iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swamp Donkey season is fast approaching

Started by DonT, September 15, 2002, 08:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonT

Only another 15 days and I leave for Northern Ontario for our annual moose hunting expedition.Only 14 hours of driving and 8 Tim Hortons and I am there.does anyone else on the board hunt moose ? If so i would be interested in hearing about it.    DonT

WV_hillbilly

DonT

I haven't went yet but planning to in next year or so. We have been trying to get New Hampshire permits but not lucky enough so far. The  odds are 1 in 50 to draw a nonresident tag. Maybe you could give me some pointers on booking one of these trips where you go. Ever since I went bear hunting in New Brunswick 12 years ago and seeing on of those beasts at 35 yards I ' ve wanted to wack one

Hillbilly
Hillbilly

DonT

As I mentioned we go to northern ontario.The best moose populations in the province seem to be in northwestern ontario.We have had reasonable luck hunting north of Thunder Bay.I usually go with a group, but this year it is just my father and I going.We did not draw an adult validation tag so we can only harvest(politically correct for shoot)calves.If i was coming to Ontario to hunt moose,i would be looking for someplace in Nothwestern Ontario.All non-residents must hunt through an outfitter,the outfitter supplies the tags.I believe most outfitters have a package deal that they offer.I know the camp that i stay at usually has 12-15 non resident bow hunters in camp when I get there, and I believe it costs them about 350-400 a person.I have a friend that has a summer house in NewFoundland and he says there are all kinds of moose there.They are an amazing animal to watch,they are so big and yet they effortlessly walk across clearcuts and swim lakes.They can be a lot of work as well,my last bull was shot at 8am and was back at camp and hung up at 4:30 that afternoon.To get an idea try a search of Klotz lake camp,or wildgoose lake resort.   DonT

Tom

What kind of weapon do you use for hunting now that Canada has made it so difficult to own or import a firearm?

DonT

Hi,Tom   I personally use a ruger RSI in 30-06 with federal premium ammo and the nosler partition bullet.My father started using a browning A bolt in 300 winchester short magnum.other popular calibres include the 300win mag and 308,270, you would also be amazed at how many moose are shot with a 30-30.I regularly practice out to 300yds at home but do not feel comfortable taking a shot over 150yds in the field,to many things can go wrong at long ranges.I am sure most gun owners in the states find our gun laws very complicated,however they are not as bad as the media would have you believe.To purchase a gun i go to the gun store buy it,the store calls the registration centre and I go home with my gun.i recieve a registration card about a week later.To buy ammunition you must present your possesion and aquisistion card at point of purchase.I am hoping to archery hunt for moose for the first time next year.   DonT

Corley5

Swamp donkey.  So if a moose is a swamp donkey is a whitetail a swamp goat?
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV_hillbilly

DonT

I know you're a good fella cause you shoot a Ruger. They make some darn fine shootin irons. I just picked up a  #  1 in 30-06 . It shoots great. I can hardly wait to start bustin some whitetails with it this year. In West Virginia we can legally kill 10 deer a year .

I will look into NW ontario for moose hunting for next year. We try to take a big game hunt away from home everyother year. So far went to North Carolina, Pennsylvania , Maine, Colorado ,and New Brunswick.But regularlly hunt WV and Ohio. My wife becomes a huntin widow from the monday before Thanksgiving till the third week in Jan. cause I usually hunt every day during that time period. ;)

Hillbilly
Hillbilly

Ron Scott

I'm pleased to see the good words on the Ruger. I have two model 77, 30-06's. The most accurate guns I've hunted with, though I always have a "back-up"should a scope go bad during the hunting season; don't want to take the time or do scope repairs in the "deep woods".

~Ron

DonT

Ruger does make a fine firearm I also use a mannlicher 6.5x54(for deer) it is the gun that inspired Bill Ruger to create the model 77.I really like the integral scope mounts ,one of the strongest mounting systems I have come across.When moose hunting I usually carry a .22 cal. pellet pistol for grouse it is not uncommon to see 30-40 birds a day.We can only harvest one antlered deer a year in my area if you want to shoot an antlerless deer you must apply for a special draw.Corley5 I like your thought process-swamp donkey=moose,Swamp goat=deer,I prefer to think of deer as hood ornaments as I average 1 a year with my truck.  DonT

SawBilly

Well with the exception of the elusive local moose, the only thing big in Arkansas is our heads. So I hunt with a Ruger .243. I custom loaded (reloaded) my ammo, was quite impressed if I do say so myself...5 rounds within a dime..250 yards.   8)

Tom

The only Moose around here hunt each other.   The lodge gets to be a busy watering hole at the end of the week.

Bro. Noble

If I were going moose hunting (which I probably never will)  I'd have to use an old 95 win 30-40 Kraig or a 71 Win. 348.  I don't have any new guns and kinda like the old ones anyway.

Ron,

I'll bet you get some funny looks when you tell people your .22 pellet pistol is your backup gun.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

WV_hillbilly

In our region in Ohio you can kill 2 deer per year  1 has to be a doe and the other 1 can be a buck or doe.

In West Virginia Heres the count.

Urban deer hunt       2 deer either sex with bow
   Regular bow season  2 deer either sex
   Regular rifle season  2 bucks
   Anerless season      3 does
   Muzzleloader           1 either sex

With this kind of bag limits we still can't control the increase of the herds in certain areas. I think I should get a discount on my vehicle insurance cause of the preventative maintenance I do for the insurance industry around here. Not to brag but for the last 14 years I average 7 deer per year.Around my house if you come for dinner you had better like deer meat cause thats what is going to be on the table. its about all we eat year round in the meat department.My mother in law only eat veggies and dessert here cause she won't eat Bambi's mom.But that just leaves more for me  

Its nice to see other people that appreciate what the late Bill Ruger has done for our country by producing many fine shooting guns that the working man could afford  to buy and be proud to own.The scope mounting is second to none in my eyes also.  

Hillbilly      ;D
Hillbilly

DonT

It would be nice to get more than one tag for deer a year,we only have a 6 day rifle season.However we do party hunt,meaning you can hunt with a number of people in one party and harvest the same number of deer as people that you have in your party(ie 5 hunters you are allowed five deer)has anyone  ever read a book by Robert Lofgren called "The old moose hunter" it is a great read.I believe he was from Rush Falls Minnesota.It really gives you an idea of what moose hunting used to be.
Noble that .348 win would work just fine.I find a range finder useful when hunting some of the bigger cuts,that Bull that you think is 500yds away is actually700,to far to shoot of course,some of the old clearcuts are massive,stretching in a couple that I know of for 10-20km.
For all the deer hunters What would be considered a big deer for your area,most of Ontario uses body weight as a judge of size.180lbs field dressed is a nice buck,but not big,200>225 field dressed is a big buck and 225>250 field dressed is a real big buck in my area.   DonT

Tom

I'm excited about the definition of a "Urban Deer Hunt".  The picture I conjure up is a Coon-Skin-Capped, leather-britches, moccasin-footed, bearded, mountain man with a Long Tom, peeking around the corner of the RCA building in New York City.

Would that be likened to the Urban Forester surveying the potted trees on the sidewalk for a clear-cut?

Ha, I'd like to see what my mind could come up with for an Urban Logger but, I can't get Arborist out of my head. :D

Believe I'll have another big orange ;D

Tillaway

Deer season...ack... my wife might make go.  Unlike allot of guy's my wife wants me to go.  Unfortunately I think of it as just another chore, best to be put off until I can't buy a tag for the season and get out of it.  I have a real hard time getting up early in the morning on my days off to go walking around in the woods, it reminds me of work.  Moose hunting seems like allot more work, I know Elk hunting is. ::)

An old family friend was working in BC as a Forester / Forest Engineer and decided he wanted to go Moose hunting.  He could not quite figure out why all the experienced hunters would only road hunt.  Long story short he shot one about 1/4 mile from the road on his first day hunting.  He got it out by quartering it up and fabricating a strecther arrangement between two pack frames.  After that he understood you didn't shoot Moose futher than a cable will reach from the road.  The loggers only shot them if they could get their skidder to it.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Tom

Every lining has a cloud. (&$*&^%%$.....I mean "every cloud has a silver lining", Tillaway.  Let me tell you what you gotta do.

You get all excited about going hunting.  Get you some warm clothes and some warm pajamas and a nice big tent and go buy a kerosene heater and a camp lantern and stove and mattress and blankets and cot and all that stuff that makes a good camp.

When you get off of work on Friday, run home and get your already packed gear and head for the woods.  A place previously picked out that is not to far from a grocery store or movie or other entertainment.  Put up your tent, light your heater and crawl in for the evening.  When  morning comes, don't get up.  Turn over and go back to sleep.  Your radio might even get a good music station. about noon fix some coffee and something to eat, get out a good book and lay back down.  For supper you could go to a resturant and catch a movie then go back and curl up in on the cot again.  You'll probably find some good snacks at the grocery store that you want to bring back with you.  

Sunday. about noon, or whenever you want to get up, break camp and pack everything for the next hunting trip.  Get in the truck and go home.   Who ever said that you had to come home with any game.  The odds are against you anyway, so, nobody will doubt you.   You'll get home in enough time to be waited on, fed supper and slip into bed so that you get some rest for you "hard day" at work on Monday.

Now eventually you might find some of your buddies that would rather hunt like this than sit on the side of the road in the weather.  You could all meet at the camp and, if you're lucky, a card game might break out.  If one of them wants to go for a walk in the woods with his gun, then you might even end up with some venison to take home.

The trick is to look real weary when walk into the house so you can go next time. ;D

Corley5

I'm not up on the deer bag limits here this year.  I'm a real good DNR Wildlife Div. Employee.  The past few years it's been whack em and stack em in the NE part of the state in the TB zone.  I think the permits were something like $3.00 and you could by as many as you thought you could fill.  These were anterless only tags or bucks with antlers less than 3".  We've also been issuing disease control permits to farmers who are near where a TB positive deer or cattle herd has been identified along with crop damage permits when upon inspection obvious damage has been done to the crop by deer.  It is also easier now to get a private land antlerless permit.  You only need five acres and don't need a property tax ID# anymore.  I'm surprised we've got any deer left :o.
  I've got a Ruger 77 varmit/target rifle in stainless with the heavy barrel and chambered for 22-250.  It's pretty wicked.  That 22-250 round is impressive.  The combo rifle, cartridge and scope is super, super acurate.  I've also got a Mini-14 Ranch in stainless with a Redfield 3-9x scope.  It's a LOT of fun to shoot especially with forty round mags.  My favorite plinker is a 10-22 Ruger also in stainless.  Yes I like Ruger firearms.  If I was going on a moose hunt I'd probably take my 270 Win Mod 70 and as a back up my 280 Rem Mod 700 with the short barrel but then there's that 700 7MM mag that would do the job and it'd be a good excuse to buy a scope for it or the......      
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tillaway

Tom
That might work for most wives.... my wife expects results.  If I go, she sets the table expecting me to bring home dinner.

I shot a little fork horn mulie when she was with me years ago.  She ran up to it, knife out, yelling "It's mine ...it's mine.... dinner"!  My sister in law hears my shot and comes over to see if I got anything.  My wife and sister in law dressed it out before I had a chance to start.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Bro. Noble

When I was in my 20's and worked in town, I was fishing or hunting every evening and all weekends. After moving to the farm I did for a little while.  We have two streams and good deer and turkey hunting.  After a while I got to where after a 14 or 16 hour day I'd rather go to the house, turn the thermostat to 75, turn on some music and hit the recliner.

I would quail hunt but we no longer have enough quail.  About the only way I could get interested in moose hunting would be by canoe.

I do try to canoe here at home once a year-----either when there is a fresh snow on the ground or in the spring when the dogwood is blooming.  In either case the water is crystal clear and I have the creek to myself.

I still stop to watch wild critters while cutting logs, haying, or moving cattle.  This evening I spent 30 minutes watching a hog-nose snake try to convince my pup that he was a cobra.  They finally got bored with one another and went their separate ways and I went to milk.  

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Bibbyman

I hunted a lot when I was a kid.  Fished a little too.  Now about the only time I get to hunt is during the regular rifle deer season.  I generally use one of my single-shot 45/70s.  I've even killed one button buck with a model 68 Trapdoor Springfield in 50/70. Even got one once with a Tompson Contender in 35 Remington.

In modern rifles,  I use Marlin 1895 in 45/70 or a sporterized 03 Springfield in 30-06.  

This is my son Chris' first deer.  You may like to read the story of how he got it follow the link below. This story and a couple of others are out on my web site.

Bibbyman's hunting stories

To get to the home page of the Bibbyman web site,  just click on the little house to the left.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WV_hillbilly

Tom

On a more serious note an urban hunt occurs within the city limits with a bow only no firearms allowed. They have these cause the subdivisions keep building further into the farm areas and the deer eat all of their expensive landscaping and damage their expensive cars when they stand in the road.So someone complains to many deer and something must be done to curb their nasty habits. The way I look at it the city folk are tresspassing on the deer's home territory not the other way around. People have even done feasability studies on using birth control shots to controll the herds. But this will not happen cause of the cost  .they think the DNR should pay the bill.As usual they have enough cash to build a big house next to the woods but want someone else to pay to clean up a mess they started.

Bibbyman

Thats a fine looking buck your son got.  Kudos and keep up the good work.If more kids hunted and fished they wouldn't have time to get into so much trouble .

Tillway

That was my dream of having a wife that hunted with me but reality set in and I decided that I liked having my time away also. So I go hunting and she goes Christmas shopping. It works out great for both of us we both get to do something we dearly enjoy.

Around here if you get a deer that weighs over 150 lbs. its a big one. most of them barely make it over 100 lbs.
Hillbilly

DonT

Greetings all,I just returned from my field trip to Northern Ontario.No moose for me this year.Saw lots of moose but did not have an adult tag,so ended up doing my shooting with my camera.Grouse hunting was good andDad and I brought home 21.The area that we go to is bigtime logging country.One new cut we travelled was 35 km's long and about 4km's wide.I always marvel at the size of the equipment used in this area,and how much they can do in a short time.Got to watch the harvesters in action as well.    Don

Ron Scott

Did you get any photos of the Logging Equipment to post on the Forum Thread for that subject?
~Ron

DonT

Sorry Ron, no photo's.About seven years ago I shot my first moose,took all the appropriate photos,field dressed the moose,loaded it in the truck and then proceeded to drive off with the camera on the back bumper of the truck,I replaced my wifes camera but for some reason she always buys me one of those disposable units to take on my excursions afield.I have tried to take distance pictures with these in the past with poor results.Understandably  Kimberly-Clark posts there work areas so that there workers are not in any danger during the hunting season.I do have pictures of some of the spruce cuts.I do not how ever posses the technology to post them(yet)  Don

Thank You Sponsors!