iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Colder mornings

Started by huskyxp, December 02, 2014, 06:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

huskyxp

Today is our first morning it has been below freezing and as I sit in harvester waiting for her to warm up I was curious what everyone else's morning procedure is? Let equipment warm up or put it to floor N go? I have heard diff opinions on this but I always wait at least till heat comes out my heater n heat gauge has 3 bars  :) happy cuttin

chevytaHOE5674

Our processor/forwarder both have pre-heaters on them so we set the timers for about 2 hours before we want to start working. Get out to the woods and the pre-heater has the motor/cab/ and some of the hydraulics warmed up, so we just cycle the cranes around to get them warmed up and then go to work.

sshier

Above 20 degrees we let them warm for at least 15-20 min below we plug in to generator for while then start and let warm up for 15 - 20 min. Buncher won't throw heat until you run it out for 20 min.

clww

We usually warm up each piece of gear (dozer, excavator, track loader) for at least 15 minutes prior to operation year round.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

barbender

I set the preheater, that's running when I arrive. I start the machine, if it's warmer than 15°F or so, I let the machine run for 15 minutes just to let the hydraulics circulate a bit. If it's colder than that, I raise the crane and leave my grapple rotating (I jam a hydraulic cap or something in the joystick), and let it run for 20 minutes or more, depending on how cold it is.
Too many irons in the fire

Firewood dealer

I like to get thing running, go back to my truck and drink my coffee. when I get done with that I start working. Never timed it.

Maine logger88

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

David-L

X3, better when warm. Me and the machine.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

huskyxp

Good info, first I heard of preheater but goin to look into it as I run 68 hyd , found old thread on proheat! Thks

BargeMonkey

Just went thru all the batteries last time home, nothing worse than fighting a cold machine and bad batteries. We have alot of wind up here, and the temps can swing 20 degrees in a few miles with the cold setting in the valley. We have 5-6 days a yr i dont even bother, to hard on stuff getting going, spend 1/2 a day chasing machines to get very little done sometimes. We got smart and put our processor / sawmill in a building, never run out of something to do in the cold weather.

Thank You Sponsors!