iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting into R.O.W clearing

Started by SPMichigan, January 24, 2017, 08:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPMichigan

I am brand new to the forum and look forward to learning. I am in Michigan and we mainly do forestry mulching with our pt110f and would like to try and move some "eggs" around so I am not putting them all in one basket. Has anyone ever been a sub for a large row company? I do not have the equipment to bid those large jobs but I have access to 2 mulchers. Or for MDOT? Thanks in advance.

bucknwfl

Check with the power company and smaller co-ops. I use the large contractor for the big jobs but use local guys for the smaller jobs mowing distribution r.o.w

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

SPMichigan

Thank you, ill do that. Do you think they have to put it out for bid or not? I am sure the State and County's have to advertise a bid but probably not the power companies etc...

chevytaHOE5674

When i worked for a power company it was put out for bids. It was bid so much per mile/foot but you had to commit to X amount of miles and the only guys that could do that kind of volume were people like Asplundh, Davey etc. Local gas company UP here does do some smaller sections and puts it out for bid to smaller guys. 

Not sure about down there but UP here MDOT does almost all of their own mulching.

Corley5

The Wildlife Division of the MDNR let a contract last year for the re-clearing of overgrown wildlife openings.  You might get in touch with them?
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Larry

Years ago I did a lot of contract administration for the phone company.  Insurance requirements were complex enough that it shut out the small contractor unless they worked exclusively for the phone company.  One couldn't even sub-contract to a large contractor without going through the same insurance hoops.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SPMichigan

Thanks guys! I know MDOT down by us hires it out but there is a lot of hoops to jump through just to be invited to bid. Those large companies you mentioned, they don't ever look for subs?

chevytaHOE5674

We used to have Davey, Asplundh, and Trees Inc working for us and never once did they sub anything out. They had enough crews that they had everything covered. With all the training, certification, and insurance requirements it would have been way too much hassle to sub anything out.

SPMichigan

That's what I was thinking. Very hard to compete with them. I'd actually rather not, probably still worth trying to get my name in the door if something small was to come up.

bucknwfl

The bigger companies will bid out as I do. But....  I always put out a bid for work and award a PO for every company that applies or bids but I do it hourly.  That way I get lot of resources to pull from. Gives me multiple contractors to work with and weed out the good from the bad.  The safe and not so safe.  Safety is everything in the electric utility business. Even if they are crazy high priced I may never use them   But during a storm I will use everything I can get my hands on and I already have rates and contract set up and don't have to do a last minute dash on paper work

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

SFires

Start talking to the vegetation managers for the local CoOp's that are around you.  Not sure how much work you'll actually get with just mowers you really need something that can run out ahead and trim for ya. May look into finding an old skytrim or jaraffe then you'll be set and can start making the big bucks. Machanical crews can lay the trim down and cover a lot of ground fast. Pulse they can go where buckets can't
A man can always use more tools, more space,more wood, and a whole lot more time.

Thank You Sponsors!