iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Post Oak in East Texas

Started by Geotech, July 18, 2018, 05:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geotech

Hello all.  I've purchased some property in east Texas for recreational purposes.  It's 24 acres loaded with post oaks, a handful of cedar and fewer other species I have yet to identify.  I'll be getting a tractor at the end of the year to do some clearing and cleaning.  Some trees will come down in the process of being about my business on the land.  That said, I have been thinking about getting a sawmill to put those trees to constructive use.  Plus it looks like fun.  I think I would like to cut thick slabs for resale and/or making tables (maybe for resale if I can hack anything good together).  It would be nice to make some money on the side (very part time) to support the habit.

I expect to buy the cheapest mill from Woodland Mills with a trailer, unless there is a better value proposition out there.  I've enjoyed reading through many posts on the forum and welcome any input.  

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Texas Ranger

Hey, GeoTech, welcome to the forum.  What part of east Texas?  We seem to be getting more and more Texans!
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Geotech

My property is in Ben Wheeler.

thecfarm

It's nice to own land. LOTS of it. Keeps neighbors away.
Welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SawyerTed

Welcome to the forum.  Don't expect too much from a manual mill.  Even with a hydraulic mill, one has to take the advertised bdft per hour to be a best case scenario with experienced sawyer and help. Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but be realistic in what you can do as a weekend warrior.

My best advice is hire a portable band sawmill for a day and help/learn all you can. Then see if you still have the sawdust addiction.

You may find it more advantageous to hire a mill for what you want to do.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Lawg Dawg

See if you can find you an LT-15 (used,good deal). You can add power feed later, and get the legendary Woodmizer customer service. I run one for 7 years and probably sawed 500,000 bf with it. Was still running/sawing good when I sold it. Good luck, you'll love it. Don't let anyone discourage you :). Corey
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

bwstout

If you really want a challenge   build you one. Then you will know ever thing about your mill there are some great post and DIY information here.  But let be quick to say it probable is not cheaper if you have to buy all of the material to build one.  I could have bought the LT15 wide for about the same price I have in my mill because I bought all the material new. I am just a hobbyist.  I got into sawmilling because I  love wood turning and cutting bowl blanks from logs with a chain saw was about more than this ol body could do so now I cut 3 to 6 inch slabs then cut chucks off with a chain saw. But then that led to build some cedar chest for my 4 daughters then it went to the grandkids on and on and on. You will find yourself looking for a tree to saw once you get a little sawdust in your blood ;D  So welcome to the forum
home built mill

Thank You Sponsors!