iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tree with pattern in wood

Started by Michael NY TF, April 06, 2014, 09:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael NY TF

Hi, I cut down this tree yesterday (upstate NY) and noticed an interested red pattern in the wood. Any ideas on an ID? Thanks.

caz

isawlogs

Yep, box elder, manitoba maple and a whack of other names  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Farmerjw

So are those vertical streaks red?  And if they are, is this flaming box elder?? (I am being serious)
Premier Bovine Scatologist

SwampDonkey

My grandfather cut a huge one down years ago in the yard, a good 30" through, and bucked it up and hauled it back on the hill to rot. Never even used it for firewood. I remember how red/pink the heartwood was to.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Michael NY TF

coxy

did not know that grew in ny thought it only grew in the south     how far up state do you live    how much more do you have  that would look nice made in chairs with my cherry table with curly maple boarder

SwampDonkey

Coxy it's up here in NB everywhere in the settlements because everyone planted the stuff and it spreads like a bad weed. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

coxy

wow SD its a wonder it don't freeze to death up there :laugh: what is it mostly used for or is it junk wood ;D

SwampDonkey

It's hardy, but has a lot of die-back on the branch tips. It grows natural on the Prairies in Canada. Can't be no colder than them Prairies. ;D We don't use it at all around here, except someone possibly burns it for fall heat. The only burning I did with it was bonfires to get rid of it. ;D

I think the neighbors have tossed some in their OWB. One of theirs went down, and I think they was 3 years burning it, just tossed a stick in once in awhile. I kind wondered what was taking so long cleaning up that tree. They would just cut as needed, a couple chunks off. Might never go near it again for months. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!