iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidding logs with a tractor

Started by Gordon, December 26, 2000, 09:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

Even the baby Farmall Cub can get it on the action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrQAuQJqwSk&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Cubs are very small and can get in little itty bitty spaces. But I would not recommend buying one for the purpose of logging. But if you have one, you can do a little with it. That is what my Grandfather used. It is about the right size to make good use of one of those Logrite arches like some of you use with your 4-wheelers. Cubs are asymmetric cultivating tractors-- the engine and drive train are offset to the left. You should not use Cubs or other asymmetric tractors on steep hillsides. If you do, be sure to keep the engine side uphill.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

Here's a 76-year-old steel-wheeler getting in on the action-- seems like it may need the carburetor adjusted. Old tractors never die, they just get new owners

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cTWscXzy0k
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Okrafarmer

Ha! This character is hilarious. Reminds me of some of my neighbors. Watch how he "discovers" pulling logs with a tractor. He does quite well for a beginner. Just love the running commentary. He cracks me up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c4JEmE_ryE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rplJgFOdkA&feature=related

He uses the small John Deere M, which is slightly smaller than a Ford 8N. Notice that it actually does quite well with the great big hickory log. Hickory is one of the heaviest woods we have in the US. He did a drawbar pull with long chain (awkward, but he did all right). The model M is too small, and has too small of wheels for me to recommend it for serious logging, but notice that even baby tractors like the M can account for themselves quite well.

sandhills

Oh thanks a lot Okra, now I want a M  ;).  I grew up on 2 cylinders and 4010/20's and my cousin has a little 40 that's cuter tan a bug's ear, but that little M is just cool.  I've never been around the old Olivers much but always heard they were a good tractor and have always wanted one....for reasons unknown I guess (other than to say I have one).  We used to have a JD 60 and it didn't have power steering, our 70 diesel did from factory, but more often than not wished it didn't have it.  You could get  power steering for them from Behlen MFG. in Columbus Ne. which usually worked much better than the factory units but now I'm sure you'd have to find used units being all these tractors are "antiques" now.  Doesn't matter the brand, those old tractors are still some of the best runners and pullers made, thanks for the videos.

thecfarm

Dragging the logs so they dig up the dirt is also bad for the ground. Every time it rains,the water will stay in that dug up place and keep the ground soft. Than if you drove through it,it stirs up the mud and you go deeper. My Father was VERY fussy with this. If the log was too big and we could not get it up in the air enough with the hyds we would saw about half way through the log about 2 feet and use some iron wedges and a sledge hammer and split that piece. Than we would put the draw bar under the split out piece and chain it to the bar.This made it so there was no turning of the log also. But we never took out more than one at a time this way. Logging with just chains and hyd arms you are lucky to get 2 out at a time. Hard to get good size logs just right. Just as easy to take one and come back. Easy on your body that way.
I would not mind having a smaller tractor too out in the woods. I have a 40 hp NH now. Works good,but have to cut roads to get around most of the time.We use to have a small BX 1800,18hp. I use to put our garden tractor on it and sneak around the woods with it. I have one piece that is pretty smooth and not that rocky. I cleaned up alot with that, Never hauled much,but it got the job done. Not like I, was getting paid by the cord. I did not have to really cut any trees because they was in the way. My Uncle had a cub,but they brought every thing out on a trailer,probably due to no hyds on the back and probably they could haul more out at one time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed

Couple of older pics of me skidding a Soft Maple log with my NH 2120. Some don't like pulling on the top link, never had any problems.

Ed

Green Acres

Took a nervous break down or got burt out in the office.  I am some glad I worked with my father in the woods from 14 years old to 20 because I went back to doing what I liked.  I now am playing in the woods with my L 4740 and wallenstine logging winch.  When the going is good I cut 5 white birch trees 10 to 14 inch at the butt and drag them out with my tractor and winch.  Three loads I have about a cord of wood. It takes me about 45 minutes to haul a cord 1000 feet. I have a bucket and a set of forks and load them up with each twitch. The loaded forks or buck adds up at the end of the day and keeps the tractor from rearing up. Never had any problems but always played it safe and took it easy.  I do make sure I have a good road to travel on by either cutting the stumps low or digging them out.  I also plan where the road is going before cutting because yes you are restricted some when using a tractor. 

I enjoy being in the woods and I cannot wait until the snow level here in NewBrunswick goes down enough so I can cut some more firewood.

Enjoy.

Okrafarmer

Nice pictures, Ed!

Green Acres, sounds like you are working fairly efficiently there. Good to hear.

Thank You Sponsors!