iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fair price on this 880

Started by Lostalaskan, March 21, 2019, 11:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lostalaskan

Looking at stepping up from my 395xp to either a 3120 or 880. This saw came up for sale. New B&C, but unknown history (2nd owners). I would check for scoring but dont have compression tester. If it runs what would you offer? Thanks 

Lostalaskan

If it matters, I would mainly use it for milling Valley oaks over 36".

Lostalaskan

I was able to get ahold of the owner, a local saw shop just replaced the piston, cylinder and clutch.

lxskllr

Somewhere around $1k would get you in the ballpark, and wouldn't be offensive, no?

edit:
Just musing, but why would you put a new b&c on a saw you were selling, especially a beast like that? I'd think someone wanting that saw would have particular needs in mind, and a new b&c wouldn't add much to the equation, especially with a laminated bar. Where I'm going with this is I wonder if they're trying to pretty up a dog?

Greenerpastures

I would go with a new Husky if you can.
There would be no point in selling that Stihl after putting a new barrel and piston in it,
unless you knew something was not not right with it, OR you were going out of business
and selling for this reason. also, is the replacement cylinder and piston OEM or some china setup.
I would not be confident in buying that saw unless I could figure which of the OR's it is.

Lostalaskan

Thanks guys, he is asking $1,800 and I was thinking around $800 or $900 if it was clean (a big separation in asking vs offering anyways). Your advice seals the deal.

sawguy21

$1800 would buy a brand new one. It looks like it has seen little use yet was just rebuilt and has new b&c? I would be very wary of that one.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

wild262

Just talk to the dealer if that's possible.  Could be wrong but I don't think there's many if any china 880 kits out there.  And the price leads me to believe he's up front with what he claims.  Sharp looking saw. But just don't anybody's word for it just the same.  If possible, pull the muffler off and take a peak.  Try to get him down on price.  Cash in hand is your friend here.  Good luck. :)

Greenerpastures

Just be careful, if something smells, then walk.
As mentioned 800.00 more for a new one, with warranty,
and if your registered for tax, then can you claim some back against it.
It could be a good enough saw, may be hire it for a day and give it a good try.

Lostalaskan

The plot thickens...

Called trying to pry from them what shop did the work and ended with them saying they did the work themselves. For all I know they are small engine masterminds but it just doesn't smell right. Back to hunting.

Bthomasb3

Sounds like your making the right decision leave it where you found it .Im buying new from now on. I looked at a used 361 and a hr later found out one was just stolen from a guy. We all dont need that crap. 

ehp

last 880 with 47 inch bar I just bought was $1648 in Canadian money so he WAY off base

Thank You Sponsors!