iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If shipping costs via cargo ships/truck decrease what will happen to wood prices

Started by LumberLarvae, January 16, 2016, 08:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumberLarvae

As technology develops and we find more and more ways to power the world we will innevitably find cheaper ways to transport goods so I was thinking and I assume wood prices will decrease if in the future; shipping costs decrease, however I am just looking for more of a professional opinion?

starmac

I may be wrong, but lumber shipping prices have always been more or less bottom of the barrel, there just isn't much wiggle room in the freight price on it.
I ran the lower 48 for years hauling freight, The only time I would ever haul lumber was just to get home, The last several years I wouldn't even do that, and would just deadhead head home, or to where I could get a paying load.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

beenthere

lumber larvae

Click on your forum name, and it will take you to where you can update your profile with at least your location. Will help to understand your posts.
Am sure when you read others' posts, that knowing their location helps get a visual pic.. If they are in south africa or sweden, makes for better interp. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gearbox

A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

furltech

It has been my observation that everything decreases the value of the wood i cut  8)

Thank You Sponsors!