iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting ready to cut some logs

Started by farmerscotty, October 19, 2006, 09:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmerscotty

Ok,  I have some nice white oak to cut for logs......have a crawler to use to pick up and drag out .......only thing is I don't know anything about cutting logs......My dad always told me we should keep logs since we could always sell them.......well time is running out.  3 miles from city limits in 2nd fastest growing county in Missouri.  I have a guy I know that is a buyer.....he bought a load off me last year, neighbor had guys cutting on him, they cut one load of my junky trees since I didn't want to cut much especially on %.  I have time and equipment to move logs up where loader truck can pick them up.  Last year they drug logs up and then the buyer come and they cut them where he said to.  I know I want to scale with international scale to sell with or at least that is what I have been told.

Anyone want to point me in the right direction being a 47 year old farmer with no idea what I am doing with the logs!

Thanks in advance.
Scott 8)
"A fool lives tomorrow reaching back for yesterday!"

Bro. Noble

We are going to cut logs in the morning as soonas we get done milking.  Going to cut some big red oaks that will scale from 300 to 500 bdft.  You are welcome to go with us and see how we do it.  We are in Ozark County.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

thecfarm

I would say it's impossible to explain on here how to cut a tree down with someone that has no idea.It's not only cutting it down,it's all the other things that could and does go wrong.That is dangerous.You all ready said I have no idea what I am doing with the logs.You better take Bro.Noble up on his offer.I have been around 2 people that was cutting small trees down and they had no idea.They really scared me.Probaly you have no time for classes.Grab you saw and head to Drury.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

farmerscotty

Ok I got started off here wrong.......I am able to fall trees  that I have been doing long time.  I just don't know what to do with them after I get them cut down!

Scott
"A fool lives tomorrow reaching back for yesterday!"

thecfarm

So you'll like me than.I don't really know what I am doing with my saw mill.That is one reason why I do not want to saw for others.But the horse barn is still standing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Wenrich

Your highest value lumber comes from logs with the least amount of knots.  What you are looking to do is to make the longest, straight, defect free log that you can make.  Some of those may be veneer quality.

Your next best quality would have the knots on 1 or 2 sides of the log.  Sometimes that can be positioned on the mill in such a way that the defects come off in the edgin boards.

When you get to the top portions of the tree, then you're looking for straight logs, since defects are generally so numerous that they can't be cut out.  These types of logs go for construction lumber, pallet stock and RR ties.

Things to keep in mind - logs need a minimum or 2" trim allowance.  That means that your logs should be left a little long.  RR tie logs need to be trimmed 8'8", since a tie is 8'6".

Most buyers only buy on the even foot.  They don't buy logs under 8' (with the exception of some walnut), or longer than 16' (with the exception of specialty orders).  Always start bucking at your butt end, as that is where there's the most value.

On some logs, you'll be able to buck off defect.  Crotches, rot and crook can be cut off a used as firewood.  They usually devalue a log.

Not to scare you off, but, log bucking is where all the lumber value is determined.  I can't stretch logs or add that 2' that you put on the next log. 

Michigan Tech developed a simulator a number of years ago, but, I don't know what has become of it.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

mike_van

A few things i've learned - Don't make 14 footers unless you have a need or a buyer for them. At least a 16 will make two 8's  if the need arises. One old saying was "above the first major crotch is firewood" - This is usually true, but if you do cut any with limbs, trim them off flush, they're a real chore to move with a piece sticking out.  Big bulges on the logs are probably where limbs died and the tree grew over it, just below the slab will be a huge knot.  And like Ron said, try to buck out defects - A 12 footer with a big hook to it probably should have been something else.  Big butt swells are better trimmed off too, the logs stack better.  There's no better teacher than OJT with a knowledgable logger, what they can show you in a few hours is priceless.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Thank You Sponsors!