iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Killed a rattler

Started by GATreeGrower, April 14, 2013, 05:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GATreeGrower

On the right you will see the implement used

POSTON WIDEHEAD

That's a pair of boots....and maybe a wallet to boot.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Mooseherder

Chuck White

Wow!

That's one reason I like the North, one less thing we have to be watching out for.

We have enough problems without them!

Seen my share of rattlers in my travels, but never one that big!   :o
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Texas Ranger

I know I have posted these before, but, Jeff just loves them.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

GATreeGrower

red oaks lumber

what was the snake doing that it had to be killed?
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

GATreeGrower

It chased me onto the bed of my truck...at that point I decided to kill it.  Gave it to a guy who does trapping around here, hopefully he can use it for something.

Al_Smith

Wrong place wrong time evidently .

I got nothing against snakes but if every a poisonous one ever showed up on my property he'd never make it off .I value my grandchildren more than any snake .

clww

Must be some warm down there for the snakes to out and "chasing" people already. I killed one copperhead up at the cabin last year. I feel the same as Al-near the buildings is too close to children and the dogs.
How many rattles? :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

GATreeGrower

Yeah I agree Al Smith...my dog runs all over my woods....and that rattler no doubt would have done him in.

GATreeGrower

clww

That's quite a few. Many times, once they get a big bunch of jewelry hanging off their tail, they snag and break off.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

justallan1

I haven't seen that size rattler since I left northern California.
In this part of Montana we have bunches of them, just not that big and I kill every one of them I see. We have cattle, horses, dogs, pets and kids around the ranch and just can't take a chance.
Allan

coxy

awsome  keep up the good work :)       only good snake is a dead snake :)

gwilson

I kill any poisonous snake I see. I don't like knowing that they are hanging around. But a black snake Ill let go especially if he is away from the house. Felling a tree last summer I looked up to meet a big one coming down the trunk out of a knot hole...Makes your heart skip a beat.

Corley5

OMG  :o  I'm glad critters like that don't exist up here  8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

rooster 58

Got a timber rattler that size two years ago. He won't bother my dog ;)

celliott

This is why I like where I live. The only natural things that'll try to kill me is the weather.
And we don't have tornados, earthquakes are fairly rare, and I actually like the cold and the snow. I'll stick to the north  :snowman:
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

GATreeGrower

When my aunt and uncle from east TN come to visit and quail hunt, they dress up like commandos to go in our woods.  And I keep the woods pretty clean.  Most of the time I only see snakes crawling away from me.  This guy decided to turn the tables I guess.

drobertson

Mercy sakes! big un'  that one would have left a mark for sure,  we had what was believed to be a pigmy rattler hit my mini schnauser,  never saw the snake, just a possibility the vet suggested. small bite pattern with the typical resulting damage effecting the bite area, lost all the hair with the skin turning blackened. It took awhile, but she recovered.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Texas Ranger

I think the pygmy, along with copper heads, bother me the most, small enough to be unnoticed just laying there.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Busy Beaver Lumber

When I lived in West Milford New Jersey, there was a state park called WayWayYanda State park. The State of New Jersey had concern over the ever dwindling timber rattler population, so in their infinite wisdom, they released 1000 of the critters into the state park.

Wawayanda State Park is a 34,350 acre state park in Sussex County and Passaic County in northern New Jersey. The park is in Vernon Township on the Sussex side, and West Milford on the Passaic side. There are 60 miles (96 km) of hiking trails in the park, including a 20-mile (32 km) stretch of the Appalachian Trail and the dens of thousands of timber rattle snakes thanks to the New Jersey Division of Parks and Forestry.

Only two big problems, nobody told the snakes to stay inside the state park limits or where those limits might be and within two years the population on my property increased exponentially, much to the demise of the poor misguided snakes who came to visit my property. Even had one crawl inside my garage and give need to a changing of my shorts after dealing with him. One year alone i killed almost two dozen of them, for the same reason as others mentioned, because they were not going to kill my daughter of our family dog if I had any say in the matter.

Second problem was that the park was frequented often by people from Bergen and Passaic County and also from Newark and the surrounding area where they would not know a rattle snake from an earth worm, nor would they expect to encounter one since they were very scarce, if not unheard of,  in their home towns. Bet you can guess how some of those encounters turned out. Another fine example of  "Were from government and here to help you".
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

clww

What an idea: release "extra" poisonous snakes in a public-access area. :o That's bureaucracy at its finest!
Thinking even more on this, why not add viscous dogs and a toxic waste dump there, too?!?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Al_Smith

Well I suppose they could import about 500 mongoose the deal with the snakes .The weasels would probabley get the snakes then breed like rats and before too long they'd have a million mongoose the deal with .

I sometimes wonder what in the world some of those environmentilest types are thinking .People in general do not like poisonous snakes for a reason .

Just look at history .The people in Ireland made Patrick a saint .Now weather he acually drove the snakes out of Ireland I can't say because obviously I wasn't there .Non the less good old St Pat gave us a day of celebration when everybody is Irish .On that day I'm Al O'Smith . ;)

Thank You Sponsors!