iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gift 038

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, July 27, 2018, 08:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

I was helping a friend of mine clean out her barn and garage.
Her husband, Bob, passed away about 7 years ago, a wonderful person gone way too soon.

On the shelf in the garage was this 038 stihl. I asked her about it and she said he bought it at an auction and never got around to messing with it. Take it she said. Take it I did.
Why someone wrapped the sparkplug wire in foil I do not know.

Someone either did not know how to sharpen a chain or didn't care. Most of the teeth were curved back at an extreme angle and the rakers had never been touched.

The bar, to say the least, was well worn. I couldn't get a good pic of the channel but I have never seen one worn so bad.

It has a 7 tooth sprocket.

But it's pretty worn too.

I filed down the chain and bar. Dumped the old gas and topped it up with fresh. After half a dozen pulls it fired up! I cut a couple of cookies off of a 12" white oak. It ran fine but pulled to the left in the cut. I resharpened the chain but it still wants to pull left. I figure the bar and chain are trash.

After a couple of cuts I pulled the plug. Looks pretty good.

So I have this bar I bought for my 029 but never used it.

I plan to use it with this saw If I can get a sprocket to match up with it.

I am having a little trouble removing the old sprocket. I took off the big and little spring clips but it doesn't pull off. Any suggestions?

Thanks for riding along.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

HolmenTree

Jon, nice find you got there.
The new 20" 3003 mount bar will fit great, but you'll need to run a .325 26RSC or 26RM chain which would be good for the old 038S with 20".

You will need to change over the worn out 7t spur drum to a .325 rim drum setup.

The drum has sawdust and  oil build up around the drums inside edge. Pull it off by the sprocket with a pair of pliers
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Weekend_Sawyer

Thanks for the reply.
That's exactly the information I need.

Jon

HolmenTree

Your welcome Jon. Those inboard clutch drums are bad for building up inside with sawdust especially when it had a hard life pulling a dull chain.

Al_Smith

The 038 super for some reason of that model series I haven't seen too many .Might be a regional thing .
Of the ones you do see I think the 038 magnum seems to be more plentiful .

Al_Smith

I can't tell by the picture if it's a drum/spur or a replaceable spur .They made both .It can be changed to a rim drive but the oil pump gears will need to be changed .
I just looked at the IPL and to change it to rim drive appears to be the only option to be able to run .325 chain .The spurs,either combined drum or replacable spur only come in 3/8" seven tooth .Which is not to say it can't be done .

69bronco

That's a great saw! I bought a 38 super new in 1980, ran it 6 days a week for a few years. Still the first one I grab off the shelf!

HolmenTree

Actually the 67cc 038S was introduced in 1983.
But like you Bronco I bought my first 61 cc 038 brand new in 1980.
Great saw.

69bronco

CRS strikes again! Prob right.

Maine372

I wouldn't put .325 chain on any saw over 50ccs. upgrade the whole system to 3/8ths. those older saws are torque monsters and need a chain that will take advantage of it.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Maine372 on July 28, 2018, 09:17:37 PM
I wouldn't put .325 chain on any saw over 50ccs. upgrade the whole system to 3/8ths. those older saws are torque monsters and need a chain that will take advantage of it.
The 038S would handle the .325 real nice.  Jon already has a brand new 3003 mount 20" .325 bar might as well use it .
If he decides to go 3/8 later it's just a $10 rim sprocket and new 3/8 bar.
I run 23RS .325 chain on my 562XP and it rips better then a 3/8.

hedgerow

The first new saw I bought was a 038 AV super I think it was in 1984 or 1985 still have that saw and use it once in a while. For years it was my go to saw. Before the 038 I always had used saws that no one wanted. We just use saws for clearing pastures and putting up 15 cord a year for the boiler.  

HolmenTree

Quote from: HolmenTree on July 28, 2018, 10:41:20 PM
Quote from: Maine372 on July 28, 2018, 09:17:37 PM
The 038S would handle the .325 real nice.  Jon already has a brand new 3003 mount 20" .325 bar might as well use it .
If he decides to go 3/8 later it's just a $10 rim sprocket and new 3/8 bar.
I run 23RS .325 chain on my 562XP and it rips better then a 3/8.
Jon,
One important thing I forgot to mention. To run a .325 rim sprocket on a 038 standard 7/8"diameter 7 spline clutch drum, there is only a 9 tooth .325 rim sprocket available.
Just a tad bit larger in diameter then a 3/8" 8 tooth rim I show in my pic below.
With the torque of the 038 it will pull the smaller chain easily plus give you more chain speed for limbing .
Stihl part# 0000 642 1239 (.325"x9)
Oregon part# ORF 13624 (.325"×9)
Husqv part#640 20 00 21 (.325×9)

Weekend_Sawyer

Thanks,
I was having trouble finding that rim sprocket.
Actually the dealer I usually buy from said it wasn't made.
They arent the smartest bunch of guys but they can lift heavy things!

Amazon had it for $10

Jon

Al_Smith

.325 cuts okay ,I have several under 50 cc saws that use it . The largest I have that uses it is an 028 Stihl farm boss. Also keep in mind Willard has about 3 miles of .325 and 4 dozen extra bars so he has a good reason to use it . :D

Weekend_Sawyer

Well I just didn't come up with the right clutch/rim sprocket combination to run the oiler.
I went ahead and got a replacement 3/8 spur sprocket/clutch and a woodland pro 20" bar and chain combo. Normally I would always go with Stihl bar and chain combo but now I have 4 nice Stihl chainsaws in good working condition so I went with a cheaper Bar/Chain.

After tuning the carb it cuts pretty good. I plan on using it and my 261C-M together this weekend.
Looking up the specs they are about evenly matched HP with the 038 being about 4lb heavier.

Fun, fun, fun
Jon

hedgerow

I think you will find that a 3/8 chain  and a 20 inch bar on that saw is a nice match. I have ran  a 038 since it was new in the 80's that way. 

HolmenTree

Quote from: hedgerow on August 17, 2018, 11:47:37 AM
I think you will find that a 3/8 chain  and a 20 inch bar on that saw is a nice match. I have ran  a 038 since it was new in the 80's that way.
Back in the early 1980's my 61cc 038AV was my backup saw to my Jonsered 630 while 8 hr a day pulpwood logging.
Only way I could keep them equal in production performance was to run a 9 tooth .325 rim and .325 chisel chain on the 038.
On the 630 I ran 7 tooth 3/8" rim with 73LP/LG chain.
The 038 wasn't noted for having high chainspeed
When the first 56cc 034 were introduced I bought in 1984 it had 13,500 rpm versus 12,000 for the 038.
These early 034 saws came out with a mini 7 spline sprocket drum so I was able to run a smaller diameter 7 tooth .325 rim sprocket on it giving me better torque but still having good chain speed.
I never waited long enough for the 034Super I just went straight to the 14 lb. 85cc 064AV in 1986. The 044 came 2 years later.

The 61cc 034Super at 11.6 lbs was a game changer in the small saw department at the time, my brother cut pulp with one and it handled a 3/8 no problem. 

Al_Smith

I've got an 034 super I've just not taken the time to reassemble after gathering parts .I had an 034 with an 036 cylinder that did real well which I traded off .
After saying that in stock form with the 036 cylinder it would lag slightly behind an 038 AV I had enhanced a little .

hedgerow

Holmen Tree 
I can't say I have ever made a living cutting trees. I know in the day when the 038 were new there were saws that would run rings around them. For me it was the first new saw I ever had and the fastest most powerful saw we had of the time. I have keep it around just because it was the first new saw I had. We cut a wide range of wood from willow to hedge and the 3/8 chain with a 20 bar worked great. We are just cleaning pastures and farm ground making around 15 cord firewood a year. Today the 038 sets in the cabinet most of the time and the 461 is the go to saw. 

Weekend_Sawyer

The Gift 038 ran good for a little while. Now it's hard to start and powers out. Sounds like it's running out of gas at WOT. I'm thinking it wants a close look at the lines and maybe run through the carb.
I haven't checked the compression but it pulls nice and hard. I took off the exhaust and the piston looks fine.

I don't have time to mess with it right now so on the shelf she goes until maybe this winter.

Jon

HolmenTree

hedgerow, I was just saying my experiences with the 038 in logging.
At that time if a 2 man crew of a faller and skidder operator couldn't average 20 cords of treelength softwood piled in the landing in a 8 hour day we were down the road out of a job.
For a homeowner or 10 cord a year firewood cutter you can't beat the 038AV for reliability and ease of working on. 
A very well made saw.

Thank You Sponsors!