iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Locust

Started by WNC, August 14, 2006, 12:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNC

Anyone sawed dried locust.  Looking for tips. Getting ready to give it a try.

Brad_S.

Welcome to the forum, WNC!  8) 8)

Despite it's hardness, locust really doesn't saw as badly as you think, even dry. Like any wood, a sharp blade will do the trick. Only tricky part about locust is that if the logs are small or you are taking thick cuts, you will often find tension wood which makes cutting consistent thickness lumber a problem, but there's not much you can do about that.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

scsmith42

WNC - welcome!

Re Locust, depends on the species.  Black and yellow locust are hard - honey and white are not.

I put up a fence last year with yellow locust posts.  Chainsaw chains dulled 20X faster than when cutting treated pine posts.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Greg

I personally have never seen a (black) locust tree get large enough and stay rot free enough to mill. I have often wondered where folks find solid logs to even bother milling lumber from.

Maybe its just the local soil or climate ???, but I'd say only 1 out of 10 the black locust on my place are rot free. None them over 10" in diameter...

Greg

Raphael

I know of one in Beacon NY that's ~40" DBH, over 40' to the first branch.  It appears to be very healthy.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

thecfarm

WNC,welcome to the forum.Stick around,this is a great place.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WNC

Thanks for your comments. I'll post you on how it goes. We have plenty of 20 inch yellow/black locust around here.

urbanlumberinc

I recently sawed a 33"dbh black locust that was aprox 90' tall and was free from rot.  I did a little research and found out that black locust was a favorite of the carpenters in the Royal Navy.  It was often used to fashion ship rigging on the tall ships.  As for the sawing of the stuff goes, have extra blades on hand cuz this stuff dulls cutters quickly.

Dan_Shade

I had a lead on a very large black locust this past weekend, unfortunately it ended up being mostly rotted and not worth too much :(
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

GregS

I have doing some beams and fence post lately with black locust and I agree the stuff dulls blades quick.  I love the musty mustard smell.  The lumber is very strong and everything I've read nice to work.  The log price is right if you can find decent logs. 

Frickman

Green locust doesn't saw too bad on a circle mill. The dry stuff will knock the corners off the teeth almost as fast as dirt and and will. I usually wait until my bits are almost worn out before I saw locust. That way I have an excuse to change bits.  ;)
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!