iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log locust

Started by JD_Kid, March 29, 2002, 10:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
i just got a video from petersons and in it they had a mill called the log locust it's a 6 inch swing blade mill powered by a dolmar PS 9000 or a stihl 088 anyone seen one or heard of them ,kinda made me think abit with not knowing IF i'd get much outside work for a starter this mill may fit the bill ,i know some of ya's have chainsaw mills how do the saws stand up to that kind of work or does it pay to have them detuned so not reving there heads off when not cutting.
catch ya
JD Kid
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
long weekends are a pain i'll have to hang fire for a few days to hear back from the makers i'll let ya's know what i find out ,on another note where are the chainsaw loggers ? i would have thought they would be saying do this and that and ya'll find a saw on a mill will last for years ..
catch ya
JD Kid

JD_Kid

Hi ya
well long weekend over so i got some info today..and did a few sum's, tossed coins,checked out the moss on the trees ..i wanted something at grass roots that with out spending big bucks i can add on to and i come up with a log locust powerhead ie PS 9000 dolmar on a ATS saw frame ..for under 10 000 kiwi ,5000 USD :o..funny set up you are saying  :D :D
i can take the powerhead off and have a 90cc chain saw to fell with and also use on the mill also with running a ATS  track the lowering and raseing is faster and if the demand is bigger than i thought i can put a bigger powerhead on it right up to 24 Hp with a 8 inch cut kinda handy as a bit of string set up for a new guy with lack of cash but leaves room to grow with out buying a whole new mill,, once i get it i'll get some pics for ya's  
catch ya
JD Kid

Tom

I'd like to see pictures of that JD.  You Fabrication type guys on the Forum amaze me with some of the stuff you put together whether it be bought or built. :P

JD_Kid

Hi ya tom
for a while i thought i was talking to my self  :D bigger worry was i was answering myself ;D ;D yea it is a diffrent way of doing things but with what i want to do ,time on my hands ,start up cost and being able to up grade and to get good use out of the power head  it does stack up ..to get some idea of what it will look like go to this site

http://www.petersonsawmills.com

sorry it's not clickable ,then look at models you will see the log locust and also the ATS  mills pic putting the log locust powerhead and blade on to the ATS tracks .that will give ya some idea of what it will look like .the log locust tracks have 2 locking collers on each upright to lower ya drop the bottom coller say 4 inch tighten then drop the top one holding the rail  on each corner to lower the tracks the ATS  on the other hand has a pulley set up on each side so faster to lower when milling ,you will also see how it would be hard to upgrade the log locust  where the ATS  has alot of room to grow into a bigger mill ..
catch ya
JD Kid

Tom

Naw.......a fellow won't talk to himself too long around here. :D

We have circle millers that ought to be interested in what you are doing and I have great admiration for the versatility of a swing blade even if I run a bandmill.  We don't have a big swingblade following on the forum yet but it has to start somewhere, doncha know.

Peterson has made a pretty good run at the USA and I see at least one sold on site every time I go to an Agricultural show.  Lucas is popular as well but I've not been in the right place at the right time to see one operate.

There's been a many a time I wished I had one to cut a big log in the backyard of an Urban home with fences and 4 foot gates.

That Log on the home page of Peterson's Web Site is a huge thing, isn't it.

JD_Kid

Hi ya Tom
yep the log is of good size ,ya would know what ya were doing for a day or two milling that sucker..i got to place a order today for my mill and should see it in the next 2-3 weeks ,that will also give he time to find a flash box browie to take some pics :D
catch ya
JD K

Ron Wenrich

JD

It's not that no one listening, it's just that we don't know that much about swingblade mills.

I'm sort of toying with the idea on swingblade mills.  I think there might be a market to mill logs too big to be put through conventional mills.  

Most mills run into these from time to time.  The only options they have is to quarter it with a chain saw (time consuming), try to run it through the mill (expensive), or sell it down the road (often at a lower price).  

Working with mills would mean that there is a way to move the material, and there will always be someone to help.

I''ve seen orders for really large timbers.  Right now I could supply a few 10x20 and I've seen orders as large as 24" stock.  Those are fairly hard to mill on a conventional circle mill, even if you have the logs.  

I've also know there are a few calls for really long timbers from timber framers - up to 40'.  I believe you could mill them with a swingblade mill in the right setting.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

JD_Kid

Hi ya Ron
thats another thing with the mill i'm looking at is ya can add more track to cut long boards ,and have heard of guys running long tracks so while milling one log someone can be setting up another one,with the biggest peterson mill ya can mill 10 X 20  (just what ya do with a beam that size i don't know ?river crossings?)some mills with a slabber  could cut bigger beams ..i have noticed alot of ya have band saws but for what i want to do and size of some logs they don't realy fit the bill .once i get up and running with this mill 8) i'll be able to answer some things for others looking at mills
catch ya
JD Kid  

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
well come monday i sign on the line,put my money where my mouth is etc etc and buy my mill as noted i'm getting a log locust with a ATS track ,but theres more (reads like one of those ad's late on TV :D) there is a slabber that holds ya chainsaw and bar for slabbing kinda cheep BUT wise/tight fisted man's starting mill as one power head can log,mill and slab (who said ya can't have cake and eat it too ;) )will take about 3 weeks to get tho :'( ,i know same will say it's under powered and in some ways thats true but if i find my milling needs are greater i can upgrade ..i'll keep ya posted on what happens
catch ya
JD Kid

Paul_H

I think you probably know whats best for your situation.It sounds like a good way to get your feet wet,milling. 8)

Also,because it was built " down unda",rotation of the mill should not be a problem ;)

Send pictures when it arrives

Paul
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Frank_Pender

Ron. the best mill I have found for over sized logs is the Mobile Dimension Sawmill.  One that I have can do logs 4 1/2' in diam. and 24' long.  You can get units with risers that go to 6' and cut a 6' log.  I wish now I had, had 6' risers this last Summer, as I had some 6' Sequoia logs I would not have had to cut into quarters with my 066 Stihl.  I spoke with a fellow in Myrtle Point, Oregon this evening and he still has much Old Growth on his place, and is seriously  thinking of getting a MDMill.  When I have the logs all lined up and ready to hit the mill bunks I can cut 3000' a day by myself.   But, alas, I am retired and work hard enough just to satify my aged ego and only do about 1,500' a day,  at the most, any     more. 8)
Frank Pender

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
Well i thought it was time to dust this off again and update ya's ..i have done 2 days sawing with this mill ,ok ok i have had it awhile but it's been wet and other things have taken over milling time .for the milling i'm doing this set up is ok if doing more beams or higher output needed then a bigger motor and blade would be a must ..setting up is eazy and in time i'll have it down to a finer art ,all in all not a bad setup for a part time user ..i have not got any pics for ya's tho as i have not got a new box brownie yet but a mate may be coming out soon so i'll use his
catch ya
JD Kid

Eggsander

JD,
Good choice on the mill, hope it suits your needs. I didn't catch this thread the first time around. I got my 8" Peterson production mill last fall. So far I love it. There's definately a lot to learn. The best I've found is by spending the time milling and trying different things (and by checking in here on the the Forum regularly  ;) )
Good Luck, if you have any questions put 'em on here and maybe we can help you out.  :)
Steve

Thank You Sponsors!