old style kerosene,oil rectangular tanks with working pumps on top.  I need to build another building ! ;D ;D

To bad you not closer. Our local yard also got in a Onan aircooled 4 cylinder generator. It look like newish except it was taken apart. The head was off it for
some reason. I took some parts off it but I left most of it there.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

In the last picture with the saw. I got the dewalt 18v battery to charge up.
The large chunk of round steel will become a centrifugal weight for my cut off saw.
The 3 sanding pads are like new. New cost for them is around $7 each. I have no
idea what the two square looking chunks of steel was used for but I though they
would be good wire spool collars. The square head bolts will go to my milling machine for hold down bolts.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I just had to go back today and get some more of that 3/8" cable.
It was just to good of a deal not to get some more.

While I was there I found this satellite dish positioner. I have only seen
a few like this one. Great for building things. I also got a hand full of
small stuff not pictured.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

moodnacreek

I thought it was just in New York where they throw everything away. The other day I got 3 chain come alongs.  A friend got 3512 Cat 1000 kw gen set with 500 hours ! He got there just as they were cutting it in half so it would fit in the metal dumpster. I should learn to do photos because I don't expect anyone to believe this.

loggah

WasThat generator  in Grimmels yard in Troy by any chance? My Friend who has the yard i have my shear in sold Grimmel a generator identical to that a few years ago that came out of a co-genplant  at Pymouth state university.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

coxy

that saw is a ts 400 if its blown put it back where you got it  most of the time they need a crank  we used them to cut blue stone  I think the new ones are a 410 the 460 was a pile of      I had 2 of them  didn't get 6 months out of them

Kbeitz

Quote from: coxy on January 05, 2018, 06:49:38 AM
that saw is a ts 400 if its blown put it back where you got it  most of the time they need a crank  we used them to cut blue stone  I think the new ones are a 410 the 460 was a pile of      I had 2 of them  didn't get 6 months out of them

Thanks...

Wonder if the front attachment could be put on another saw?
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

moodnacreek

Loggah, That cat gen set came from down here. The guy that got it runs a 3508 set that is almost maxed out as they add more machines. He also has a 3412. They are welding this 3512 back together this winter. It was the channel frame that was cut. The gen. is shaft connected to the diesel on this unit and they [the guys that did the cut] unbolted the shaft coupling ! The co. that owned it had to vacate the building.  P.S. hate to admit it but I,m not sawing today.

loggah

The generator up here was a direct connected unit.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Kbeitz

Back a page I had a picture of the chunk of round stock that I wanted
to make a centrifugal weight for my swing saw. Sometimes I think it's
cheaper to buy new than to build. I split the chunk if steel and drill tapped
it so I could slid it over my shaft and bolt it on. I'm guessing this was a
hydraulic ram pivot pin and I thought I was going to have a hard time
machining it. So the first thing I did was to drill a one inch hole in the
middle with my lathe. This turned out to be the easy part. This pin was
case hardened on the outside. Drilling the hole in the middle was easy.
Drilling the six mounting hole through the skin and countersinking was
a real pain. It only took two milling bits, two hs drill bits and four carbide
bits and three dremel grind stones to get the job done....

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

I would have given up way before that. but then again I have plenty of other really heavy stock I have access to.

Kwill

Read all 21 pages. You come up with some good finds. I get a lot of old stuff at auctions. Some of it I have no clue what is. I will have e to postuo some pics And see if you know what it is.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Kbeitz

Quote from: Kwill on January 07, 2018, 09:55:04 PM
Read all 21 pages. You come up with some good finds. I get a lot of old stuff at auctions. Some of it I have no clue what is. I will have e to postuo some pics And see if you know what it is.

I would like that very much... Maybe we both can learn something new.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

rospaw

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 07, 2018, 10:34:02 PM

Kbeitz, I read this site everyday for years but don't post much. (longer story why) One of the main reason for coming to this forum is to read your posts. Many of your post weather it be wood burning, Sawmill, small tractor or just some old time common since i enjoy reading. This thread is right up my alley! If you don't mind i also have a few "head scratching" items in my shop that i would like to picture with a "what the heck is it" question. I also visit/buy odds and ends from a few of the larger scrappers in my area. See LOTS of Lockheed stuff and like junk. Not really a seller more of a packer.  :D

Kwill

Hey kbeitz do you have one of these in your collection?

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kbeitz

I don't know if it take a blade attachment but it does cut grass. I have two...

I also have this old toy. I could not find a picture of it so I just now ran
down to the shop and took this picture.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Quote from: rospaw on January 07, 2018, 10:51:25 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on January 07, 2018, 10:34:02 PM

Kbeitz, I read this site everyday for years but don't post much. (longer story why) One of the main reason for coming to this forum is to read your posts. Many of your post weather it be wood burning, Sawmill, small tractor or just some old time common since i enjoy reading. This thread is right up my alley! If you don't mind i also have a few "head scratching" items in my shop that i would like to picture with a "what the heck is it" question. I also visit/buy odds and ends from a few of the larger scrappers in my area. See LOTS of Lockheed stuff and like junk. Not really a seller more of a packer.  :D

Love to see your stuff... Post away....
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sandhills

Ok Kwill, thanks a lot!  Now I have to dig through the hayloft full of old bikes so I can have one too  :D.  Something tells me though that Kbeitz will get one built much faster!  K, that's the first belt driven toy I think I've seen, really neat!

Jeff

Kbeitz, I read this site everyday for years but don't post much. (longer story why)
rospaw, If you like, since you choose to bring it up, i can tell it. I have every post, I have every message.  You want to be part of this forum, please, make yourself at home. If you plan on trying to stir something up because you were reprimanded almost 4 years ago for breaking our rules, I don't advise it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kwill

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 08, 2018, 08:03:13 AM
I don't know if it take a blade attachment but it does cut grass. I have two...

I also have this old toy. I could not find a picture of it so I just now ran
down to the shop and took this picture.

I like the dukes of hazard car in the back ground 8)
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

nativewolf

You are going to take the mans daily driver?   :D
Liking Walnut

rospaw

Quote from: Jeff on January 08, 2018, 11:32:45 AM

Kbeitz, I read this site everyday for years but don't post much. (longer story why)
rospaw, If you like, since you choose to bring it up, i can tell it. I have every post, I have every message.  You want to be part of this forum, please, make yourself at home. If you plan on trying to stir something up because you were reprimanded almost 4 years ago for breaking our rules, I don't advise it.

Guess things don't change.  ::)  Getting accused of something that you were NOT doing, had NO reason to do, had NO affiliation with said charge, is not the norm for me. Asking about sawmill equip coming up for auction (value/need ect)  that i don't have much knowledge of is what i thought/know is done on forums. If i was able to buy something and make a buck is the American way, right? Seen it on here many of times. 
As you can see i did not come back to the site for a year or 2. Reason for coming back was a good friend asked me to look at a thread to give him my thoughts. He post/reads on here a lot being a 2 time woodmizer sawmill owner.
I will delete my link to the site if you wish?

Jeff

We don't delete. We ban.  Is that what you want?

So EVERYONE knows what we are talking about, this poster came on after making 9 posts. He started a topic on the general board saying he was going to an auction, and listed many items of the auction. He posted that his intent was, that if you saw something you wanted, to let him know and he would buy it and sell it back to you here for a profit.  His post was deleted for breaking our commerce rules.  He then decided he was going to debate it with me in personal messages.  that ain't going to fly in my house.  I never banned him, or called him out publicly on the forum.  He comes back after all this time, 2014, and his second post states he has a longer story why he doesn't post here.  If he would have kept his virtual mouth shut, I wouldn't have even recalled who he was. 
I still havn't banned him, but I may.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kbeitz

I got a bunch of old pedal cars but this one will stay with me until my grave.
This first picture was taken in the 50's when my cousin owned it. Then it was
passed to my older brother. Second picture is when I got it and put a gas motor
in it back in the 80's. Third picture is with me in the 90's. Forth picture is still in
the barn. I haven't  started it in years. I've had a ton of fun on it.

Another picture of it from the 50's.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

starmac

Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Thank You Sponsors!